PDA

View Full Version : New to black powder

RangerDoc
April 18, 2013, 01:53 PM
I'm getting the bug to get a Civil War era BP rifle, probably a Pedersoli copy of a 1858 Enfield 2 band rifle musket. Can anyone direct me to a good website for a comprehensive introduction to shooting this rifle? Also, I'm having trouble locating a local source for musket- size percussion caps and minie balls.

Doc Hoy
April 18, 2013, 02:54 PM
As far as an good intro, this is the place. Before long, you will have four responses to your original post from guys who take this stuff very seriously.

My experience with muzzle loading long arms is minimal and not contemporary but I will venture a guess you will need number 11 caps. They can be bought at a Cabelas or Bass Proshop store.

4V50 Gary
April 18, 2013, 07:53 PM
Go to a Rendezvous or to the N-SSA shoot in Virginia. Also check out the N-SSA website for used guns.

chickenmcnasty
April 19, 2013, 07:54 AM
I started off looking at a hawken. I ended up buying a Kentucky, Hawken, Colt Walker and now a Brown Bess. Every penny that has been spent on this new addiction has been money well spent. At least until my wife pulls out the calculator...
I can't speak to that particular style of rifle/musket. All I know is that you will have a lot of fun in the details.

Rifleman1776
April 19, 2013, 07:59 AM
A CW rifled musket means CW reenactors can give you the best advice. Search for those organizations and look for one near you. There are many sources of muzzle loading guns and accessorites. CW items are among what most sell. The one you mention may require musket (top hat) caps. Do some studying before you make your investment.

RangerDoc
April 21, 2013, 08:01 PM
Thanks to all. Rifleman 1776 is correct- tophat musket primers are required. My friendly local gunsmith gave me 400 primers that he had laying around and a lb of triple seven FFg powder. I'm still looking for minie balls but have found one source.

Comancheseven
April 21, 2013, 10:01 PM
Welcom to the Black Powder sickness, just to let you know, there is no cure (Thank Goodness) I shoot a T/C Hawken 54 / Colt Navy & even a Philly Derringer. They are a bunch of fun, Hunt with the 54 dead on at 100 yards.
Welcome to the BP club, I hope you have many hours of White Smoke Fun.
Dave

histed
April 23, 2013, 12:16 PM
You might try Dixie Gun Works for a 58 Springfied or a similar Zouve/Enfield style CW replica. Track of the Wolf also used to sell decent replicas, but I've not visited their site lately. Any, welcome to the addiction!