PDA

View Full Version : Night Vision Question

tank1949
April 17, 2013, 08:58 PM
I have been investigating purchasing two night vision devices: a set of goggles and a weapon's sight to mount on an M1A. Thermal is the best but I cannot afford this "gold." Hence, I am pursuing starlight type 3rd gen goggles and a 4th gen starlight weapon's sight. ATN has some attractive prices and equipment but their sales rep (over phone) provided some vague responses to my questions. I didn't know if the ATN PS 15-3 allowed the use of prescription eyeglasses. I wear them. I have also heard a few complaints about their weapon sights concerning poor design in handling recoil. I am interested in the ATN MARS6X-4, and if is not able able to stand recoil greater than a 308, then it is worthless. This seem odd and perhaps persons who complained just received defective scopes? If anyone has some advice on this equipment, please respond. THX!

Lurking
April 19, 2013, 01:56 AM
Dude, I didn't quite understand your question. You say you can't afford Thermal but those units you're talking about in total cost more than it.

Double Naught Spy
April 19, 2013, 10:11 AM
I would avoid ATN high end night vision. I had poor luck with their CS and would not want to get stuck with a less than great product and deal with CS that isn't helpful.

Aside from the debate about the reality of "Gen IV" existing or not, if you can afford what you are describing, then you can afford a thermal rifle scope, as noted above.

k9barco
April 19, 2013, 11:18 AM
TNVC is a good source of info and has great CS. Maybe you should consider a PVS-14, they can be had for under 3000. I got a refurb for 2375 shipped.

tank1949
April 19, 2013, 03:45 PM
Thx for response but thermal prices has been 15 grand or more each. Where can I get thermal goggle and weapons both for under 10 grand???????

Double Naught Spy
April 19, 2013, 06:34 PM
You can't right now, but you could buy a FLIR PS-24 or PS-32 1x thermal scope for spotting and then there are a variety of thermal rifle scopes under $7500. You could come in under $10K.

In other words, if you want thermal, don't get hung up on buying goggles. Goggles may have some advantages, but cost and weight are not amongst them.

tank1949
April 22, 2013, 08:57 AM
Does anyone know if you can wear gggles with prescription eyeglasses?