PDA

View Full Version : Sig custom shop

Roland Thunder
April 16, 2013, 02:23 PM
I think I am going to get either the Action Enhancement Package or the Short Reset Trigger package done on my Sig 226. I talked to Sig on the phone to try to ascertain the difference and the way he explained it was that the SRT would only help the reset to enable quicker follow up shots but the AEP would smooth out the trigger and take up some of the slack and over travel.

I used to be a pretty good shot with my Sig until I started shooting a 1911 with a trigger job. Now I can't shoot the Sig worth a hoot without jerking the gun and flinching. It sounds to me like the AEP will take more of the slack and play out of the trigger and make it more 1911 type smooth.

Your take?

BarryLee
April 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
I have the SRT on my P220 and P229 and really like the overall feel of the trigger. However, I cannot really comment on what the Enhancement Package might offer. I am just curious if you discussed the possibility of doing both packages and what the cost might be? I assume much of the labor would be the same for both packages, so maybe they could cut you a deal.

TunnelRat
April 16, 2013, 03:15 PM
I used to be a pretty good shot with my Sig until I started shooting a 1911 with a trigger job. Now I can't shoot the Sig worth a hoot without jerking the gun and flinching.

I might sound like an a-hole, but honestly it just sounds like you need some practice with SIGs again. I don't believe in buying things to make you a better shot.

Roland Thunder
April 16, 2013, 03:46 PM
I don't believe in buying things to make you a better shot.

No one is asking you too.

ClydeFrog
April 16, 2013, 03:56 PM
The SIG custom shop may be the way to go.
I'd advise checking the site of top SIG Sauer pistolsmith Bruce Gray.
Gray's website was Gray Guns but I think they changed the name.

There was a west coast shop called TJ's Gunworks but Im not sure if he's still open. I read over the website & he said he charges customers for phone conversations, :confused: , saying it costs him $ to speak to customers because he can't work on firearms.

If Bruce Gray can't meet your needs Im sure the SIG Sauer custom shop could.

CF

cbennettx
April 16, 2013, 04:56 PM
I shoot both Sigs and 1911's, and the truth is, the triggers just aren't the same. Quite frankly, the platforms are totally different. You aren't going to turn the Sig trigger into a 1911 trigger.

But, should you decide to enhance the Sig trigger, I suggest you send it to Bruce at Grayguns..

BigJimP
April 16, 2013, 05:05 PM
I think the enhancement package is the way to go....

Its hard to transition between platforms like a well tuned 1911 ..and a wide double stack gun like the 226 ( I have both as well )...and as a result, I don't shoot the Sig 226's as much as I thought I might.

but I think the enhancement package, as Sig describes it, will probably make the transition easier. I don't think the SRT will help much at all.

TunnelRat
April 16, 2013, 07:11 PM
A good friend of mine sent his P220 in for the action enhancement. The end result was a smoother and lighter pull in both DA and SA. The SA pull is very light now, as light as a SAO trigger, and the DA pull is probably between 7 and 8 lbs. However neither of us feel like it really changed the length of takeup or the slack in the trigger. Do I think it was worth it? He was having his sent in to do some service so yea it made sense to add it on.

Making a SIG P226 into a 1911 is a losing battle. They're different guns, great in their own ways.

Roland Thunder
April 17, 2013, 03:06 PM
Its hard to transition between platforms like a well tuned 1911 ..and a wide double stack gun like the 226

Ya, I found that to be true. As I mention in my OP, I was shooting the Sig pretty well until I started shooting 1911's, now it's back to the drawing board.

BigJimP
April 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
Personally, I just enjoy them for what they each are.....

Some range days....I just make it a Sig day ...( and take one of the 226's, the X-Five and one of the 239's )....and just run thru my drills. Clean them - put them away ..

and happily go back to my Wilson 1911's....:D

( the Sigs don't come out to play that much / but it sure doesn't mean they aren't very nice guns....they just aren't 1911's...)

Wreck-n-Crew
April 17, 2013, 03:38 PM
Check your finger on the trigger. How are your groups? Just need more data, but if you start switching guns often it can throw you off. If your grouping well but off to left or right...

This is for right hand shooting left.
I have seen this before when shooting a big revolver for a long time. Don't know if that's the case or not here but trigger placement is so different between the two.

Your fingernail must always lineup with the center of the trigger and if you have been use to stretching your finger out to reach a trigger on a big 44mag, you may be curling your finger around the trigger. This will have you shooting left every time.

Grab it the way you have been use to and don't think about it. Put your finger on the trigger, pull it then check your finger placement. The first joint (bend/crook) in your trigger finger should never ouch the trigger.

If you are left handed,shooting left of target, you need to stop riding the outside edge of the trigger and move inward till the fingernail is in the center of the trigger.

You go to a lighter gun from a heavy gun, you start to see how much little things throw your show off.

Kochman
April 19, 2013, 01:57 PM
Price difference?

Also, you can install the SRT at home...