PDA

View Full Version : Can somebody tell me what this means

Metal god
April 15, 2013, 02:09 AM
I've read this a few times and I'm not sure what this is saying . The bill Proposes a ban on semi-auto firearms equipped with bullet buttons.
The quote below is what is said to have been introduced . I don't understand . Is it incomplete ?

SB 47, as introduced, Yee. Assault weapons.
Existing law finds and declares that the proliferation and use of assault
weapons poses a threat to the health, safety, and security of Californians.
Existing law generally prohibits the possession or transfer of assault
weapons, except for the sale, purchase, importation, or possession of
assault weapons by specified individuals, including law enforcement
officers.
Under existing law, a person who lawfully possessed an assault
weapon before the assault weapon was a prohibited firearm is authorized
to retain possession of the assault weapon if the person registered the
assault weapon with the Department of Justice.
This bill would state the intent of the Legislature to enact legislation
relating to assault weapons.
Vote: majority. Appropriation: no. Fiscal committee: no.
State-mandated local program: no.
The people of the State of California do enact as follows:
line 1 SECTION 1. It is the intent of the Legislature to enact
line 2 legislation relating to assault weapons.
O

Librarian
April 15, 2013, 02:28 AM
That's out of date.

See http://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/billNavClient.xhtml?bill_id=201320140SB47 for current bill information and status.

Senator Yee introduced that version in December so he could get a low bill number.

See also http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=701762

Metal god
April 15, 2013, 02:57 AM
Thanks for the links

Holy cow that is going to suck .

If I may ask some questions that get legally technical .

1) If you buy a stipped lower in CA it just gets written up as a long gun only . That would not need to be registered right ? because It does not have any of the so called evil features .

2) what if you just take the upper off a A2 style AR . It would not have a telescoping stock ,foreward grip , flash hider etc . Would that no longer be an assault weapon .

3) I did not see anything talking about the ability too . Meaning If I had all the parts but the firearm was not put together would I need to register it because I had the ability to build one .

This is freaking me out . Registration leads to confiscation .

I really only have one AR I bought complete from a store so that one is what it is . I will register it if push comes to shove

Tom Servo
April 15, 2013, 12:54 PM
If you buy a stipped lower in CA it just gets written up as a long gun only
Not true. Lowers get written up as "other firearm."

Metal god
April 15, 2013, 05:39 PM
"other firearm

Can you elaborate an this ? I was told by my LGS that they are all wrote up as long guns meaning rifles . What does other firearm mean ? I noticed the last time I bought a lower they put a caliber on the paper work 5.56 . I was a little surprised by this only cus the plan for that one is to be a 6.8mm . Is this normal as well to put a caliber on the paper work when it can be one of many .

Tom Servo
April 15, 2013, 06:01 PM
It sounds like they're not doing their paperwork correctly. According to a 2009 memo [pdf] (www.atf.gov/files/press/.../07/070709-openletter-ffl-gca.pdf), frames and receivers no longer qualify as "long guns" on the 4473 and are to be recorded as "other firearm." Same goes for pistol-grip shotguns without shoulder stocks.

Additionally, if the receiver isn't stamped for a particular cartridge, it would be marked as "multi."

Metal god
April 15, 2013, 06:25 PM
Interesting Thank you very much . I think I will bring that up to them next time I in there .

Librarian
April 15, 2013, 07:49 PM
FEDS have handgun, long gun, other firearm. CA has just handgun, long gun. That leads to some confusion.

A lower, not yet built into either a long gun or a hand gun, usually gets recorded in the Dealer's Record Of Sale (DROS) software as 'long gun' but could go either way.

Tom Servo
April 15, 2013, 08:36 PM
FEDS have handgun, long gun, other firearm. CA has just handgun, long gun. That leads to some confusion.
Ah, so we're talking about DROS. I was under the impression 4473's were the subject.

Metal god
April 15, 2013, 09:02 PM
I know the DROS is ( dealers record of sale ) I'm not sure what the 4473 is or which one my LGS was referring to when telling me about the lowers and classifying them as long guns

Tom Servo
April 15, 2013, 09:15 PM
The 4473 is the federal form you fill out when buying a gun.

sigcurious
April 15, 2013, 09:41 PM
Metal,
The 4473 is in the stack of papers they hand you to fill out. It looks like this (http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/Form-4473/ATF-FORM-4473-pg1.gif). Although there are more pages to it.

Metal god
April 15, 2013, 10:26 PM
If I remember correctly the name or model of the firearm is never on that paper and just rifle or hand gun . It may have said other firearm . It is always filled out for me except for the questions . My LGS computer prints that out all filled out and they just ask me to confirm all the info is correct . Is the firearm info on another page of those papers ?

Tom I do appreciate your help but when you say it's the paper they give you to fill out . Thats not much to go on . In CA they have you jump through so many hoops and fill out so many papers , take test and what not . It can get a little confusing . I just want my firearm please can I have it , how I feel some times .:(

Librarian
April 16, 2013, 03:27 AM
Page 2 of the Federal 4473 (http://www.ocshooters.com/Gen/Form-4473/ATF-FORM-4473-pg2bg.gif) has the gun info at the bottom.

Last time I bought a handgun, the FFL had me use the on-line 4473; I filled in my part, shop filled in its part.

Got printouts of both the 4473 and the DROS, signed a bunch of things, fingerprinted the DROS print.