PDA

View Full Version : Dumb parts question

odugrad
April 5, 2013, 06:34 PM
I have a dumb question and I'm a little embarassed to ask: Does the ejector on a semi-auto handgun have a spring? I know the extractor does. But I always thought the ejector was a stationary part and didn't require a spring.

BigJimP
April 5, 2013, 06:59 PM
No, its not a stupid question...but it varies a little by the model of the gun you're talking about...

On a 1911... the ejector is a solid part ( no spring).../ for an internal extractor on a 1911, it is itself a spring - but there is no spring on the extractor. The extractor rides in a slot in the slide - and is tensioned by the "spring steel" that its made of. On a 1911 with an external extractor ...yes there is a spring in the slide behind the extractor.

On guns like Sig Sauers 226's ....they have external extractors - and they have springs behind the extractors. The ejectors on all of the sigs are all solid parts - no springs.

I can't think of a gun - where the ejector has a spring....

ScottRiqui
April 5, 2013, 06:59 PM
As far as I know, the ejector is usually fixed in place. I know the 1911 ejector is.

odugrad
April 5, 2013, 07:30 PM
Thanks. I have heard some people talk about ejector springs and I'm a little confused. I have Sig 226s, SA XDMs, and a Beretta PX4 and I believe they all have fixed ejectors.

James K
April 5, 2013, 08:46 PM
There have been a few pistols with spring loaded ejectors, but usually when someone refers to an "ejector spring" they really mean "extractor spring". Quite a few folks get the terms confused.

To add to the confusion some revolver makers call the part on the back of the cylinder an "ejector" (Ruger), while others call it an "extractor" (S&W).

Jim

BigJimP
April 6, 2013, 10:38 AM
Its easy for folks to get confused on ejectors vs extractors....or maybe someone just mis-spoke....

g.willikers
April 6, 2013, 11:17 AM
Some long guns have springs in the ejectors.
So, maybe that's where the notion comes from.