PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here ever...

Pistola Pedro
March 21, 2013, 01:30 PM
Anyone here ever switch from carrying a polymer ( Glock, USP, Walther P99/PPQ, M&P, FNX, etc. ), to a 4 or 5 inch 1911? Did you end up switching back? Did you like the switch? Did you have any problems with corrosion on the 1911? Just interested. I can realistically only afford one or the other for the foreseeable future and am somewhat thinking about trading up to a 1911, but the weight and wear resistance compared to the polymer wonders that you can stuff in a holster and give very little attention to, so those with experiences are premium advisors to me!
Thanks fellas,
Pete

BigJimP
March 21, 2013, 02:04 PM
No, my parents were married, so I can't buy a poly frame gun...:D ...just kidding...

Carrying a 1911, does not create any corrosion issues, in my opinion. But neither should you neglect the maintenance on your carry gun - whether its poly or steel / its only the frame thats poly on a poly gun anyway - the slides are all steel ....it should be kept clean and properly lubed - in my opinon.

I carry a 5" 1911 in .45 acp most of the time..a steel gun / and its not my primary practice gun, but I still put a box a week thru it or so..../ and I field strip and clean it after every range trip.

I take it out of the holster when I get home / I carry in a horsehide leather - Kramer holster....and I don't leave it in the holster overnight ...or day after day.
( I'm not going to a poly frame gun anytime soon / or ever for that matter...but its because I shoot the 1911 the best, the trigger is what makes it a great platform - trigger moves straight back and forth in the frame ...its not hinged like a Sig or Glock trigger where it has to swing thru a long arc as it breaks and resets )....but the point is, to me anyway, you should carry the gun you shoot the best ( best trigger, best sights, best grip angle, what fits your hands the best, in what holster you like the best...)...and whether its poly frame or steel ...except in terms of overall weight ...in a good holster, with a good belt ...is probably no big deal.

I don't know what the gross weight of a Glock 17 or whatever with 17 rds of 9mm is .....or a Glock mod 21 in .45 acp with 13 rds or so weighs ..vs a full sized 1911 with 8 + 1 rds in it of .45 acp ( is about 45 oz or so) - and a full sized steel 1911 in 9mm with 10 + 1 rds in it is about the same 45 oz.

Pistola Pedro
March 21, 2013, 02:54 PM
I agree with your point about the wonderful trigger of the 1911 and I happen to know that I shoot it quite well ( I am sadly separated from my Trojan 9mm ).
What type are you using? How often do you wipe down and oil?

Hans
March 21, 2013, 03:06 PM
I did for a while, and switched back. The extra weight was just too much for me. Also, the extra cost of .45 ammo was a factor, which I wasn't smart enough to plan ahead for. I fell a bit for the "need something bigger than a 9 for self defense" that a friend was pitching me. Switched back and haven't looked back since.

However, if you are considering selling a polymer to get a 1911, I would say save up for the 1911 instead. Never hurts to have two, and that way you can switch back if you want to.

Just remember, my advice is worth what you paid for it. :)

BigJimP
March 21, 2013, 03:07 PM
My carry gun is a Wilson Combat CQB model, 5", in .45 acp....

I field strip it every time I shoot it ...and clean and lube it of course.../ I just wipe it down with a gun rag when I take it off my belt if I haven't shot it - no reason to reoil it, unless I've been out in heavy weather ( and that's almost never ..).

this is my primary carry gun...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=87077&d=1360863612
-------
I'm old school ...so I like the .45 acp ....but a 1911 in 9mm is fine for carry too. I have a few 1911's in 9mm ( a Kimber, a Baer and a Wilson )...and I can carry one of them as well ...with some kind of a 147gr defensive round..).../ I'm not a big fan of an alloy frame gun - but in 9mm its fine / in
9mm in a 1911, I use wilsons mags in them and they're 10 + 1 rds - good mags in either .45acp or 9mm in my experience.

-Xero-
March 21, 2013, 03:33 PM
I have an XD, 5" bbl. Glock laser sight, 45 ACP, 14 rd/10rd compact mags. I went to a Smith Mod. 60 stainless snub in .357 mag.

Why?

Because I can leave the revolver loaded and not worry about compressing mag springs. It's been loaded now for well over a year. Most days my CCW is having it in the jacket pocket on my Harley, or in the cab of the truck.

I spend a lot of time in a SAFE social environment w/ a 3 yr. old. "Uncle Xero" doesn't need to be packing heat around his adopted grand-niece.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/196107_449145171769971_1672386151_n.jpg

B.O.F.H.
March 21, 2013, 09:00 PM
Magazine springs don't wear out from remaining loaded but carry whatever you want:)

I went to a 1911 for a while, then beretta 92a1. If I must go smaller, hasn't happened yet, I have a poly framed h&k in the safe. Corrosion should not be an issue so long as the gun comes out the holster for range trips, dry fire and nightstand duty.

CWKahrFan
March 21, 2013, 09:37 PM
... but the weight ...

Yep... 1911's are great, but with all the nice poly guns out there now, many of which weigh only half as much, a 1911 for EDC is passe for me.

I'm just an ordinary guy in an ordinary city going ordinary places... not a LEO... Why should I lug around 2 1/2 lbs. of gun?

allaroundhunter
March 21, 2013, 09:58 PM
I started off with a Glock 19, then threw an M&P9 into the mix... Now my main carry is a Colt Commander in .38 Super; though the other two pistols still make their way into the carry rotation now and again.

Weight? I don't notice a difference, a good holster is a huge help.

Do I like the switch? Yea, I do. I like the .38 Super round more for defensive uses than the 9mm.

Wear and corrosion? None to speak of... In the Texas heat, when I take the gun off I just wipe it down and it is good to go when I pull it out of the safe for the next day.

SauerGrapes
March 21, 2013, 09:59 PM
Xero,
That's one doll baby of a grand daughter. :D

I just started carrying a full size 1911 a couple months ago. The slim profile of a 1911 makes it much easier to carry than other full size handguns IMHO. You DO need a good holster and belt to carry big guns. The finish on a good quality 1911 will stand up to whatever mother nature can throw at it.
All guns require routine maintenence, the 1911 is no different.

It is easier to carry than my former carry gun which is no light weight either.
{S&W 4006}
I like steel guns. I do have one sub compact single stack poly gun for certain situations.

jimbob86
March 21, 2013, 10:11 PM
I'm just an ordinary guy in an ordinary city going ordinary places... not a LEO... Why should I lug around 2 1/2 lbs. of gun?

You don't need to carry a 2.5lb gun to have a 1911: Mine weighs 26 oz.

Pistola Pedro
March 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
Thanks for the replies fellas. I hear the "just save up and buy another" comments and understand them, but the reality of it is that would be a two year project at least with my monthly "allowance" that I have budgeted. Yes, I do have a very strict budget that I stick to and it is probably one of the reasons that I have no idea how comfortable my couch is to sleep on. My favorite combo I ever had was my Trojan and P2000sk, but I don't have that kind of money and I didn't back then either, which is why I had to sell them both back off (I was a pretty stupid kid)
BigJimP, that is a really nice Wilson you have there, and to your point about 9mm, it would most likely be an STI in 9mm that I would switch to. If you would like to get rid of one your 9mm 1911's though, I'd be willing to help! :D
Xero, your grand niece reminds me very much of my own niece. I am often around kids and it makes me feel MORE inclined to carry. Funny how different folks react to a given situation. Not saying one is right or wrong, just different and I respect that.
I'm thinking I'll need to just stick to what my current system is (FNP-9) until I can perhaps go with a 1911/subcompact and then ditch the middle man.
Pete

BigJimP
March 22, 2013, 10:41 AM
We all have budgets man.....just be patient.../ the baby in my family is 35 now ..( I wasn't buying a lot of guns when I was raising kids and had a lot of bills to pay either )...

-Xero-
March 22, 2013, 02:15 PM
Xero,
That's one doll baby of a grand daughter.

Thank you. Yes she is, and smart too. She turns 3 next week. She's my "adopted grand-god-niece." (Friend's daughter)

I was thinking about my carry options. I have at least one holster, and sometimes three or more for any of them:

.32 NAA Guardian, 9mm Makarov (double stack Russian commercial version), CZ 52, 38 Spl Smith Mod. 10, .357 Smith Mod. 60 snub, .357 Ruger Security Six, 44 mag Smith 629 4" bbl., 44 mag. Ruger Super Blackhawk 10.5" bbl., 9mm Kahr MKII, Springfield 1911 Sub Compact, Springfield 1911 Mil Spec, .45 ACP Springfield XD 5" bbl.

I keep thinking a compact polymer 9mm would be a nice addition -- single stack, Ruger, Kahr. I can't warm up to Glocks.

I've been looking for "The Ideal EDC Gun" for a couple decades. We're still looking.

iblong
March 22, 2013, 02:16 PM
Yep,emty nester here to.
Bought more guns the last 5 yrs than the rest of my life combined.

Tactical Jackalope
March 22, 2013, 02:19 PM
More than the aspect of metal vs polymer. I'd be more concerned with the mechanisms of the gun. A manual safety lever on a 1911 after being used to no manual safety such as a Glock or M&P and such.

That kind of move isn't safe. I feel it's playing with fire.

Depends on your training. I stopped carrying 1911's after I found out through trial and error that muscle memory and under stress...I'm trained for no external safety of any kind. So yes, I briefly went to that code of arms and then quickly went back to my Glocks.

I'd say stay where you are now.

454me
March 23, 2013, 09:49 AM
I did. Went from a Glock model 20 to a Kimber custom classic after the explosion and never looked back. I am looking at the Rock Island Amory Tactical II in 10 mm as I like that round to.

Big555
March 23, 2013, 03:16 PM
I carried a Kimber Raptor Pro stainless for about a year. It was my first pistol used as cc. I def had some corrosion problems on the slide but it was covered under warranty and 4 weeks after sending it in I got it back looking like new. Since then I have switched to a sig p220 and finally a Glock 30sf. Hands down I like the Glock better. First off the Glock is way more dependable. Not even a hiccup in 700 rnds. With the Kimber 1911 I would have at least one in ever 100 rnds. Second magazine size on all single stack 1911 is less than any comparable polymer framed pistol I can think of. Lastly field strip and cleaning of a stainless 1911 is rather time intensive. I would spend close to an hour making my 1911 look pretty again after a trip to the range. I love that my Glock literally takes 60 seconds to strip clean oil and reassemble. Those would be my MAIN talking points, and as you can tell I would recommend steering clear of the 1911 if given the choice between owning only one.

jreXD9
March 23, 2013, 04:05 PM
I started carrying with XD's, went to a Kimber Compact Stainless II, back to XDM's and have settled on a CZ Rami 2075 9mm.

Topthis
March 23, 2013, 04:34 PM
Yep...used to carry an XD9 and then got the 1911 itch! I now carry a Dan Wesson Guardian in .45...no rusting or corrosion problems, no issues at all. It's Bobtailed, so it's great for carrying IWB. I will sometimes carry my Dan Wesson CBOB if I haven't cleaned my Guardian and I used to carry my 5" Les Baer when I first got it, but it printed too much for my tastes and went back to the Guardian.
As far as trading up...if you aren't having issues with your current carry right now and are able to handle your weapon and are competent and accurate...my advice would be to keep it and spend your money on family needs etc...oh, and ammo!!! Lots and lots of ammo!!!

ballardw
March 26, 2013, 12:10 AM
I carry differently depending on where, weather and appropriate clothing. In some cases the 1911 just wasn't concealable enough (our office chairs just wanted to catch the butt). The proper holster and I never noticed the weight of a steel framed 1911 Officers model any more than the polymer mouse gun.

MarkDozier
March 26, 2013, 01:49 AM
I think most of you are looney bin canidates. You talk like you believe there are guns other 1911's :eek:

Gunbunny1
March 26, 2013, 11:38 AM
I am a woman. I pack a 70 year old FN Browning 9m. Highly modified. Its too big for my little girl hands but nothing compares to the quality of the bang that it makes. I call it my "man stopper". You should see the looks on the faces of the old men in my local pawn/gun shop when I whip it out. LOL Heck...even the young men like it....its older than most of the men I know.

Tactical Jackalope
March 26, 2013, 11:52 AM
I am a woman. I pack a 70 year old FN Browning 9m. Highly modified. Its too big for my little girl hands but nothing compares to the quality of the bang that it makes. I call it my "man stopper". You should see the looks on the faces of the old men in my local pawn/gun shop when I whip it out. LOL Heck...even the young men like it....its older than most of the men I know.

^ you rock

I like my Brownings too. Awesome range guns.

Gunbunny1
March 27, 2013, 11:38 AM
Thank you. If I had to buy this pistol today....I could never afford it. Why do we not hear more about those good old trusty crusty Brownings? Seems like the affluent own a Smithy....or a Colt....or them maybe you might hear of a Buckmark....but a FN Browning 9? Find me another one and I'll smile for you.

KC Rob
March 27, 2013, 01:57 PM
I switched from a Glock 30 to a Kimber Pro Carry II and love it. The Glock was too bulky with the double stack grip and with seemed just as heavy as my aluminum framed Kimber. Shortly thereafter my wife dropped her Glock 17 for a 9mm Kimber Pro Carry II. She was sold on the trigger and external safeties of the 1911 platform. Now we are an all 1911 family, the way God intended. :)