PDA

View Full Version : SAR-1 from AIM ?

Guyon
January 2, 2001, 02:16 PM
Been looking with interest at the Romanian SARs at Aim Surplus. I have a few questions.

1) Likely, I'll only own one AK rifle, so which of the three SARs would be the best? The 7.62x39 is the traditional round. For that reason alone, I'm leaning toward the SAR-1.

2) Which of the three rounds should be the most plentiful and cheapest? Any possible shortages in the future I should worry about?

3) Are these good rifles for the money? Have any of you had any problems I should know about?

4) I know I should ask them at AIM to pick out a rifle with straight sights, a straight gas block, and matching wood. Anything else?

5) Is AIM a good company to do business with, or should I just keep my eyes open at gun shows?

What can anyone here tell me about them?

Bulldog
January 2, 2001, 03:14 PM
Which of the three rounds should be the most plentiful and cheapest? Any possible shortages in the future I should worry about?

Cheapest = 7.62x39
Next Cheapest = 5.45x39
Most Plentiful = Toss-up between 7.62 & .223
Easiest to Find = .223 (Any Sporting Goods store should have it)

Shortages? None (that are imminent) that I've heard of.

If you're concerned about shortages, and you only plan on getting one AK, I'd stick with your plan - The SAR-1. 7.62x39 is inexpensive & plentiful, and it can be "collected" in great quantities over time. In addition, the magazines are plentiful and relatively inexpensive.

The SAR-2 is another good gun, but 5.45x39 can be hard to come by in some areas unless you order it via the Internet as I do from Ammoman (http://www.ammoman.com). Forget finding it in the Sporting Goods section of Wally World. Magazines are dirt-cheap - $4.99 from CDNN (http://www.cdnninvestments.com) the last I checked (I ordered 30 of 'em before I even had the gun). Recoil is light, and you can carry more ammo since it's lighter. K-Var (http://www.k-varcorp.com) carries various AK74 parts and accessories, including a front sight base/muzzle brake combo that is popular with the folks at AK-47.net (http://www.ak-47.net). Another point of interest, the SAR-2 is reportedly more accurate than the SAR-1 (ie: 1.5" - 2" groups vs. 3" - 4" groups at 100 yards).

Personally, from what I've read (no actual experience), I can't recommend the SAR-3. Most folks either love 'em or they hate 'em. They come with AK74 mags that are modified to accept the .223, but with decreased capacity. I've heard good and bad about the reliability of these converted mags. There are reliable steel 30-round .223 mags out there, but I've never seen them for less than $20, nor have I seen them in any store or pawn shop - Usually just in ads in the Shotgun News. Personally, I'd rather save the $20 for an AR mag than for an AK mag. Think about it -- Say you want/need 20 mags @ $20 each -- That's $400 -- $100 more than what the gun's going for.

I bought my SAR-2 from Aim without any problems. I also know several others who have dealt with them and are happy (The AK-47.net guys turned me on to them). Aim "aims" to please - If you have any problems, they'll make it right.

Here's my SAR-1 with Bulgarian polymer stock set and Bulgarian 30-rounder:
http://www.geocities.com/shootinbulldawg/akpics/sar1a.jpg

Here's my SAR-2 in unmodified form as it came from Aim (now has the Bulgie furniture on it):
http://www.geocities.com/shootinbulldawg/akpics/sar2right.jpg

(that's a "Made in East Germany" sticker on the mag, in case you were wondering)

[Edited by Bulldog on 01-02-2001 at 03:38 PM]

freedomlover
January 2, 2001, 03:15 PM
Guyon, I bought my SAR-1 from SOG last month, I have nothing but good things to say about it. Straight sights, nicely finished, matching wood, etc. Although I dealt with SOG, I've heard nothing but good things about AIM and their customer service. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them if the price was right. FWIW, I paid $289 for my SAR, plus shipping and tax of course. So here's my humble advice:
1. Stay with the 7.62x39 (SAR-1)--the 5.45x39 (SAR-2)isn't as common, and there are plenty of people who've had trouble with their SAR-3's, chambered for 5.56x45, or .223. Mags for the SAR-1 are cheap and durable, and Kalashnikov originally designed the AK for the 7.62x39.
2. No shortage of 7.62x39 yet, but an import ban could change all that. Buy a few thousand rounds while it's cheap and available.
3. The SAR's are an excellent value for the money, especially if you can get one manufactured in 2000--I've heard about some problems with the '99s (e.g., crooked sights, crooked gas blocks, etc.)
4. If what I've heard about AIM is correct, you don't need to worry about getting a piece of junk.
5. See #4.
Hope this helps!

freedomlover

DougB
January 3, 2001, 02:08 AM
I purchased two SAR-1's from AIM about a year ago. I helped several friends purchase them at the same time. We are all happy with them.

I recommend the 7.62x39 cartridge. Magazines are cheap and plentiful. Ammo is very cheap (about $79/1,000 rounds of Wolf). It is also an okay deer cartridge, and is usable in SKS rifles as well (I bought a couple after my AKs and enjoy them as well). I don't see much point in going for a high velocity .22 in these rifles (.223, etc.) - the rifles don't have great long-range accuracy, and recoil isn't a problem for semi-auto fire.

I've had good luck with AIM on several orders and agree that they are good folks to work with and try to please the customer. Nevertheless, I wouldn't count too much on having them pick out a rifle with good sights, matching wood, etc. I usually ask, and am generally pleased, but I honestly don't think they take much special care because you ask - once we got the wrong caliber rifle (which they were willing to exchange without question). I would go ahead and order, but not expect the wood to match. These rifles are a little roughly finised, but they work great and are a lot of fun. If anything is seriously wrong, I'm sure AIM will make it right. I don't think mis-matched wood or other "minor imperfections" fall into this category - not with a $300 AK.

Doug

9mmepiphany
January 3, 2001, 03:10 PM
i vote for the sar-2. we bought serveral, from century arms, sar-1's b4 the ban in '99. noone wanted to take a chance on the sar-2 because of the calibre (5.45 was about $160/1k + shipping at that time. i got 2 sar-2's because it was now or never, sold one to a friend, wish i had it back:(.

sar-2 is more accurrate, for serious shooting you can try ammo from dynamite nobel :eek:, than the sar-1, ammo is almost as cheap ($99/1k incl shipping:)), mags are cheaper, tougher and lighter (bakelite). the best thing so far is that it was designed for use with a red-dot sight that's just as tough :D (kobra, mounts on the side rail, is <$125)

the 7.62 and 5.45 are both built on the 39mm case, the 5.56 uses a 45mm case. i feel more comfortable trying to stay closer to the design specs.

Rex Feral
January 3, 2001, 03:59 PM
If you are only going to buy 1 AK, I'd reccomend 7.62x39, for price and availability of ammo.

AIM is a good place to deal with, if you request a rifle with straight sights and matching wood, they will pick one out for you. The 2 SAR-2s I got from them yesterday were excellent rifles.