PDA

View Full Version : scope or gun problem ?

rebs
March 9, 2013, 08:14 AM
I have a Remington 541 s and I put an older Weaver 4x scope on it. When I went to sight it in on an indoor 50 ft range I had to adjust the windage a lot, as it was about about 6 inches to the left. I adjusted the cross hairs until it was right on and when I shot the next 3 rounds it was about 2 inches to the right, I adjusted it again and it is right on. Then I went to the outdoor range 50 yds and it shot 4 inches to the right. I adjusted it again and got it right on.
Why would the windage change that much from 50 ft to 50 yds ? Is the scope not holding zero ? The scope is an older Weaver 4x -1 made in USA.

Mobuck
March 9, 2013, 08:24 AM
If there was a crosswind on the outdoors range, it's quite possible for the 22 bullets to show 4" of wind drift. Older scopes may show some"adjustment lag" when being adjusted. Often this will show up as over adjustment that later comes back to where it should be. The little springs that oppose the adjustment screws may be a little weak and need a little bumping to settle in. I often use a plastic screwdriver handle to tap the side of the adjustment turret or the front scope ring to encourage full movement.

rebs
March 9, 2013, 09:22 AM
Mobuck thanks for your reply.
there was no wind that day, that is why I am thinking maybe something might be wrong, I will see what happens next time I soot and like you said I will try tapping the turet

Bart B.
March 9, 2013, 09:40 AM
.22 long rifle bullets drift about 4 inches at 50 yards with a 40 mph cross wind.

I suggest your clamp the rifle in a vise someplace where you can look through it at something and move the adjustments. If they move consistantly up, down, left, right then they may be just fine. If they don't, the internal mechanics are bad and that would explain what's happening.

rebs
March 9, 2013, 02:34 PM
The crosshairs do move when adjusted but I don't think they are staying where I move them to. Like the scope is not holding zero, what would cause that ?

hooligan1
March 10, 2013, 03:44 PM
Old age. The good news there's a place you can send it to for repair, I want to say that it's Big Iron Sight Repair, but not sure. I think they rebuild old scopes as a business.