PDA

View Full Version : Went all-in for a Garand.....

jaughtman
March 1, 2013, 09:19 AM
So, I had put back the 650 from a bonus at work for a Service Grade HR Garand from the CMP. However, I had to drive through Anniston on the way to visit clients in Atlanta....long story short, I talked myself into the extra 300 for the Special Service Grade HR. Pics coming shortly. However, can some of you more experienced Garand collectors tell me how they get the "95%" condition metal for the Specials? Did they have spare recievers, barrels, etc. lying around and put new wood on them? Where did they come from, etc.? Leone simply told me it was "like new collector-grade metal" on them. Also, mine does have a couple of wear points on the metal - front sight, etc. Is there an easy way to touch up parkerizing?

J

madcratebuilder
March 1, 2013, 10:03 AM
Touch up with cold blue, it well blend in with the park finish. It's worth the extra $$$ IMHO for the upgraded Garand.

I've had a few rack grade and service grade, all nice shooters. I wanted something that shot a little better and ended up with a NM rifle with a Krieger barrel. Shoots better than I do:cool:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/M1%20Garand/DSCN0850.jpg
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/M1%20Garand/DSCN0852.jpg

kraigwy
March 1, 2013, 10:24 AM
My Garand was an old DCM Garand I got in the early 80s back when you got no choices and it was a Once a life time dea. (Things changed under the CMP).

Its a 6 diget 306XXX older WWII Garand. It came with wear marks and dings in the stock.

I left it alone. It's history, I like to set back and wonder what the rifle was doing, and who had it with it got those blimishes.

Same with my other surplus US militry rifles.

chris in va
March 2, 2013, 05:16 AM
I'm with Kraig, my Field grade has lots of...character.:cool:

madcratebuilder
March 2, 2013, 07:19 AM
:D

Most that "character" is from basic training at Ft Lewis, the mud, the rain and the firing line.

bcarver
March 3, 2013, 04:07 PM
I think the wood and metal are new productions or reproductions.
My special is the one with the new barrel,new wood,new stock metal and all other parts refinished. The only history to my gun was the date of manufacture.

Orlando
March 3, 2013, 08:28 PM
You are talking about two different rifles
There is a type Service Grade that has all correct orginal parts,origional finish with commercial stock
Then there is a type Service Grade with new commercial barrel, all refinished with new commercial wood

jaughtman
March 3, 2013, 10:14 PM
Mine is the HR Special Service - all original metal (dating late 1950's) in 95% condition that has been put in a new stock. The other ones are an original (refurnbished) SA reciever that has a new-production barrel and new stock. I am not sure why, but those are about $50 more than the one I bought - one would think the all-original metal would be more desireable than ones with just a reciever.

J