PDA

View Full Version : Springfield 1911 Range Officer front sight replacement options.

TX Slim
February 27, 2013, 09:50 AM
I purchased a SA Range Officer about a month ago. I have since fired about 300 rounds with it. This is not a carry gun or duty gun. I would like to keep the rear adjustable sights on it, but would like to replace the front sight with something a little more visible. I have looked at Kensights, Harrison Extreme and the Hi-Viz front sights. Im leaning towards the Hi-viz front sight. On the Hi-viz website, it states it will fit any SA 1911 except the Gi and Mil Spec models. I believe it would work with my pistol. Should I have any concern with this choice? Is it the correct size for my pistol? Will it work with my rear adjustable sights? Im new to 1911. Any other recommendations?

CPO15
February 27, 2013, 11:38 AM
I bought the RO a few weeks ago and was considering a change in both sights. Learned a lot from scrolling through a few pages of the following forum (many threads are titled to reference RO sights):

http://forums.1911forum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29

If the old threads don't address your issue, you could always post a new thread.

Love the gun, the accuracy is astounding. Hope you're happy with yours.

BTW: I used Testor's orange paint on the front sight and am quite pleased.

TX Slim
February 27, 2013, 12:12 PM
CPO, Did you put down a white coat first then the color? I also read that clear coat nail polish keeps dirt out of the paint. Did you do this too? How durable is it?

CPO15
February 27, 2013, 12:29 PM
No, too lazy to run out and get the white paint. I did use a nail clipper to cut the end of a round toothpick, then flattened it a bit to use as a very fine paintbrush. Put about four coats on. After that, I read a thread about "curing" the parkerized finish by applying oil and baking at low heat for an hour, did that and the paint is still quite bright and hard. The park looks better too.

I tried the nail polish on other guns over the years, and never got the brightness I wanted; the model paint is good. Also tried some day glow fishing lure paint and, while it was plenty bright, it didn't provide much durability.

I do think the white (appliance paint?) primer coat is a good method, just haven't tried it.