PDA

View Full Version : Here's one I haven't seen in a while - Truck/Trunk Guns

Bulldog
December 31, 2000, 02:18 PM
If legal in your state or occupation, what long gun rides in your truck or trunk? Any particular reason?

Truck Gun: Marlin 1894P, .44 Mag.

Why: I shoot it well, and it'll take care of just about any situation that might warrant it's use.

(With these cop-killing escapees running around Texas, I've been thinking about throwing in the AR15 - You never know...)

Dave P
December 31, 2000, 04:36 PM
I keep my mini 14 behind the back seat of my Chevy. I got it to be a tough little truck gun, and it is! Lo maintenance, etc.
By the way, I had the stainless PMI mags welded at the local shop, and re-drilled the latch-hole with more precision. They now have much less slop.

bou3
December 31, 2000, 06:15 PM
The only time I carry a gun in the truck is when I'm going out of anchorage.
I usually throw my co-pilot behind the seat.
Why? its a compact rifle that is real smooth to shoot, plus packs the thump for anything up here.

John Marshall
December 31, 2000, 11:26 PM
Although I don't have one, I would have to say bou3 has got just about the best truck gun you could find. They are handy and they will put a big thump on anything.

I don't carry a gun in my truck, other than the one on me, but if I did it would probably be my Win. 94 .45Colt just because that's what I have.

Blue Duck357
December 31, 2000, 11:58 PM
I've been meaning to switch over for some time due to replacement cost if stolen but I'm still carrying my Winchester M1 carbine with soft points and 3 15 round mags. It's short, quick into action and very accurate (great sights).

I'd really like to have a .357 or .44 Winchester trapper or Marlin with a ghost ring sight and retire the M1 to my home but as I just closed on my first house I won't be writing any checks for awhile.

Blue Duck

Jody Hudson
January 1, 2001, 12:24 AM
When I did have a truck and was out and about more; very remote areas, some of which were well known for active and nasty cattle rustling sherrifs and deputies (no kidding -- not many bad LEOs running around but we had a nest of them down there in the wilds of south central Florida at the time)... AND I knew I would be a possible target for various critters; crocks, gators, pigs, bulls, bear, cats, snakes, etc... I carried a long mag 870 with slugs and a .30 caliber Enforcer pistol which is an M-1 carbine made into an accurate but large pistol and uses the M-1 ammo and mags. My sidearms were a .38 with snake shot and a .44 Mag Black Hawk.

plateshooter
January 1, 2001, 07:36 AM
I know this isn't too exciting, but I keep an old H&R single shot 12 gauge with the barrel cut to 18.25" and a pouch of assorted slugs and shot shells. Everything fits into an M60 barrel case that I got at a gun show. It's been my vehicle gun for close to 25 years. I shoot and clean it a couple times a year just to make sure its working ok.

Spadone
January 1, 2001, 09:56 AM
I like to keep my old SMLE handy. In fact, it's the rifle I enjoy shooting the most.

BillX
January 1, 2001, 12:36 PM
M1 Garand and a couple bandoleers of loaded clips. Can take a coyote out to 200 yds and bust an engine block.

Speedy
January 1, 2001, 12:37 PM
I'm with bou3,

I always have my co-pilot in the truck in case I need to take a hike in the woods. I also usually have my HS Precision 25-06 AI on the off chance I see a coyote or some such varmint at longer range. This does NOT include any handguns I may have along.

Hardin
January 1, 2001, 01:38 PM
NO need to own any other longarm, either. Wants are one thing, and needs are another. if you actually NEEDED the meat,you wouldnt care about seasons, rules, sex, age,or type of animal, much less his trophy standing or fair play,now, WOULD you? If ever I NEED to take bears or elk, moose, walrus, I will simply get close enough, get a solid rest and BRAIN THEM, the way the Eskimos used to do, and the way deer poachers still do with their .22's.

Jody Hudson
January 1, 2001, 06:15 PM
Ahhhhhhhhh, Hardin, for meat of any size, I fully agree with you. I know (I should say I'm told as I've never seen it done) in West (by God) Virginia, the poachers use the .22 for black bear. I'm told by my eskimo friend that even the polar bear and grizzly poachers in Alaska use the .22... I find that rather incredible, and that they shoot for eye and ear shots out of a blind at the animal over bait. Regardless of the incredible tale of the Alaskan poachers, which I can't wrap my wits and agreement around... The caliber of choice for the meat hunter (meaning illegal hunter nowadays) here, for deer on down, is the .22 lr, and a careful head shot, just as you say. Luckily we have nothing dangerous in our woods here but feral cats and dogs...

For defense against dangerous two and four legged critters however, I preferrrrrrr something as close as possible to 12 oz of fragmenting bronze with a steel core at 6,000 fps. I don't have one of those however. The best I can afford is either a .223 or a 12 ga. one is the closest I can afford in speed and the other the best I can do in diameter and weight.

kerth
January 2, 2001, 08:37 AM
Ruger M77 MkII stainless synthetic with receiver sight, 30-'06, ugly but very durable. Fanny pack of 165 gr spire points and 200 gr cast. Cast bullets for plinking/varmits, 165 gr for legal meat hunting and yotes.

TABING
January 2, 2001, 08:58 AM
Either a 7mm or 8mm Mauser, or Enfield no.4 Mk2,
(oh yeah, sometimes an SKS)

I've seen documentary films of Eskimos killing Polar
Bear and Walrus with .22 rimfire. Brain shots at 10
feet of so. It really works, but they know what
they're doing.

DAL
January 2, 2001, 07:01 PM
My Gawd! There's not much margin for error at that range! If that's true, Eskimos must be some of the bravest people on earth.
DAL

Tom B
January 2, 2001, 07:09 PM
Usually carry a handgun but when I do carry a rifle its my Winchester Trapper 30/30 SCOUT rifle. :p

RiverRider
January 2, 2001, 07:30 PM
...what the heck is a "co-pilot"?

ctdonath
January 2, 2001, 08:14 PM
New York, of course, has stupid laws that practically prohibit just about any "trunk gun". But... (http://www.donath.org/Rants/NYSpecial)

Ezeckial
January 2, 2001, 08:51 PM
I don't carry a rifle very often...but when I do it's an old SKS Paratrooper (16.5" barrel) with a few stripper clips handy. I never carry it loaded, but with a modicum of practice a stripper clip can charge the rifle in a few seconds.
The AR is too expensive to toss behind the seat. The AK is too aggressive (also, the cost), but the SKS is a real trooper (albeit, not the most accurate trooper).

Arizona Fusilier
January 3, 2001, 12:32 AM
Russian SKS with 200 rounds in stripper clips/bandolier. Also, S&W M13 3" round butt with two speed loaders, and Winchester Model 1300 in cruiser-grip configuration. All are in holster/case/scabbard, so are not considered concealed weapons under Arizona law. My personal carry gun, unholstered, in the console IS a concealed weapon, so CCW permit and valid drivers license completes the picture.

ctdonath
January 3, 2001, 08:54 AM
The Alaskan Co-Pilot (http://www.wildwestguns.com/CoPilot/copilot.html) is a large-caliber take-down rifle. Cooper deems it one of the three best rifles available.

Strayhorn
January 3, 2001, 09:56 AM
Until he finally retired at age 78, my dad carried an M1 Carbine in his farm truck. He was familiar with it, it fit the space behind the seat exactly, and it took several decades of hard abuse with no lack of function. I shot it not long ago and it still shoots to POI and functions perfectly.

His younger brother still works our farm and has just "upgraded" to a Marlin (881, I think) in .22 Mag for his truck gun. It's all stainless with a synthetic stock, and he swears it's the best truck rifle he's ever had. For knocking over fox and assorted other varmints, it's done very well for him.

When I'm not behind a desk, I take my AR with a varmint upper I built a few years ago. Light, accurate and doesn't mind getting wet or dirty.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC

Dr.Rob
January 3, 2001, 12:07 PM
The Old 30-30 is still very popular out here in the west, as well as the pump shotgun. The old Marlin 336 takes a trip every year to elk camp as a back up rifle with my brother, and my 12 guage 870 goes to elk camp with me as a back up/and or bear gun loaded with slugs. Nothing is quite as versatile as a pump shotgun for a variety of needs. Mine wears a rifle sighted 21 inch rem choked barrel with a rifled tube. at close range (out to 50 feet) it has a very dense pattern with birdshot up to #6 size. Its even lightwieght enough for backpacking.

I saw a really promising 'truck gun" the other day in the Gun list.. it was a clip fed CZ 527 in 7.62x39.. looked really slick. (its also available in 223)

Denver's new laws suggest that you should NOT drive around in the city limits with a rifle rack loaded for bear, but its my understanding if you are just 'passing through" you are alright. PS and don't keep it loaded.