PDA

View Full Version : what to put on other side of shoulder rig?

navaho
December 31, 2000, 01:31 AM
Just for fun, I'm thinking about getting a 1970's style shoulder holster (Galco Miami Classic or Jackass style), for a pre-sellout S&W 686 6" revolver.

What should I do to balance the other side? (ie, I won't have extra magazines as a counterweight). And I'm trying to avoid tie-down straps and uncool looking stuff like that.

Since revolvers used to rule the cop world, I'm sure SOMEONE has a solution for this. Care to clue me in?

Thanks!

bedlamite
December 31, 2000, 02:16 AM
How about another holster, with a matching gun. :D

Jeff OTMG
December 31, 2000, 03:58 AM
Ammo is a good choice. Speed loaders can be bulky but a couple of dump pouches or say 4 speed strips might be neat. You can also have a knife sheath made, but be sure to consider the laws of your area. In Texas we can carry a fixed bladed knife up to 5.5 inches and still be legal so the Russell Sting and Gerber boot knives are popular. Also the Cold Steel SRK and Tanto.

therealkaos
December 31, 2000, 09:18 AM
i like the idea about adding a second gun to other side.

JohnK007
December 31, 2000, 10:21 AM
I carried a set of cuffs on the other side when I used to carry my 2.5" M-19 in a Jackass rig. That was in the good old days before semi's took over the cop world.

Ed Brunner
December 31, 2000, 01:44 PM
The best thing I can suggest is a BHP with a 17 rd mag. That is 18 rounds backup with no reloading.

gumshoe4
December 31, 2000, 02:10 PM
I'm with JohnK007-cuffs and speedloaders-although I could also make a good argument for a J-frame on the other side.

Whatever floats your boat will work, although I would draw the line at a can of Campbell's soup.

WESHOOT2
December 31, 2000, 08:27 PM
Frankly, the 6" will carry very uncomfortably. Best advice is auto or 3" wheel.
My 4" Security Six poked a hole through my jacket while wearing my (original) Jackass rig.

For best balance mount twin gun on 'weak' side. (Ask me why I own matching pairs of pistols.)(No, don't.)

navaho
January 1, 2001, 03:40 AM
I like the idea of carrying cuffs on the opposite side.

WESHOOT2:
Interesting point you make about the 6" being too long....
How'd your 4" poke a hole through your jacket? Did the muzzle poke through the back?

Thanks.

----
BTW, it turns out neither of the older model rigs (Jackass and Miami Classic) will work for a 6". Instead, Galco's web site (http://www.galcoholsters.com) recommends their "Explorer Vertical Holster Component", whic holds the gun vertical (muzzle down). Somehow that just doesn't seem as "cool" as the original style. Oh well.

WESHOOT2
January 1, 2001, 11:55 AM
Riding motorcycles.

Went to a movie one night, was getting WAY too many stares. Went to restroom, was exiting when caught reflection in mirror. There, bigger than [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color], was the muzzle of my stainless Security Six!
Went to cross-draw behind hip; very fast weak-hand, and still accessible to strong hand. (Suprised a BG once with that speedy left-handed draw LOL!)

Seriously, suggest matching gun, or additional ammunition carry. Cuffs can join ammo carrier.

RustyRP
January 1, 2001, 03:10 PM
cell phone in a pouch (with some OC?)

Badger Arms
January 1, 2001, 03:50 PM
Two grenades! :eek:

Lance Gothic
January 2, 2001, 01:11 AM
Sub-hilt fighter!

9mmepiphany
January 2, 2001, 07:46 PM
ideally another L-frame would balance perfectly and give the quickest "reload" in a revolver... i think the 6" might be a bit long for the slanted carry, the alessi vertical swivel is probably the best carry rig for a long barrel...works great for the 8.375" m-27 and 6" python

my 2nd choice would be gothic's sub-hilt fighter

navaho
January 2, 2001, 10:33 PM
Okay, I give up: what in the world is a "sub-hilt fighter"?

---

BTW, has anyone ever seen a cell phone/OC pouch that would attach to the offside of a shoulder holster rig?

JWR
January 3, 2001, 10:07 AM
I think it's got a second guard that's placed between your forefinger and middle finger when you grip the hilt.

To balance out a shoulder harness, how bout a harness that holds three cans of Pabst Blue Ribbon? It won't taste any worse once it gets warm, and a thrown 12 oz can of beer would make one hell of a non lethal missle weapon.

9mmepiphany
January 3, 2001, 12:43 PM
navaho - a sub-hilt fighter is a modification of the classic battle blade, the bowie. picture a 7" bowie with the lower tang of the handguard curving backward to protect the fingers. then there is a 2nd guard, lower only, curving forward (but not touching the front guard) that fits between the index and middle fingers.

the sub-hilt (2nd guard) is to assist in withdrawing:o the blade when you get it stuck between the guys ribs, that'll teach you to stab with a slashing blade:D. it restricts your grip options, but very popular BG look:p

Anthony
January 11, 2001, 04:03 PM
Hello,

Order yourself a shoulder holster from Sam Andrews and have him mount a triple speedloader pouch that holds the loaders horizontally. It works really well under a light windbreaker. Mine also carries a sheath behind the loaders for a John Greco Mid Sized Tactical (MST) fighting knife.

- Anthony