PDA

View Full Version : Lubing a 1911

browninghunter86
February 20, 2013, 11:46 PM
Ok can someone help me with what type of lube to use on a new 1911? Do I want to use a grease or oil or combination? I used Rem Oil and it was dry withing 10 minutes. So I am in need of guidance.

Aguila Blanca
February 20, 2013, 11:55 PM
Courtesy of 1911Tuner and M1911.ORG: http://www.m1911.org/technic23.htm

RickB
February 20, 2013, 11:59 PM
An old rule of thumb is "grease if it slides, oil if it rotates".
I prefer, "grease if I can't readily reach it and so won't be re-lubing for a while, and oil if I can reapply between range trips".

ClydeFrog
February 21, 2013, 12:05 AM
New gun owners & entry level net-savvy shooters are all around the USA now. :D

For cleaning & lube, I'd suggest a synthetic CLP or maybe the great German product; Ballistol, www.Ballistol.com . Top choices include; www.gunzilla.us www.mpro7.com LPX, www.Weaponshield.com . I'd add some Hoppes #9 or Butchs Bore Solvent for the barrel. Include a slick Hoppes Viper barrel cleaner too. Brownells markets a 1911 series catalog for gun care parts, spare parts, gear. See: www.brownells.com .
Remember to use a small amount of gun oil or CLP. It's not like a salad dressing. Gunsmiths & LE armorers always say improper cleaning or using a lot of grease/oil is a big problem with semi-auto pistols.
For grease or lube products, see; www.glockstore.com www.midwayusa.com www.natchezss.com www.grafs.com .
A CLP like LPX or Gunzilla(used by many combat troops in SW Asia) is a good start.

Clyde

KyJim
February 21, 2013, 12:07 AM
Lots of good lubes but RemOil is toward the bottom of the list for this purpose. I use a lot of Mobil 1 5W-30 or 10W-30 full synthetic (brand IS important here as is the fact it is full synthetic). Even though it is oil, it stay on the rails.

Other good oils made specifically for guns include Militec-1 and Weapon Shield. I have found BreakFree CLP is a bit "thin" for this use, though I use it for other things.

browninghunter86
February 21, 2013, 12:25 AM
thanks for the link and info so far. I heard the gun will break in and not wear as much so wanting to break it in and keep it lubed good during this process.

Venom1956
February 21, 2013, 12:30 AM
I run my 1911s dry! :eek: