PDA

View Full Version : M1A / FAL reliability, operation question

Strabs
December 29, 2000, 08:03 PM
I've been looking to pick up one or the other (Springfield or DSA). Though I've shot neither, I have handled each and like them both (M1 w/synthetic stock better than wood) and aside from the great differences in some accessory costs (magazines, parts kits, etc.) I've been unable to find much of a comparison in the operation and reliability of the two. I know they are not an HK or Kalishnikov (sp?), but how do they compare in adverse conditions: mud, sand, ice/snow, water (excessive moisture), etc.? How complicated are their use -disassembly, adjustements, etc.?

Thanks,

Strabs

Destructo6
December 30, 2000, 02:36 AM
They're both quite reliable under similar conditions.

The FAL field strips into large parts that are hard to lose. If the M1A is similar to the Garand (should be), with which I have some experience, it's parts are also large and hard to lose.

Overall, they're both pretty user friendly.

ma96782
December 30, 2000, 02:37 AM
That is a SET UP question......after all the US Army had the same problem/question way back when.

There was a Collector Grade book about the M-14 that kinda answered that question...........M-14 vs. FAL

Anyway, the US Army went with the "Invented here, got tooling and training doctrain down," so they went w/ the M-14. The truth was that "Perhaps, the whole concept was flawed." (Large caliber full auto fire.)

Anyway the book is really entertaining and educational, if I could only remember the title????

As for me: I bought the M1A (back when mags were cheap and parts for the M1A were decent).........plus I used to Match Shoot. The sights are WAY better than an FAL and the procedures were there for accurizing, plus the fact that it was O.K. for the DCM (CMP) Matches that I used to go to.

As for now, if I were looking for a cheap military style rifle w/ historical roots and if I wasn't gonna shoot matches. I'd buy the FAL (cheap rifle w/ cheap mags).

As for which manufacturer to buy: M1A = Springfield
FAL = whatever suits my budget (as long as it is a metric and a "real lic. manufacturer" of the FAL) Truth is: I'd rather have a IMBEL (or other lic. mfn) properly built rifle, than an Enterprise or DSA.

BTW: I do own M1As (Springfield) and FALs (FN and Imbel)

Just my .02 on the subject.

[Edited by manzai on 12-30-2000 at 09:19 AM]

ROCK-n-GLOCK
December 30, 2000, 04:57 AM
Manzai, isn't it also true that the FAL has an adjustable gas system, so you can compensate for dirty barrel to keep cycling correctly? Or am I confusing this with another gun? I am an AK, CETME, AR kinda guy and don't have alot of FAL knowledge. My friends that do say the same as you did, metric and Imbel is the best way to go.

ma96782
December 30, 2000, 09:13 AM
Rock and Glock,

Yup, the FAL has an adjustable gas system, however I don't really know it is an, "advantage."

Do you really want to make gas adjustments in the middle of a fire fight? Where did that tool go? Ouch...that was hot!

Clean your gun. Use spec ammo.

Another comment on the FAL:

I hear that IAI will be putting out what is called the M444, this is suppose to be an IMBEL kit on an IMBEL receiver. The latest word is that this will be a competitor to the STG-58 kit built guns by CENTURY.

The buzz it that the IAI 444, is a better built rifle than the CENTURY.

See: http://www.fnfal.com

Look in the message board / manufacturers secton.

Strabs
December 30, 2000, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys. I was able to find more through search.

C.R.Sam
December 30, 2000, 12:20 PM
Nice thing about the FAL adjustable gas system is that you can compensate for different loads. Easily hand changed. Numbered detents. Since each weapon will be a tad different in it's likes and dislikes....test a bit with each batch of ammo and note the gas setting that gives good operation without trying to jerk the head off the spent cases. I shoot a lot of Malaysian machine gun ammo, cheap and I don't need tack driver accuracy most of the time...my setting for that is 5. If I have to reach out and touch something and maby do some penetrating to do it, I have some heavy loads with heavy bullets.....setting for that load is 8. If I wanted to use very light loads I can close down the bypass and still get function. If I want to launch hot n heavy loads I can close off the gas system and operate it as a bolt action.

I spent years with the Garand, think it is a wonderful gun but it is not nearly as load flexible as the FAL.

Sam....so there.

Steve Smith
December 30, 2000, 07:26 PM
The gas sdjuster can be operated with the point of a bullet. I've never had the tool.

I keep my rifles clean, but both my FAL and my M1A seem to be equally reliable. I'm very happy with both.