PDA

View Full Version : Colt Delta Elite 10MM

JSAW
February 7, 2013, 04:52 PM
I was perusing a local pawn shop in town and looking through display case when this 1911 caught my eye. It was a Colt Delta Elite, the price tag on it in that particular store was $1,200.

I'm not an expert in guns, but I know it was used by the visual wear on the magazine. When I was done looking it over I tried putting the magazine back in, and it felt stiff and I didn't feel like I should be slamming an empty magazine into it; also according to some pictures I've found of the gun online, the magazine looks to be aftermarket.

I've done a little bit of research and have decided I'd like to own one. I'm a little weary of used firearms and would rather buy them new if at all possible. But I don't really know what kind of price range to expect, I've been seeing numbers as low as $500 - $600 and as high as $2,000 through the bit of research that I have done.

So my questions are; Are they still in production, could I go to a retailer and place an order? Or am I limited to used firearms?

Baylorattorney
February 7, 2013, 04:58 PM
I've owned 2. One new model and the other old. 1200 is too high a price for the older model (slide problems) and its too high a price for the new model. 800 would be more like it for the new model 600-700 for the older model. Both are good weapons.

Baylorattorney
February 7, 2013, 04:59 PM
The new model is marketed by colt for $1,100 new and in production.

JSAW
February 7, 2013, 05:02 PM
Is there any visual external difference between the two that can be recognized?

DealHunter
February 7, 2013, 05:04 PM
I picked up one of the new production models (they only make then in stainless now) early last year and it's a great shooter (I like 1911s); they wanted around 900 for it at the time. I do know that the mags go in "stiff" (I think the mag release is a little tight) so that may be a normal trait of the new Deltas.

As far as availability, Colt is a little weird around where I live and it's hard to "place an order" for one and get it in a reasonable (less than 6 months) time frame; I just had to wait until my LGS got one and buy it right then and there. I will say that my LGS posts new stock online, I was the 1st to call and put $$$ down and I got it by a hair.

With the current craziness, people may be looking for other things (I doubt a single stack 10mm would really be affected by any sort of ban) so you may have an easier time.

Baylorattorney
The magazine would be stamped with the colt logo and name if it were original.

Yankee Traveler
A new in box one here in TN was $1,095.00 last time I was in the shop.

JSAW
February 7, 2013, 05:09 PM
Thanks for the input!

I kind of thought the $1,200 price tag for a used firearm was a bit steep, next time I'm sniffing around that pawn shop if it's still there I'll look it over a bit better, see if I can't talk him down to a reasonable price.

But I'll probably just start sticking money in a savings account and buy one new instead... Peace of mind...

Baylorattorney
February 7, 2013, 05:10 PM
The new model have had metal removed from the frame to allow flex, essentially a square notch was cut Wikipedia has pictures of this modification to help you. You can also determine date of production by serial number.

RickB
February 7, 2013, 05:35 PM
I think every single Delta Elite sold has that modification made to the frame rail. My circa 1989 Delta does. All of Colt's 1911s have it today.

AZAK
February 7, 2013, 05:52 PM
Take a look at the wrap around rubber grips. The "first run" Deltas versus the "second run" are different. It may appear subtle, but they are different. And as was noted above, Colt only produces the stainless version currently.

Colt made a number of modifications to the first run Deltas; they were often referred to as pre-enhanced as opposed to enhanced.

A good read on the Deltas can be found here:
http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id53.html

I have one of the original pre-enhanced stainless versions, it has the notch cut out but none of the other modifications, and it is my favorite centerfire pistol to shoot.

Good Luck in the hunt!