PDA

View Full Version : I'm in love; New Kimber Ultra CDP with Night Sites, $915..Good price?

vmaam
December 29, 2000, 01:48 PM
Just saw it down at my local Gun store. What do y'all think about this gem? Is the price good? Is it accurate?

Mark Cantwell
December 29, 2000, 01:58 PM
Yeah, that's a good price. I picked mine up last week for $939. I'm further customizing mine with slim carry grips and a short trigger. (I have small hands.) After taking it to the range, I was impressed with its accuracy, despite the short sight radius. I don't shoot it nearly as well as my Sig P239 in .40, however. The CDP is my first .45, let alone first 1911, so it's taking a bit of getting used to. I think I would prefer a full-size 1911 just for range shooting, but for a carry gun, I think it's top notch. If you have the money, go for it!

sw627pc
December 29, 2000, 02:13 PM
Price is good (I'm assuming new). MSRP is over $1100 now I believe. Gun is VERY good. Mine is amazingly accurate for a fixed sight snubby. No failures to feed at this point (only about 1200 rounds) and works with just about anything. (So far I've tried GI Ball, 185 grain XTP's, 230 XTP's, WW Silvertips, 200 LSWC and 200 LRN). Did have a problem with the Silvertips, sort of. The book says that the magazine furnished is a six rounder. Holds seven. But with seven Silvertips it won't feed the first round. With six it works fine. The spare magazines I got are all Colt OM mags that say seven rounds. They feed seven of anything just fine. I don't know who Kimber gets their magazines from but I've heard numerous complaints, usually sovled by going to Metalform or one of the other quality aftermarket mags.

I've decided that the 185 grain bullets will be carry ammo for this one though. The 230 just kick too much in a 23 ounce gun, second shot capability is definitely slowed down. This is for me, your experience may be otherwise. (besides, my arthritic hands really didn't like the 230 grain bullets in this one!)

BUTCH48
December 29, 2000, 02:40 PM
I have a stock Ultra Carry and love it. If you take the plung you won't be sorry. I use Wilson mags.

Waitone
December 29, 2000, 05:44 PM
Good price. Grab it and enjoy!

cplane
December 29, 2000, 07:47 PM
$915 was the same amount I paid a few months back for my ultra cdp. I can actually hit better with it than I can my full sized classic.I beleive you will like it. I just seen some for $999 at a shop yesterday. Mine shoots everything I put in it so far. I bought one of the braveheart kydex holsters to carry it in and also one of the wilson lo profile sharkskin holsters. If you carry cocked and locked , you may want the kydex because it covers the safety and helps prevent from brushing it off. Good luck with your purchase:)

WalterGAII
December 30, 2000, 06:28 PM
Well, it's not an 11-round G30, but it is a nice little pistol. I'd take all those MIM parts out.