PDA

View Full Version : Taurus 92 opinions? Anyone have one?

45automan
December 28, 2000, 03:49 PM
Hey guys My brother just bought one of these. He got a stainless one for $200 with a Hi Cap mag. I looked at it and it is pretty tight for a taurus. Slide to frame fit really surprised me. Anyway are these good guns? They are basiclly Beretta 92 clones right?
Thanks for any help guys,45automan

denfoote
December 28, 2000, 04:14 PM
I have a PT-92AFS. I would not call them Beretta clones, as they are made in Brazil by Taurus under license. Beretta provided many of the machines to make them. IMHO, they are better than the Beretta, in that you have the same accuracy , but because of the frame mounted safety, you can carry it cocked and locked. :cool: Their only drawback is that they are BIG, to big IMO to comfortably carry concealed. At least that is what I found out when I tried to hide mine. ;) Other than that, they are a FINE pistol. Your Brother should enjoy his very much. :D BTW, the mags are NOT interchangable with the Baretta 92.

Onslaught
December 28, 2000, 05:22 PM
Oh yeah, IMHO, That line of Tauri are GREAT!

My wife's carry gun when I met her was a PT92 (under car seat). Her father's is a PT99 in stainless, and I had :( a PT101 in .40. I've shot them all, and love them all. I don't regret trading the PT101 for my USP45, but I sure would like to have another one. The only FTF I ever experienced was with my wife's gun. Her dad keeps his mags loaded TO CAPACITY, so she had 15+1 sitting in her mag for YEARS, and after firing a few rounds, the slide closed on an empty chamber. I replaced the mag, and it hasn't happened since.

She doesn't do that anymore, and I make her practice 3 or 4 times a year with the Kahr MK9 I bought her to carry.

9mmepiphany
December 28, 2000, 05:58 PM
beretta built the factory in brazil as part of a government contract, when they finished they sold the factory to taurus, the current 92 at that time had the frame mounted safety and mag release on the side of the butt so that is what they built.

the taurus is a clone of the beretta as much as the browning hi-power is a clone of the fn p-35. i like to think of it as a choice between safety locations.

Joe Klug
December 28, 2000, 10:00 PM
Yes, the Taurus PT92 is a good pistol. I've had mine for several years. It's one of the older models without the decocker. It's extremely reliable and fairly accurate. $200 was certainly a good price if it's in good shape. If your brother ever does have a problem with it you can use the lifetime warranty and Taurus will fix it free.

Joe

Quantum Singularity
December 28, 2000, 10:10 PM
The Taurus PT92 is a great gun. It is actually a BETTER gun than the Beretta 92 IMO.

45automan
December 29, 2000, 11:53 AM
quantum you say you think the taurus is a better gun them the beretta?why do you say this?iam curious because your not the only person who said that.,also ive shot handled both and the taurus sems to more then hold its own.

Will Beararms
December 29, 2000, 05:58 PM
The PT 99 with wood grips and gold plated controls makes a great pimp gun BTW. ;)