PDA

View Full Version : Kennesaw, GA -- The only place in America where gun ownership is mandatory

alex0535
January 25, 2013, 12:41 AM
So with all of this gun control nonsense, I thought I would mention something unique about a city in which I used to live. What makes this place unique is that there is a law that mandates you keep a firearm and ammunition in your home, with a few exceptions made for those who can't afford one, felons and mentally ill, and those who just object to owning one.

In 1982 the city passed an ordinance [Sec 34-21]

(a) In order to provide for the emergency management of the city, and further in order to provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants, every head of household residing in the city limits is required to maintain a firearm, together with ammunition therefore.
(b)Exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who suffer a physical or mental disability which would prohibit them from using such a firearm. Further exempt from the effect of this section are those heads of households who are paupers or who conscientiously oppose maintaining firearms as a result of beliefs or religious doctrine, or persons convicted of a felony.

They found that crime rates went down and stayed down.

Here is an article about how this law came to be and more information about it.
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/5c1b6a72-c5eb-11df-b53e-00144feab49a.html#slide1

What are your thoughts on this?

MrDontPlay
January 25, 2013, 02:42 AM
This idea is a little out there and would never happen, but I believe in a rifle in every home, even to the point where I would support some of our taxes helping people who didn't already have a gun buy one. What's another billion dollars right?

It could be something like a plain Jane 10/22, or lever action 357 with "government property" engraved on it, non transferable ect. Surely they could get a deal through a manufacturer buying in a huge quantity like that, and they would have to take a training course much like a CCW permit, then apply for the gun.

Of purse there are pros and cons like everything but I think the pros would outweight the cons. I'd rather see 1/4 of my check go for this than some welfare whore that wears pajamas at 2pm and has an iPhone.

Either way, just a thought. Would never happen but would be cool.

4V50 Gary
January 25, 2013, 07:57 AM
I remember it. It was in response to Skokie, Illinois banning of firearms.

Tom Servo
January 25, 2013, 08:21 AM
IIRC, it was due to the ban in Oak Park in 1983.

terzmo
January 25, 2013, 08:39 AM
"This idea is a little out there and would never happen, but I believe in a rifle in every home, even to the point where I would support some of our taxes helping people who didn't already have a gun buy one. What's another billion dollars right?"

"I would believe in a rifle in every home" It;'s thinking like this that started the entire gun control issue. "I support rifles so I support that, but NOT handguns or shotguns" Enough people get narrow minded support and the shotguns and pistols are limited or banned. These people are limiting our freedom of choice by the issues THEY support. Either you're on board with people's rights or you're not.

MrDontPlay
January 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
I see what you're saying but that wasn't my intent. Believe me I'm on board, I'm pro-MACHINE GUN! It was just my idea for a government funded program to help people defend there homes and family.

4V50 Gary
January 25, 2013, 03:37 PM
Thanks Tom. I stand corrected. Aging mind with fading brain cells. Back to the bottle. :p

hermannr
January 25, 2013, 03:44 PM
Actually, there are other towns that have done the same...Riverside, WA did the same thing, at the same time, for the same reason.

frumious
January 25, 2013, 03:45 PM
I think the Dead Milkmen mentioned this town in their little ditty "Right Wing Pigeons From Outer Space":

"A town in Georgia's got a law on the books,
says if we all have guns then we won't have crooks"

:D

-cls

southjk
January 25, 2013, 04:03 PM
I'm all for it. It works for Switzerland.

Slamfire
January 25, 2013, 04:04 PM
I think Sherman brought his Army down there and General Joe Johnston shot it all to heck at Kennesaw Mountain. The locals must have decided that Sherman may still be thinking of returning again, and if so, they are prepared to greet the Yankees in the same old way.

Tom Servo
January 25, 2013, 11:03 PM
The locals must have decided that Sherman may still be thinking of returning again, and if so, they are prepared to greet the Yankees in the same old way.
Nah. Yankees bring money and drive up property values. I know some of the folks in that article, and with the exception of Dent Myers, most hail from northern climes.