PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPS

BoogieMan
January 22, 2013, 08:21 AM
My buddy took his wife and bought her a PPS. Nice pistol but not at all the right gun for her use. IMO. We are in NJ so carry was never an issue. At this point she just doesnt like the pistol at all and will shoot his Beretta 92 instead of the PPS. I have also shot the pistol. I find it to be quite snappy and the trigger (safety style) tends to bite the finger after a few rounds. In order to make this more usable for her (and us) I intend to work up a lighter load to cut down on the snappy recoil. As for the stiff and painful trigger what options do we have? I havent seen a trigger kit for this application.
Its worth noting that this little gun has one of the coolest magazine releases I have seen and it has been 100% reliable over about 300 rnds. I am only able to group (15yds) about a 6" circle with it. Buds wife cant keep them in a 8" at same range. For reference at 15yds I can group my 1911 easily 1-1/2", 25yds 4"

loose_holster_dan
January 22, 2013, 09:11 AM
that's definitely a carry gun, not a range gun. maybe try trading up for its big brother the ppq if you like everything else about it.

MLeake
January 22, 2013, 09:22 AM
For her, it may not be a range gun. My PPS is just great at the range, thank you.

Instead of trying to fix her problem via reloads, I would suggest she first ensure the grip is optimized for her.

Have they cycled through the backstraps? PPS has interchangeables - I use the large.

The PPS grips are thin, so even though she may use a small backstrap for trigger pull reach, she might still find the grip too narrow. I definitely had this issue, even with the large backstrap. Bought a LimbSaver grip sleeve, and now the PPS is one of my most comfortable guns.

I suspect that when she gets a comfortable and sure grip, he trigger will not sting nearly so much.

YMMV.

Fishbed77
January 22, 2013, 09:31 AM
that's definitely a carry gun, not a range gun.

I think the PPS makes for a great range gun (at least in 9mm). Of all the thin 9mm carry pistols, I think it's one of the softest-shooting and easiest to shoot. The trigger is OK for a Glock-style trigger (better than Glock or M&P, not as nice as PPQ or SR9C). It also has very good 3-dot sights.

Theohazard
January 22, 2013, 10:55 AM
In my experience there is no other sub-compact single-stack 9mm or .40 with as little felt recoil and muzzle flip as the PPS. The .40 PPS feels about the same as the 9mm Shield; that's how good it is.

But the PPS is a carry gun. If she doesn't plan on carrying, there's no reason to have a small gun like that unless bigger guns just don't fit her hands. She might want to trade for something bigger that will be easier for her to shoot.

BoogieMan
January 22, 2013, 12:35 PM
Tradeing would be nice. But we are in jersey. Current backlog to get pistol permit is about 4 months. So if she trades it in then it would be 4 months to re-arm. The slip on grip might be a good alternative to make the gun more comfortable.
Great little gun, but its purpose built for carry.

ScotchMan
January 22, 2013, 01:14 PM
There are also three magazine sizes. If you are using the smallest one, stepping that up gives you more gripping area.

mburmaster
January 22, 2013, 01:17 PM
At this point she just doesnt like the pistol at all

Pilot
January 22, 2013, 02:22 PM
They should sell the PPS, and SHE should get something better suited. If she likes the Beretta 92FS, that would be a good place to start, but best to let her choose.

Buying small pocket guns for women because they are small in size is exactly opposite to what most women really need, and as evidenced the small pistols won't get used. This is especially prudent in states like NJ where carry is pretty much a no go.

group17
January 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
Forget selling it. Keep it for yourself and get her a Bersa 380. My PPS in 40 is accurate and totally reliable. The Bersa's smaller size fits a women's hand better.Not to mention costs a lot less money then the PPS.

BoogieMan
January 22, 2013, 02:39 PM
They should sell the PPS, and SHE should get something better suited. If she likes the Beretta 92FS, that would be a good place to start, but best to let her choose.
I couldnt agree with you more. Not my wife. Buddy (really) took his wife and between him and the counter guy talked her into a PPS. It is a nice gun but wrong for her. I suggested a couple of others (he already owns a 92) such as BHP, CZ75, even a Block. I dont know if they got caught up in the idea of having very different guns or what took place. Im just trying to make the gun a little more comfortable for her. I am amazed at how quickly she picked up on accuracy. First time we went out she couldnt hit the target with anything. I explained the sights and grip to her. 3 trips later (with 1911 or 92) she has all shots within the 8 ring.
At any point I think they need to try a slip on grip to tame that PPS. Will take it from there.

RedBowTies88
January 22, 2013, 02:58 PM
Honestly bud, I don't think there's going to be much you can do for her. I would advise her to apply for more permits and find something she likes.

Maybe have your buddy apply for a non-resident CCW from somewhere then he can use it as a carry gun out of state.

\

Coltman 77
January 22, 2013, 04:30 PM
Theohazard:

In my experience there is no other sub-compact single-stack 9mm or .40 with as little felt recoil and muzzle flip as the PPS.

Agreed.

My 9mm PPS is very easy to control and shoot accurately, it's the smallest handgun I have that is a pleasure to take to the range for extended sessions.

Is your wife using a proper grip and stance? That can make a world of difference.

Good luck to both of you. :)

Hoosier_Daddy
January 22, 2013, 05:42 PM
Is her PPS a 9mm or a 40 S&W? The PPS in 40 S&W is a handfull.

I find that I shoot better target groupings with my S&W M&P 9 compact than with my PPS 9 mm but I attribute that to the sights.

BoogieMan
January 22, 2013, 06:40 PM
I dont shoot it well either. What I put on paper I would hardly call a group. Not sure if its due to trigger or short sight radius. I have to agree with her that the trigger is hard on the finger. I have only fired the PPS and a glock with the trigger safety so I dont have a lot to compare it with. I normally shoot full size pistols.
It is a 9mm, and IMO very snappy.

Kreyzhorse
January 22, 2013, 07:43 PM
Boogieman, at this point, selling it and buying something else might be the easiest solution.

However, I'm with the others that the 9mm PPS is a compact gun that shoots like a full size. The various back straps and or mags really help customize the fit. I'd suggest the gun is at least worth spending some more range time with before it's dealt. With some more practice, she just might see it the same way the rest of us do.

Sharpsdressed Man
January 22, 2013, 08:08 PM
Keep the PPS, ditch the wife. Honestly, she needs to try out different things before they spend any other money. Maybe hanging out at the range, and offering to supply ammo to shoot other people's guns (range people are often very nice and accomodating that way). And, if it were me, I'd keep the PPS. I have one, and like it.

MLeake
January 22, 2013, 09:09 PM
It is entirely possible the gun was not the best choice for the woman in the OP.

However, the PPS does not just carry well - it is actually a shooter, once you get used to it.

http://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-phy4HsQNdBI/T3UNpRev92I/AAAAAAAAAhk/PeJmT-pl1bc/s1024/PPS%207%20yds%2050%20RH%20head%2050%20LH%20chest.JPG

Only 7 yards, but 50 rounds to chest and I forget how many to head.