PDA

View Full Version : What Add-Ons For My Hi-Power?

Martowski
December 27, 2000, 10:11 PM
Greetings All,

I have a Hi-Power Practical that I am slowly trying to turn into a better defensive and all-around fun weapon. I have a couple high capacity magazines for it, and I'm ordering some PMP 9mm ammo tommorow from Century Arms (special: 1000 round for $99, delivered). I also have some Speigel grips. I'm considering getting a cylinder & slide wide combat trigger and maybe adding night sights. Any suggestions for good, fairly inexpensive "drop in" night sights? Any other suggestions for practical modifications to make my hi-power a better defensive weapon?

ArmySon
December 27, 2000, 10:53 PM
Get the barrel crowned. It's a cheap way of improving the hi power's accuracy. Get a CS hammer to prevent possible hammer bite. Eventually, you'll want a good trigger job. Trigger jobs for HP's aren't cheap though.

The sights definitely has to go!

Martowski
December 27, 2000, 11:08 PM
Actually, I've never been bitten by the hammer. I have the practical model, which comes with the rounded hammer. That may be why.

I've thought about a trigger job, but I have the mag safety disabled right now and the trigger seems pretty decent. If I drop the C&S wide combat trigger in, it will negate the mag safety as well since it doesn't have a provision for it. I actually don't want the trigger much lighter for "safety" reasons (my Hi-Standard used to go off on me if I even thought about pulling the trigger prior to getting it fixed).

Prof
December 28, 2000, 01:15 PM
They make add-ons for the Hi-Power? Mine was perfect right out of the box! :)

Stevie
December 28, 2000, 04:00 PM
Other than maybe a new safety, don't need much more. I believe most sights for the HP require milling the slide. My HP, only has Ambi (C&S) and new grips. Its about perfect for me.

MellowMikey
December 28, 2000, 04:39 PM
I love the hi-power, but hate that little itty bitty safety, I got a bigger one and I am very pleased. :D

Mikey

JMBrowning
December 28, 2000, 06:16 PM
The mods already mentioned from C&S are excellent.You can also obtain a trigger-pull reduction kit from them that will remove 2-2.5lbs from the (horrendous)factory pull,no trigger job needed.I sure like it.

JMBrowning
December 28, 2000, 06:51 PM
forgot to mention earlier-Northeast Shooter's Warehouse has Trijicon sights for the Hi Power.800-639-7012(orders),802-895-4520(inquiries,etc.).

Jeff OTMG
December 28, 2000, 07:42 PM
I don't like the factory safety and use the C&S single sided safety, I am right handed. The wider trigger has no effect on the pull weight of the trigger, but the wider trigger face spreads the pull out over a wider area so it tends to feel like less. I would also replace the sear with a good steel sear from C&S.

skevlar
December 28, 2000, 11:39 PM
If you have a MK III type slide, i.e. dovetail front & rear Novak's excellent sight will fit. They also do an excellent trigger job for $85. Loose the mag safety & have the bbl. crowned. Consider their reliability pkg. also. http://www.novaksights.com

December 29, 2000, 01:47 AM
I also was thinking about doing some "things" to my Hi-Power. I see all kinds of sights available, but since most of them are fixed sights, how do you know where they will hit (in other words what bullet weight will shoot at the point of aim with the dimensions used in that particular sight) ? None of the captions in the Brownells catalog give any indication. The reason I would like to change my sights is that mine shoots dead on with 147 grain bullets. I would like to shoot lighter bullets but they shoot way low with the original sights. So I say, why not upgrade my sights and get something that will shoot POA and be more highly visible. Now the only problem is which ones to buy.

Jeff OTMG
December 30, 2000, 12:45 AM
444, I have had the Novak front sights dovetailed on my BHP's and they come as a square block. My gunsmith cuts them to a contour that I like and the height is cut to match the loads that I chose to shoot, which are the 115 - 125 gr fast stuff.