PDA

View Full Version : Wow gun show pricing today.

bosscott
January 12, 2013, 07:34 PM
All semi autos at least double, even triple what they were a month ago. I have a buddy willing to sell me a bushmaster and a Romanian AK plus 500 rounds of each ammo for $1700. The bushmaster is the one that came with the red dot and the AK is not the wasr 10/63 but the polymer black one. I am tempted to take him up on the offer and run back to the gun show tomorrow. I really think I can get $1500 for the $750 bushmaster. What would you do?

RamItOne
January 12, 2013, 08:01 PM
Think buying just to resell is verboten, not sure if the ATF has a threshold on quantity.

PetahW
January 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
What would you do?

Well......... If he was really my buddy, instead of screwing him outta $750, I'd take him & the guns to the gun show, and show him how it's done.

How much is a friendship worth, anyway ?................

bosscott
January 12, 2013, 08:32 PM
He is a buddy. I got him the job he has now. Introduced him to his ex wife. I even told him what I might just sell them and he doesn't seem to mind. Is it my fault he is to lazy to do it himself.

breakingcontact
January 12, 2013, 11:14 PM
Introduced him to his ex wife.

Buddy!?

Nasty
January 13, 2013, 01:28 AM
Is it my fault he is to lazy to do it himself.

No

It *is* taking advantage of him though.

Just say'in...

hooligan1
January 13, 2013, 10:55 AM
Introduced him to his EX WIFE???? he ought to kick you in the --ts!!!:p
Take him to the show. you owe him.;)

Mobuck
January 13, 2013, 11:14 AM
I attended a gun show last Saturday. There were two classes of interest-those who just wanted a mag fed semiauto but didn't have the cash in hand and those who were hoping to score a high dollar AR on the cheap. Neither of those groups were actually buying anything. I traded a used AR for a like new Win model 70 and wad of money equal to double what I had invested in the AR.
I'm just saying that even though you saw stuff priced at fairly high $$, doesn't mean there were really buyers at that level.

Art Eatman
January 13, 2013, 12:06 PM
What would Art do? Art would buy both and take the AK and its ammo to my FFL buddy and let him sell it to one of the fools who walk in, willing to write great big checks. The AK and ammo would likely bring close to a grand.

For that matter, people are laying down greenback cash dollars for .223 ammo at six bits a shot.

Interesting to watch Economics 101 at work.

1stmar
January 13, 2013, 02:19 PM
Why not take the guns up there and split the difference?

Joe Chicago
January 13, 2013, 09:24 PM
Introduced him to the EX-wife? And he still talks to you?

Creek Henry
January 14, 2013, 12:37 AM
It is not just gun shows. Cabelas was a mad house last Sat night. Everyone and their brother was lined up to buy all types of guns and ammo. I was considering getting a XDm... but I can't see getting a deal on one now.

Art Eatman
January 14, 2013, 10:53 AM
Old WW II joke: A lady walks into the butcher shop and asks the price of pork chops. The butcher says, "$3.79 a pound."

She screeches, "$3.79 a pound? Across the street they're $1.79 a pound!"

The butcher asks, "Why don't you go across the street and buy them?" She answers, "They're out of pork chops."

Butcher: "Lady, when I'm out of pork chops, I'll price 'em at $1.79 a pound."

Pork chops, ARs, take your pick.

tobnpr
January 14, 2013, 12:02 PM
Choose not to be a participant in this unprecedented insanity.

If the pool of fools paying double what firearms, as well as ammunition and components, goes away- things will begin to get back to normal.

Creek Henry
January 14, 2013, 11:59 PM
It is not unprecedented. It happened when Clinton signed in that useless high-cap mag ban and again when Obama got first elected... just not quite as severe as this current run.

bedlamite
January 15, 2013, 08:43 AM
Old WW II joke: A lady walks into the butcher shop and asks the price of pork chops. The butcher says, "$3.79 a pound."

She screeches, "$3.79 a pound? Across the street they're $1.79 a pound!"

The butcher asks, "Why don't you go across the street and buy them?" She answers, "They're out of pork chops."

Butcher: "Lady, when I'm out of pork chops, I'll price 'em at $1.79 a pound."

Pork chops, ARs, take your pick.

You're off on the price. In the 40's pork would have been about $.39/lb. :p

spacecoast
January 15, 2013, 09:13 AM
You're off on the price. In the 40's pork would have been about $.39/lb.

Yeah, but that was a silver quarter and a silver dime. So not that far off by today's measure.

sprouticus
January 16, 2013, 12:00 AM
If you use an inflation rate calculator.
$.39 in 1943 would be like $5.75 in today's money.:)

musher
January 16, 2013, 12:18 AM
and if you use the spot price of silver .39 in US silver would be about 8.64 in fiat money.

the joke makes the point though.

tuck2
January 17, 2013, 12:53 PM
It is very unlikley that a gun controll bill will get out of the House as long as the Republicans are in power ,even some Dems will not vote for a gun controll bill. If I had a AR 15 Id dump it now.

redraif
January 17, 2013, 02:55 PM
I was thinking about getting a beretta cx4 storm in a 40 caliber to compliment my 90-two. Cant find them anywhere. There are 3 gunshows this weekend. I was thinking about looking there, but if the prices are that bad maybe I should just stick to an auction at gun broker?

Art Eatman
January 17, 2013, 07:44 PM
The meat rationing during WW II had prices "rather high", one might say. When you could find it. :( Some butchers would sell to favored customers, but at well-above market price. (Same for shoes, tires, gasoline, butter, sugar and other items.)

I wouldn't even begin to try to find a high-demand rifle, right now. Manufacturers at the SHOT show have said that their entire AR production for this year is already sold out to back orders. Same for magazines.

The production of non-"EBR" rifles will likely catch up within a few months. Same for ammo. Many people will be satisfied with what they have, or will have run out of money.

the rifleer
January 17, 2013, 08:05 PM
Just out of curiosity, i went to gunbroker and looked at prices. When I saw a ruger mini 14 at $2000 WITH a bidder, i was speechless. Well, actually, I said "wow" and smiled. Right now they are selling about $500 above retail, usually they sell for $200 below retail.

redraif
January 17, 2013, 08:28 PM
I could kick myself... at thanksgiving I saw the cx4 still around the $700 mark, so I figured I could wait... that was dumb. Should have just pushed the spouce a bit harder to let me get both it and the 90-two. Now they are listing for $1000-$1700 with goodies. Even saw a bone stock nib for $1400 buy it now...

Ricklin
January 17, 2013, 08:40 PM
I sat out the last two panics...........

I'll sit this one out as well.

I do like to keep my eyes open for nice collector pieces that fools trade or sell to pay for a grossly overpriced AR.

It can be a good time to buy good stuff, with real value.

Chaz88
January 17, 2013, 09:19 PM
I sat out the last two panics...........

I'll sit this one out as well.

I do like to keep my eyes open for nice collector pieces that fools trade or sell to pay for a grossly overpriced AR.

It can be a good time to buy good stuff, with real value.

I am with you on this. I hoping some trap shooters decide to dump high dollar trap combos on the used market at bargain prices.

geetarman
January 18, 2013, 09:58 AM
On Thursday ( yesterday ) I went to Sportsman's Warehouse to see if they had anything I couldn't live without.

I went around 4 pm. They had gotten a shipment of rifles and there was a line of probably 75 people waiting to buy them. I am assuming they were ARs as they have a pretty good selection of bolt guns.

The guns had just been delivered and some of those people had been waiting since 9 am when the store opened!

I asked one of the cashiers about it and she said that their shipments of guns and ammo are delivered late on Thursday.

Sportsman's has instituted limits on ammo and primers as well as magazines.

I can see the handgun inventory is way down. They had 5 SR1911s on Monday.

That was when I bought mine and there are none on the rack as of yesterday.

I think the panic buying is just getting started.

redraif
January 18, 2013, 10:04 AM
Well the plan is to hit one gun show Saturday and see what I can find. Then sunday hit another. Last will be the ones on gun broker. I hate it cause I have always wanted one since I first saw one back in the early 2000s. Leave it to me to finally be in the right poistion to huy one and the dang government starts a panic... lol

Art Eatman
January 18, 2013, 11:34 AM
Per a report from the SHOT show, manufacturers all say that the 2013 production of ARs is already sold out. Back orders from retailers. IOW, there will be a steady trickle through the year. If you want one, put your name on the list at your local gun shop and wait.

redraif
January 18, 2013, 06:30 PM
Quick question. So I am going to the gun show Saturday... I have never bought a gun at a gun show before. I dont have my carry permit yet. How does buying a gun at a gun show work in that siruation?

Justice06RR
January 19, 2013, 04:51 AM
Buying from a dealer: If you're buying a long gun, you can take it home the same day if you pass the background check. For a handgun, you have to do the waiting period based on your state/location.

If you're buying from a private seller, there is no waiting (obviously).

tobnpr
January 19, 2013, 05:10 PM
The majority of states have no waiting periods for handguns, or long guns.
Despite all the hype about Florida being the "WILD WEST" after the TM incident, we are one of the few states with a waiting period for handgun purchases without a CWP.

Only eleven of the fifty states, have any waiting periods at all for long and/or handguns:

http://smartgunlaws.org/waiting-periods-policy-summary/

Depends on where you live, and your state AND local laws.

Creek Henry
January 20, 2013, 10:02 PM
How much are M1 Garandes going for? I might could sell mine and buy a good used car :)

2rugers
January 22, 2013, 08:39 PM
Gunbroker too. 7615 .223 pumps going for $1500 used!...and so on and so on.

redraif
January 23, 2013, 12:36 AM
Bad when you are elbow to elbow with folks... I swear I felt more like I was at a concert then a gun show... people were nuts.