PDA

View Full Version : What did you buy during the current AWB buying frenzy?

TimNelson
January 7, 2013, 06:03 PM
Most of us agree that we have no idea what is going to happen over the next few months regarding gun control. I had been working on saving money (i.e. responsible spending habit) to buy my first AR for the past year or so and planned on buying right after Christmas with the money I was expecting and then the events at Newtown occured and moved up my buying time frame. It also changed by responsible spending habits too. So what has everyone purchased during the current hysteria? I will go first.

My budget was $1200...here is what I bought and spent.

Rock River Entry Tactical-$1950
5 30 round magazines-$200
500 rounds of ammo -$300

I spent just over twice what I was budgeting. Either an extremely bad decision or very wise money spent endeavor depending on the next few months. I hope extremely bad decision but was not willing to take that chance. So how about everyone else?

Tucker 1371
January 7, 2013, 06:15 PM
Just an M1A 20 rounder ($60), 2 AK74 30 rounders ($57), 300 rounds of .308 ($210), everything else had nothing to do with the GaGaGuns Freakout that is currently transpiring.

wyobohunter
January 7, 2013, 06:21 PM
It was all gone.

tahunua001
January 7, 2013, 06:22 PM
sounds like you got hosed dude, sorry about that... I actually did alright compared to Obamascare2009...
Chinese SKS-$239(scare price value $500)
.270 bore brush-$2(scare price...well $2)
a lot better than 2009:
Century Wasr 10/63 w/canted sights+mag wobble-$800(actual retail value $300)
M76 ammo 1024 rounds-$230(actual retail value $180)

for the time it was horrible prices, now they don't sound all that bad nowadays.

hodaka
January 7, 2013, 06:22 PM
Nothing. I will wait until this panic ends. I have plenty of ammo and components and can live without the M1A that I have promised myself. At least for another year. I already have plenty of other rifles and pistols.

jim.greenesr
January 7, 2013, 06:33 PM
I bought a Big Mac and fries, be damned if I pay over inflated prices.
I have enough guns and ammo to last quite a while. Gone to sit back and see what happens. If it wasn't so sad it would be almost funny to see the prices some people were paying for firearms and ammo.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 7, 2013, 06:38 PM
I bought an Hk MR556A1 and ammo the day of the shooting(before prices changed)but was already on my way to pick it and ammo up prior to it taking place. Since the panic. I traded a .308 Remington 700 SPS for a RRA 24" Predator with the EOP. I had to give $200 difference. My brother had it and wanted to trade me so I obliged.

saltydog452
January 7, 2013, 06:42 PM
Due to the Barry/Pelosi/DiFi and Atlantic left coast antics, I added another ctn of primers to my shopping cart.

salty

Bartholomew Roberts
January 7, 2013, 06:53 PM
Haven't bought anything. I'd rather send $200 to the NRA-ILA than pay $2000 for a $1000 rifle. That way I'll still be able to buy the rifle for $1000 when prices come back down after the panic. Not only do I help RKBA; but I saved myself $800.

Dr Big Bird PhD
January 7, 2013, 06:55 PM
20 rds of Hornady TAP .223 - $24
50 rds of Fiocchi Frangible Sinterfire .223 - $25

The fiocchi sucked, and the Hornady is for SD/HD so I didn't mind paying a few dollars extra because of the scare. The exorbitant prices has more to do with surplus ammo anyway.

I was pretty close to getting some silver bear though

TimNelson
January 7, 2013, 08:09 PM
tahunua001...I completely agree I did get hosed, but I was caught without. It was the last item on my need to buy list as far as any firearms go and I was in the process of saving for it, such is life.
Roberts...Good to hear your giving money to the NRA-ILA. I forgot to mention I sent money to them as well and would encourage everyone else to do so too.

kayakersteve
January 7, 2013, 08:42 PM
2 30 round ar mags for 30.00 each

chris in va
January 7, 2013, 08:52 PM
Box of primers and two pounds of powder.

RobertInIowa
January 7, 2013, 09:02 PM
Some .44 cal bullets, some powder and a brick of primers. Oh, and a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag. I'm certainly not paying double price for an AR right now. Makes me wonder WHY all these people who didn't buy one before have pannicked and bought one at outrag:confused:ious prices.

tgreening
January 7, 2013, 09:28 PM
If Alan Greenspan says....."If more people decrease down their spending it could lead to a slow down in the economy, a reduction of jobs, increased unemployment, and a potential recession", a significant number of people will get scared. And do what? Decrease their spending. Which leads to a slowdown in the economy, a reduction of jobs, increased unemployment, and the very recession they were worried about.

Makes me wonder WHY all these people who didn't buy one before have pannicked and bought one at outragious prices.

IOW, these^^^^^^ kinds of people, people who do things based on fear of what "might" happen.

Stripeknight
January 7, 2013, 09:34 PM
Ya I bought a few things, however the boat ferry transporting my new toys suddenly capsized when the sunami hit.... I lost it all :D

Ridge_Runner_5
January 7, 2013, 09:40 PM
200 .308 caliber bullets
100 9mm bullets
100 9mm casings
Case tumbler material

Captains1911
January 7, 2013, 09:42 PM
I'd be embarrassed to admit that.

I bought nothing, I'm comfortable with what I have, and I refuse to pay over inflated prices.

only1najeep
January 7, 2013, 09:46 PM
I found myself with money in hand waiting on a day off to run down to my favorite GS when the prices hit the fan. I wanted a Glock 19 (my first Glock) but they were all gone, or so I thought. Fortunately since I frequent this store the employes know me, and I walked out with what I believe was the last Glock 19 in north Mississippi. Now I have to wait on mags to get back in stock!

UtopiaTexasG19
January 7, 2013, 10:04 PM
I started buying AR related equipment in earnest (Guns, Ammo & Re-loading Supplies) the first time Obama was elected. I finalized buying AR stuff by the second time Obama was elected. This last month and for years to come nothing.....:)

CTS
January 7, 2013, 10:13 PM
I didn't buy anything in a panic. I bought 100 round of Hornady 6.8 Ammo just to add to my existing supplies. Got plenty of reloading supplies. I may build another .223 upper after the panic dies down so parts are available again. Thinking about a 20" varmint style upper to swap out with my 20" 6.8 upper.

golfnutrlv
January 7, 2013, 10:19 PM
I bought 3 Pmags I didn;t really need, but got me to an even 30 magazines while my LGS still had them. No price increase!!

Bought 1000 small rifle primers, and some H335.

Bought about 640 pieces of .45 brass at the gun show this weekend for a good price, as my supply is a little in jeopardy. Especially with how fast .45 brass dries up.

I happen to think some of the profeteering is disgusting. Like the guy at the gun show who was asking $1300 for a bottom barrel Olympic arms basic AR...:mad:

uradaisyifudo
January 7, 2013, 10:19 PM
Got lucky and bought before the freakin' crazy prices, but did pick up a couple 20 round 308 mags and 2 15 round. 40 mags...wanted to do that anyhow and did not really get gouged except the 308 mags were FN, so I would have had to pay anyhow...

baddarryl
January 7, 2013, 10:27 PM
A reloading kit.

HILLBILLY-06
January 7, 2013, 10:32 PM
{QUOTE} Nothing. I will wait until this panic ends. I have plenty of ammo and components and can live without the M1A that I have promised myself. At least for another year. I already have plenty of other rifles and pistols.

Yeah, the beer's still cheap, & so is pop-corn and R&R. My vote goes out for don't buy none of that crap until it calms down. Don't support the foolishness, don't support the panic buyers/GB re-sales, and let the whole thing settle down. When you stop buying, they'll stop selling, the prices will become reasonable, or they just wont sell. "It aint up to them" it's up to us! it's my money, I earned it, so I aint gonna let them take it all till the prices get back on track. Untill then, R&R and read about the other people that spent thier hard earned money, for stuff that should have cost half as much.

Nine the Ranger
January 7, 2013, 10:46 PM
A Henry.22, and a few Mini Mags.

Give it time, 'High Capacity Rat-Killers' will be next.

21 rounds of .22 Short, think of the mice!!!

kraigwy
January 7, 2013, 10:57 PM
What did you buy during the current AWB buying frenzy?

A PRE Ban TC 50 inline muzzle loader.

marine6680
January 7, 2013, 11:04 PM
I got two lowers...

Simply because I had been planned on getting them soon anyway, and after the buying frenzy started, I figured I should go ahead and get them when I find them in stock, and still reasonably priced. If I wait a day, they may be gone... and who knows how the market will be in a couple months. Prices may be very high, and I am thinking the uppers and parts will not go up too much, but the lowers are the feared banned item and will. A ban we will see coming and have time to prepare, high prices leading up to it are another thing.

The shop owner wanted to buy them off of me when picking them up. Maybe I should have ordered a couple more... sold the extras and broke even or better. :p

m.p.driver
January 7, 2013, 11:09 PM
Nothing.I picked up pmags several months ago from cdnn for $9.And police trade in Glock 21 mags for $14.I refuse to line the pockets of dealers, salivating, and rubbing their hands together..

slim9300
January 7, 2013, 11:09 PM
Colt Socom 2 for MSRP @ Cabelas
10 P-mags for MSRP @ Cabelas
Oh yeah, and 1000 rounds of .45 ACP

Just adding to the collection. ;)

Regardless of the panic Cabelas still hasn't inflated their prices (I realize they were never the cheapest) and they are getting guns in daily. Can't beat that.

I should have bought 100 P-mags while I still could. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurkeyOak
January 7, 2013, 11:13 PM
Haven't bought anything. I'd rather send $200 to the NRA-ILA than pay $2000 for a $1000 rifle. That way I'll still be able to buy the rifle for $1000 when prices come back down after the panic. Not only do I help RKBA; but I saved myself $800.

Great idea.

I'm lucky. I've been buying $50 of ammo every month for a year. Since the shelves are empty and there is nothing local to buy I joined (finally) the NRA, Gun Owners of America, and Georgia Gun Owners. Next pay check I'll send more to them and the NRA-ILA.

marine6680
January 7, 2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah... I just picked them up now rather than in a couple months due to the fact I knew prices were about to jump. About $250 for two with shipping. Now the prices are crazy. I'll pick up the uppers and parts in a couple months when the major rush is over and I can actually find the parts I want.

Bartholomew Roberts
January 7, 2013, 11:23 PM
Roberts...Good to hear your giving money to the NRA-ILA. I forgot to mention I sent money to them as well and would encourage everyone else to do so too

Well, the good news is you are covered even if it doesn't go as we would like; but the investment in your favorite RKBA groups is extremely worthwhile right now. Thanks for helping pull some of the load!

MagnumWill
January 7, 2013, 11:27 PM
I had been planning on picking up an AR for the wife for Christmas or her birthday, and then this whole mess happened. So my budget was $1400, and this is what I ended up with-

An off-brand ATI AR-15, known as an HDA-16. $999,
which appears to be pre-hysteria price. It's a strange rifle, it looks like a good mid-range gun. I'll do a review on it since there's *no* info on it.

-2 magpul P-mags, no window for $20 each.
-2 E-Lander steel mags for $17 each.
-2 P-mags with window, $17 each (on the net)
-3 aluminum mags with magpul followers, $13 each.

Sooo, I think I did pretty good. At ~$1300, made it under budget. Until I stroll about in optics land :rolleyes:

Ah yes, and I picked up three more Maadi AK mags for $14 each immediately after the hysteria. So I'm good :)

Oceanbob
January 7, 2013, 11:33 PM
Bought a couple of lower parts kits to finish up the last of my 7 ARs. Went looking (coffee in hand) in my 3 car garage Sunday morning for a box of AR15 and AK magazines I bought in the late 80s. Dug and moved boxes that have been stored for 20 years. Came upon one that I could not move; Heavy as can be. Cut the tape and found:

3300 rounds of 5.56 .223. Mostly American Eagle but 1200 rounds in two, 600 round green ammo boxes appear to be (google) Canadian C77, steel cored 62 grain, copper jacketed (yes a magnet picks up the cartridge) brass, with a Nato Cross headstamp, 1985 IVI all in these weird plastic stripper clips (10 to a clip)....looks good and Google says the stuff is accurate and fast, 3000 FPS. A bit better for barrier penetration as well.

2300 rounds of 7.62 X 39 in two wood crates (Steel case)

560 rounds of 7.62 x 51 (308) in wood crate (not steel BTY)

10,000 rounds of copper CCI Mini-mag .22. (my grandson is getting some of this)

500 rounds of Stinger CCI.

Wow...I must have bought this stuff in the late 80s at various gun shows.

I reload along with my 4 adult kids....we have two machines and my kids are into gun games on weekends.

I decided to hide this from them..:D hehehe

http://i50.tinypic.com/r2s3zr.jpg

Oh...I did find the box with the preban mags from 1989 as well...:D

tynman
January 7, 2013, 11:38 PM
I ordered my savage arms model 16 .308 before all this had happened. I picked it up the week after the Conn happened.
Also picked up some
200 rounds .308
200 rounds 30-30
100 rounds .40
But all this was needed even if this didnt happen.
I ordered everything before the price changes for all this stuff I was lucky. Now Ill wait for everything to come back down before I get any more...

Straitshot
January 8, 2013, 12:26 AM
I didn't buy anything but I traded for a M1A two days before the Newtown incident and boy am I glad I did. I would hate to have to try and get one now. It wasn't shipped until two days after the incident. I was worried that the dealer might not ship it but they honored their deal. I have wanted one for several years but just never pulled the trigger. Finally did and as I said, glad I did.

SDF880
January 8, 2013, 12:42 AM
Oh so nice M1A!!!

I picked up a Saiga 12 19 inch and added a Breacher Brake, ready to go!

SDF880

Quentin2
January 8, 2013, 01:16 AM
Nothing, I was lucky to finish a build by the first of Dec.

chadio
January 8, 2013, 01:32 AM
Nothing - I saw no reason to do any reactionary buying.

kynwatch
January 8, 2013, 02:14 AM
A 1976 Marlin 39a and 200 rounds of 500sw.

Aaron1100us
January 8, 2013, 03:44 AM
Lucky I bought my Arsenal SLR101S two weeks before the shooting at the school. Ordered 4 mags at the time. After the school shooting and when the buying frenzy started, I bought one 15 round mag @$40 for my G22 and have been buying what little ammo I can find thats not priced crazy. I did manage to find two 30 round Bakelite AK mags from an over seas source for $50.

Sent from my PB99400 using Tapatalk 2

iraiam
January 8, 2013, 03:47 AM
I bought a Smith and Wesson M&P 15, It is the first Smith that I even looked at since they did the "gun control" agreement with the Clinton administration back in te 90's.

kozak6
January 8, 2013, 03:54 AM
I didn't buy anything. Yet. I'd buy something if I could find a reasonable price, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

The local store was cleaned out of anything interesting. Everything AR was cleaned out. Plenty of handguns, shotguns, and high dollar M14 type guns.

There was one AK. It was $850 for some ugly Romo thing. I passed.

MRL21
January 8, 2013, 04:44 AM
I haven't bought anything I hadn't already intended to buy. Picked up a few large rifle primers day after the election, some powder, 30 cal. Noslers bt and accubond. Needed some 308 brass, went lapua over win this time since it is known to last longer and will save me having to find some since everyone lost their minds. Picked up a couple boxes of gold dots for .45ACP as my hollow points were in the 15 left range and it was time to rotate the stock.

Got a savage bolt action .22 for plinking. Traded 44mag ammo for some 223 and 357 sig ammo for a H&R 22lr/22mag.

All but my lower metal was order prior to the panic start. That came the first day or two. So only about $30.00 extra...

Everything for me had been business as usual. Even saw a guy loading up on small pistol primers this last weekend...well I guess the local Wally World being sold out of Varget was different. Still had RL22 though and CCI primers.

Rob96
January 8, 2013, 04:51 AM
Post Election:
Del Ton stripped lower= $119
PSA Premium LBK= $79.99
PSA Mid-length Upper= $319.99
3 D&H 30 round mags= $9.95 each

Still need a bolt carrier group:(

spacecoast
January 8, 2013, 06:11 AM
Right at the start of the frenzy (12/18) I found 1000 rounds of 7.62x39 (23 cents a round) and three AK mags (8.33 each) still in stock at Sportsmans Guide.

I'm waiting for small pistol primers to get back in stock, I still have enough to last me another year +/- but like to keep 5K or so on hand.

Art Eatman
January 8, 2013, 11:57 AM
Didn't need to buy or sell, so mostly I just watched the frenzy.

misterE
January 8, 2013, 12:05 PM
Bought an early 80s rem 700 in 308 ( preban ha!). BDL

Auto426
January 8, 2013, 12:47 PM
The day of the Aurora shooting in Colorado I went and purchased 10 P mags for my AR. Thankfully there wasn't really any sort of panic after that shooting, and inventory and price levels pretty much stayed the same.

Since the most recent set of events, all I've purchased is a MOE stock for my 6920. It's something I've been meaning to do for a while, but every time I looked it was always out of stock. I happened to find it on AIM Surplus the other day, and thankfully AIM doesn't believe in price gouging. They also have free shipping on Magpul items in addition to their very fair prices.

I don't plan on buying anything else though until the panic dies down. I refuse to pay the ridiculous prices out there right now.

sserdlihc
January 8, 2013, 01:19 PM
I've always believed and adhered to the philosophy of...It's never a good time to make a bad decision. This frenzy will/may subside and prices could fall back in line. If not, so be it. I don't have extra capital laying around to pay a premium for everyone else's panic.

Woody55
January 8, 2013, 01:30 PM
Nothing.

coldbeer
January 8, 2013, 02:15 PM
M1 carbine and some magazines. I was planning on buying it before the shootings though.

mac45
January 8, 2013, 03:12 PM
Some primers, and a couple pounds of powder.
Nothing I wouldn't have bought anyway.

RockyTop
January 8, 2013, 03:23 PM
Nothing. Was tempted but then saw the over-reaction prices and opted to wait it out.

hulley
January 8, 2013, 03:50 PM
I went the next day a bought 2k rounds of M855 and split it with some friends. I have what I think I "need" which means I have penty to go hunting with and do a little shooting.

BTW I didnt pay inflated prices so I didnt really buy anything that I wouldnt have bought anyways.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 8, 2013, 04:36 PM
I procrastinated and almost got caught with my pants own. I initially planned on waiting until after Christmas to resupply the 5.56 I had shot in the prior few months. To be honest the only reason I bought what I did was because the Hk I was looking for was in stock. I had waited almost 6 months to no avail for one. My LGS had placed an order but was the low man on the totem pole. When the guy at a gun store 2 hours away remembered that I had left my number and called me, I couldn't pass it up. I hope that I learned my lesson and not to put things off if I can help it.

Cricoid
January 8, 2013, 04:56 PM
Bought a Saiga 7.62 x 39 the day of the tragedy in CT.

Aside from that, just a bunch of reloading stuff.

anothernewb
January 8, 2013, 05:10 PM
The moment I saw the breaking news, I bought a few mags online. By the time I got to the store after work - all local stores in my area were wiped out of 223.

Without trying to hoard, the rest of the time since then has been trying to acquire a reasonable supply reloading components.

Skans
January 8, 2013, 05:15 PM
No rifle....yet. But I did purchase a used Sig X-Five 9mm Competition model. I can't afford the Level 1, wish I could, but just too much money for me.

I'm considering one of the following rifles:
Sig 556 (was considering a Sig 556R, but not after reading the info posted)
PTR-91 in Classic Wood
Polytech M1A
Maybe an AR, but at cheaper prices if the hype ever calms down.

Achilles11B
January 8, 2013, 07:05 PM
Just primers, brass and powder, but nothing I wouldn't have picked up anyway. The only firearm purchase I have lined up right now is a 1911 later on. I have two great AR's, no need to add another one for twice the price. If I want to start another build, I'll wait until the hysteria dies down.

JKHolman
January 8, 2013, 07:27 PM
Two bricks of small rifle primers [for reloading some .223 cartridges].

TheDoubleDeuce
January 8, 2013, 07:28 PM
I bought a couple hundred rounds of 30 carbine from Cabelas. Even though the m1 is listed as a proposed ban, they still had a decent stock of ammo. I also bought 500 rounds of 9mm online - i just want to be able to go to the range a little during all this panic. Hopefully my order actually ships. I wish I already had all my reloading gear so i wouldn't have to worry about it, but I'm not that lucky.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Apom
January 8, 2013, 08:18 PM
I have 3 lower receivers incoming (All 3 made by Mega Arms). Will also get 2 stocks if I can find a B5 Bravo somewhere in stock.

Justice06RR
January 8, 2013, 09:48 PM
I've only bought some extra ammo and a few pistol mags. I've bought most of my firearms "pre-Newtown" and do not buy into any of the buying frenzy going on.

OP, sorry but $2k for an AR is overpriced. Even in this climate I saw some AR's at last weekend's gun show for $1400 (and thats still gouging IMO). Post those prices on AR15.com and you will get flamed, but hey its "market price"...

Departed402
January 8, 2013, 11:48 PM
I had been trying to get a DPMS Recon 308 since September of '12. I had a local FFL place orders for it through 3 or 4 of his suppliers. I was quoted a price of $1,275 (tax and fees included) which would be a price worth waiting for! :cool:

However, by December (before Newtown) I was getting tired of waiting. I found a listing for one on Gun Broker late one night at a gun store about 75 miles away priced at $1,350. I called the gun store only to be told they sold it about a half hour earlier. :eek:

My father told me the Cabela's nearest to us had some for sale. On the Tuesday before the Newtown shooting I called the Cabela's. A nice employee told me that they had 3 in stock! I had the woman put one on hold for me, and said I would be there to pick it Saturday.

Friday the Newtown shooting took place.

On Saturday when I went up to purchase my 308 Recon Cabela's was a mad house! I took a number and waited, and waited, and waited. My number was finally called. I told the man my rifle was on hold, and he disappears into the back. After 5 minutes he returns empty-handed, and asks, "Is it on hold or lay-away?" :confused: "Hold," I say. He disappears again, but returns with my gun this time. :D The other two 308 Recons were long gone, and the guy behind the counter told me if I hadn't reserved my 308 Recon it would have surely been gone too. AR-15s were flying off the shelf. PMAGs were flying off the shelf. 5.56 and .223 ammo was flying off the shelf. The only ARs in 308 they had left were DPMS Sporticals (cheap-o's). I paid $1,499 for my DPMS 308 Recon, but with the events the day before and the media already talking gun control I was happy to be getting it for under list price. The following day I got onto Bass Pro's website and used a couple gift cards to buy some .308 PMAGs, and all I paid was the shipping.

I have since seen other 308 Recons go for $2,675 on Gun Broker, and I can only assume the last one I was watching was grabbed for the buy-it-now price of $3,000 :eek:

Ain't she a beaut'?

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b634/Jon_Neeman/IMAG0295_zps40645f3f.jpg

highpower3006
January 9, 2013, 09:12 AM
I didn't have to buy anything. I already had two AR's (one A2 and a M4gery) a boat load of magazines and a few thousand rounds of ammo.

For once, I was ahead of the curve. :D

Impreza
January 9, 2013, 11:53 AM
Some extra ammo but other than that nothing because nothing in stock...I was about to build my own AR after x-mas but that came to a hault lol:mad:

Shifty007
January 9, 2013, 01:25 PM
I built an AR for my wife and was lucky enough to get all the parts in before the complete craziness took over. I have another lower that I just completed and have the barrel, but am taking my time finding the right parts at the right prices. With several other AR's in the safe, there is no rush.

I have also been stalking Wal-Mart and have probably picked up about 2,000 rounds of WWB in 9mm, .38, and .357 at regular prices.

HKFan9
January 9, 2013, 02:15 PM
I ordered my BCM HSP Jack Carbine the day the event happened not knowing anything about it.

After I found out.. and the frenzy started... I bought 2 more AR lowers, and 30 more Pmags..

WHY you ask..

I work for a large gun store, so I wasn't subject to the frenzy or the price gouging so I bought two more lowers just in case... and the Mags I could have used anyways...

BCM emailed me a few days ago and told me my Jack would come March or April.

BerdanSS
January 9, 2013, 03:51 PM
Nothing more than my usual I've done over the last 8 years...I was already stocked with everything I need/wanted. It wont matter what you bought in panic, if they ban them....everyone is so sure anything new will just be a cookie cutter remake of previous rights denial. there is no serious/irritated smiley so... :rolleyes::mad::confused:

Strafer Gott
January 9, 2013, 04:24 PM
I confess. A 1960 model 94, and a model 94 saddlering Trapper. Oh and a Cimmaron '72 Opentop. I guess somebody just had to have that AR, bless them.
Tis an ill wind, that bloweth no good.

Citizen Tom
January 9, 2013, 05:27 PM
I haven't really shot much lately because of the increased price of ammo, but I purchased a converted Saiga in 5.45x39mm and a few magazines along with 1000 rounds for less than the price of a nice AR-15. I'm sure my neighbor gave me a little bit of a deal. He owns a gun store and often I run into him with him showing me something new he received. One online retailer sent an email to say they are refunding my money because they cannot fulfill the order for magazines.

2tango2
January 9, 2013, 06:28 PM
I already have a decent collection of handguns from about 10 years ago and had planned on getting an AR.

Newton sort of sped that up. Since December I have gotten 2 ARs, a Windham MPC and a Sig M400 Enhanced.

I've also gotten a Springfield XD-S and last night a Sig 522

I've been buying 30 round Pmags as well when I find them for less than 20 bucks

WildBill45
January 9, 2013, 06:31 PM
I bought a Russian AK47, but can't find my ammo yet!!!

Hairbag
January 9, 2013, 06:57 PM
Waffen werks AK74 and plenty of ammo!

Mike38
January 9, 2013, 07:04 PM
Well, I tried to buy two 30 round mags for my Saiga .223. They sent me the wrong mags. What they fit, I have no idea. Seller admitted mistake and asked me to return them, which I did. The ones that were supposed to come to me got sold, so now I’m on a waiting list for the next shipment. Needless to say, I’m not happy because my credit card has been charged, and I don’t have the merchandise.

If it matters, the seller was MJS Global. Be careful if ordering from them.

B. Lahey
January 9, 2013, 07:50 PM
Early on I topped off my stocks of .223 and 7.62x39. Nothing extravagant, just replenished plinking ammo in anticipation of a run on ammo retailers.

Since then I have been restocking 7.5 French and .38 Rimless Smokeless. Finding it has been a breeze, and I should really have more on hand in case internet sales are impacted by future legislation.

And I'm selling my AUG. Hopefully somebody will get more amusement out of the goofy thing than I did, leaving me with cash for weird old guns.

cobra81
January 9, 2013, 09:05 PM
Smith & Wesson lower. $159
White Oak Arms Upper 24" 1-8 twist $610
A2 buttstock $52
Geiselle HiSpeed Natl Match trigger $279
Lower parts kit $40
----------------------------------------
Total $1160

Plus snagged 300 once-fired .223 brass, a couple AR Stoner 20-rd mags,
and plenty of powder. Picked up a Nikon Pro-Staff BDC 4-12X scope today.

I was always wanting to get one AR platform to round out my arsenal, but this just put the plan a little ahead of schedule.

Jayster
January 9, 2013, 09:28 PM
Picked up some 9mm, .40S&W, some .22 and some buckshot.

Luckily all priced decently.

I had been wanting a Ruger 10-22 and now they are just about nowhere to be found.
A freakin .22.............

Hopefully the madness will end soon.......

ChasingWhitetail91
January 9, 2013, 10:23 PM
I bought a can of soda at Walmart, leaned up against the counter, and watched people buy more ammunition then they'll ever need.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 9, 2013, 10:27 PM
I bought a can of soda at Walmart, leaned up against the counter, and watched people buy more ammunition then they'll ever need.

I find this hard to believe.

There was still ammo at Wal-Mart?? =)

9mm
January 9, 2013, 10:59 PM
I was already prepared for this, now would be a good time to sell if you have a few extra AR-15/AK47/74 around, make double what you paid, LGS is just selling consignment AR/AK's for $2000 people bring in lol, people have been paying $1800-$2700 for them at LGS lol.

Only walmart ammo I can find is 30-08/274? odd caliber hunting rifles, 7.62x39, 40 S&W, 12, 410, 20g, 380 auto, 22short/wmr/magnum.

johnwilliamson062
January 9, 2013, 11:19 PM
Greenbacks. Lots and lots of greenbacks.

IF I run across some 22lr I will probably buy though. The problem I have with 22lr is that the more I stock up the more I shoot so it just doesn't work well.

jason_iowa
January 9, 2013, 11:27 PM
I sold stuff. Made a killing on ak and sks rifles and magazines 2-300% profits. I never got into the ar thing I hated the m4 when I was in the service I was not going to buy one as a civilian. Thankfully I was able to pick and choose my weapons pretty freely.

I was tempted to buy some more M1A stuff before prices went up. One of my suppliers had a couple I was looking at but they did not last long. I'm not worried about an awb. It could happen and I may eat my words later on but on a scale of 1-10 as of today 1/9/13 I'm at about 2-3. Slightly above my worry of a terrorist attack and way below global warming and the threat of a second year of drought in Iowa which would be devastating to our state economy and make it much harder for me to buy what I want.

johnwilliamson062
January 9, 2013, 11:29 PM
My walmart STILL has ammo. 45 ACP 357 mag, 223, 762X39 and many others. Maybe not the cheapest in any of those, but they have them in stock. This shortage is nothing compared to the last.

tgreening
January 9, 2013, 11:33 PM
It's weird what people have panic bought. There isn't a mag to be found in my area for a measly Ruger SR-22. That's a dinky little .22 pistol with a 10 rnd mag. What??

Every ATI aftermarket stock for ANYthing in my local stores have disappeared. Huh?

Ruger BX-25s are non-existent for 10-22s, yet the comparable mags for AR style .22s still sit there. ??

Pricing on 9mm has gone up a couple $ /box, but .40 has gone up a full $5, and they literally have cases of that crap on the shelves AND piled up under the shelves, spilling over to under shelves that aren't even handgun related. It's everywhere, but it's gone up 5 bucks.

It's them dang Black Helicopters I think. I saw 'em hovering around. Gotta be some kind of Black Ops sneaky conspiracy thingy... :D

Ignition Override
January 10, 2013, 03:36 AM
Nothing.
If you have the cash at strategic times, you buy ammo and guns Months before certain presidential elections, or Months before a
possible "king's coronation;)".
People should have Anticipated, and bought what they actually wanted, when they wanted it, based on the terrible reality that the US is always one mass tragedy away from a media and buying frenzy, especially after Tucson, Aurora and the Portland Mall.

Did panic buyers not see the trend and realize who resides in, or could be re-elected to the White House and which party has the Senate majority?

This price bubble will deflate after a while, and lots of AR, Mini 14 etc owners who were never interested until the last two weeks or so will be unhappy with what they paid, after prices come down a bunch. Lots of happy buyers will be smiling.
Buy high-sell low, or be stuck with it. Nobody forced anybody to buy anything.

giaquir
January 10, 2013, 07:17 AM
I haven't bought anything.
I'm pretty well content with what
I have and that's without an AR

mk70ss
January 10, 2013, 07:24 AM
I already had a RRA AR15 and four 20 round mags and two 30 round. But i figured what the hell, and picked up an M&M model 10-762 AK-47 with a folding stock and four 30 round TapCo mags. Also have 500 rounds of 762x39 incoming.

chewie146
January 10, 2013, 10:41 AM
I didn't buy anything yet, but my spending spree will include some new arrows, fletching, glue, hot melt, inserts, broadheads, small game points, and field points. Luckily I don't have an assault bow. My quiver only holds 3 rounds of that especially deadly ammunition.

Flieger67
January 10, 2013, 10:44 AM
My wife got me a Daniel Defense DDM4 with an ACOG just after the CT incident. And yes, I feel blessed to have her in my life. And no, she doesn't have a sister.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk.

j3ffr0
January 10, 2013, 12:30 PM
Nothing. I'm glad I have a couple decent guns already, although I don't have an AR. I'm not going to buy at inflated prices, so I'll wait. It's amazing how slim the pickings are around here. One place I know had a case full of Wilson Combat 1911s. Now they are sold out of those. Go figure!

If ARs do get banned, there is no realistic scenario I can think of where a more conventional gun will not work nearly as well for home defense. YMMV

Mausermolt
January 10, 2013, 01:17 PM
i bought a RRA coyote carbine upper, just because i was wanting one for a while. thats it because im not going to be back in the states for about a year. lucky me by the time i get back home lots of cheep lowers and accessories are going to be floating around and i will actually have the money to pay for it! :D

Xaak
January 10, 2013, 01:22 PM
two 25 round Ruger BX-25 .22 mags - 27.99 each
two boxes of CCI AR Tactical .22 LR (375 rounds each) - 24.99 each
3 PMAG 5.56 - 14.95 each
1 3 pk of Ranger Plates for PMAG - 15.96
500 rounds M855 Green Tip 5.56 - $199 (Gun Show in Richmond, VA - sold a pallet of this product out within the first two hours of the first day of the two day weekend event, December 1)

Nothing unusual for me around this time of year, except for the PMAGs which I bought from Quantico Tactical, knowing that the price surge was coming and the inventory levels decreasing.

RickB
January 10, 2013, 01:29 PM
Two, 25-round mags for a recently-introduced rifle. Paid "pre ban talk" retail price.

AndyWest
January 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
I've only bought AR optics after Dec 14. I refuse to zero them at a dollar a shot though...

mingheemouse
January 10, 2013, 03:46 PM
Absolutely nothing I wasn't planning on buying anyway, and none of it from a shop that gouges on prices during a panic. Mostly just more .22lr ammo, because I reload everything else.

ritepath
January 10, 2013, 06:23 PM
The day after the shooting I picked up 6 mags and an upper to complete a lower I had built last spring. (all an normal prices) I'll not be buying anything for several months.

Sad thing is Ammo prices have made my inventory an investment, so I won't be doing much shooting for a while either.

That's okay, I'm going to buy a dirtbike instead of ammo and guns this year. :D

maqueswell
January 10, 2013, 06:26 PM
Zip zero nada!!

Ole man 52
January 10, 2013, 06:40 PM
I bought 3000 small pistol primers and 2 pounds of Winchester 231 powder. These are things I needed, not to stock pile. I bought them from our local gun shop. The prices were $34.00 per thousand and $21.00 per pound. I thought they may be hard to get, but he had plenty of both on hand. I guess I can consider myself lucky.

R. Walter
January 10, 2013, 07:01 PM
I picked up two Bushmaster a/r's new from Sportsmans Warehouse 2 days after CT. Prices were the regular price. The a/r's were flying off the shelf. Now they have nothing in the way of an a/r left. These added to the others I already own, and which I'll give my two adult sons as soon as they exit the military. I'll keep one for myself.

The other day I picked up an HK P30 new at normal retail prices, although it had just been received and put on the shelf. Ordered online some extra 15 round mags from HK Parts. NOt cheap, but not very inflated.

LOLBELL
January 10, 2013, 07:25 PM
I didn't buy anything either. I reload everything I shoot but 22 and 22mag. I had just bought 10,000 rounds of 22lr and 5,000 rounds of 22mag in August so I'm set with rimfire. I keep several years of powder, primers and bullets on hand so I'm just sitting back laughing at all of the crazy prices people are paying. I figure when things settle down the market will have to lower prices to move stuff because consumers will be over stocked and not buying. I'll buy then. I've never wanted a black rifle and still don't. I'm not knocking them just don't care for them. I think it is MY right to decide if I own one or not. Not King Obama's or Princess Fienstien's

tomrkba
January 10, 2013, 07:34 PM
http://i1205.photobucket.com/albums/bb425/tomrkba/firearms/revolvers/Smith%20Model%2024/photo-20.jpg

JohnO
January 10, 2013, 08:55 PM
An Armalite AR10 m4

HawkeyeNRAlifer
January 10, 2013, 08:56 PM
A PAP M92. It's a Yugo AK pistol, Krikov style, that I want to turn into a SBR. Shoulda bought it before the madness, and I could have waited for things to settle down, but this might not return to the market place. That's what happened to the Draco's I waited to buy a year or two ago.
I'm ok on AK's, AR's and ammo, just wanted to grab a new "something" for christmas.

zbones6
January 10, 2013, 09:06 PM
I didnt buy anything because I live in NJ and gun stores are DRY

UtopiaTexasG19
January 10, 2013, 09:28 PM
Oh, I thought this thread was "What Did you Bury During The Current AWB Frenzy" ! :)

SoCal326
January 10, 2013, 10:04 PM
Magpul followers. Now my mags work again YAY!

taylorce1
January 10, 2013, 10:40 PM
Universal M1 carbine, seven 15 round magazines, 800 rounds of ammunition and spent in the neighborhood of $650. I wanted another AR but couldn't touch one, for a price I was willing to pay. Plus M1's will be on the banned list just as the same as the AR's.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 11, 2013, 12:08 AM
Universal M1 carbine, seven 15 round magazines, 800 rounds of ammunition and spent in the neighborhood of $650. I wanted another AR but couldn't touch one, for a price I was willing to pay. Plus M1's will be on the banned list just as the same as the AR's.

Luckily I just inherited a 1943 Inland M1, 500 rounds, two 30 round magazines and a bunch of 15 rounders. Can't beat free guns! It's a shame they're trying to ban these neat little rifles. They're so fun to shoot, and a piece of history to boot.

droptrd
January 11, 2013, 09:42 AM
With my $0 budget and my cabelas card I purchased....

about $300 worth of reloading components
3 stripped lowers
Another mossy 500
4 lower parts kits
a DD mid length upper
2 MI handguards
Numerous AR parts
Keltec PF9
5 c products 30 rounders (they kinda suck ive found out)
lots of other gun gak

and now a maxed out CC:eek:

WildBill45
January 11, 2013, 10:48 AM
How do we know this isn't Joe Biden checking up on your purchases???

How do you know? We just fess up here on the INTERNET...

taylorce1
January 11, 2013, 12:23 PM
Forgot to mention I bought lifetime memberships to the NRA for my wife and daughter. That was my most expensive purchase of the frenzy.

Antibomber
January 11, 2013, 12:31 PM
Picked up 5 AR15 MagPul 30rd mags for $19/ea as a mini buying frenzy began. Saw a 40rd aluminum (crap) magazine for AR15 for $150 just about wet myself laughing.

Antibomber
January 11, 2013, 12:33 PM
My local shop is expecting a shipment of 15 of these in the next couple days for $900. I plan on picking one of those up. Hopfully I can grab one, they don't reserve and it'll be first come, first served. Wish me luck.

NJgunowner
January 11, 2013, 01:13 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/185753_522970437736716_338490309_n.jpg

slim9300
January 11, 2013, 02:07 PM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/185753_522970437736716_338490309_n.jpg

Is that a 556R?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Romeo 33 Delta
January 11, 2013, 02:11 PM
Completed my Winchester model 43 collection (.22 Hornet, .218 Bee, 32/20 WCF) with a .25/20 WCF! Not exactly state of the art ... but cool and somewhat rare.:D

RetiredMajor
January 11, 2013, 02:25 PM
I sold my S&W M&P 15 Sport for an awesome profit and upgraded to a Colt SP 6920. The timing was perfect.

Dragline45
January 11, 2013, 02:50 PM
Plus M1's will be on the banned list just as the same as the AR's.

Not from what I understand.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 11, 2013, 03:09 PM
Not from what I understand.

What have you heard? When I read the list of firearms she proposes to ban by name, the m1 carbine was on it.

Hoosier_Daddy
January 11, 2013, 03:11 PM
Today a new Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm 4". It was on my list late fall as a back up gun for my M&P 9 pro 5" and with all this high magazine capacity nonsense I decided today was the day to take care of this want.

Now if I can just get my backorder filled for the 6 M&P 17 round magazines, I will be set.

NJgunowner
January 11, 2013, 03:21 PM
Is that a 556R?

No, just a normal NJ compliant sig556 swat patrol 5.56

Dragline45
January 11, 2013, 06:13 PM
What have you heard? When I read the list of firearms she proposes to ban by name, the m1 carbine was on it.

I wasn't aware the M1 was on the list. Even so, I am pretty confident none of these weapons will be banned, but I am not so sure about high-cap mags.

I say this because the state I live in, which is Massachusetts, was hit hard by the last AWB in 94', as was California. No particular platforms of weapons were banned, but certain features were restricted. No folding stocks, no forward pistol grip, no flash suppressors, and a few other ridiculous things that made no sense other than legislators thought they made the guns look scary. But the worst of it is no high-cap mags unless grandfathered in. The reason I say I don't think AR's and the like will be banned is if I see anything passing, I see it following suite with Mass. and California. Hopefully it does not come to that, but logically it seems like that would be the next step.

The whole thing is full of pure ignorance and simple mindedness. To want to ban things like barrel shrouds based solely because they look scary, which by the way serve the purpose of not injuring the person shooting, just shows how naive these people are.

stubbicatt
January 12, 2013, 06:37 AM
I bought a RCBS Hand Priming tool and neat little strips to hold the primers, and a device to load the strips. And a box of 87 grain Hornady hollowpoint bullets in 6mm.

I really must get out and do some coyote hunting.

batmann
January 12, 2013, 10:39 AM
I did not buy for myself, but did buy a CORE 15 for my son. His son bought him 5 Magpul mags and he reloads so he is in pretty good shape.
I made my purchase just a week before the CT shooting and found out later that I could have sold to back to the LGS for MORE than I paid because by now they had a waiting list and couldn't get anymore.

dave9969
January 12, 2013, 11:18 AM
the latest news has them taxing the crap out of ammunition now.
They Obama administration is now looking at a MINIMUM of 50% tax on all ammo. They intend that if they can not ban the guns they will make it so expensive that you can not afford to shoot the damn things. This was a lead news story the other day on CNN, so it was main stream media, not the Huffington Post.

oldsoonershooter
January 12, 2013, 11:51 AM
I was careful,but I spent too much. I don't think I got overcharged on anything. 2 PSA uppers for 720.00. 1 BCG for 300.00, 3 lbs power and 4000 primers for 200.00, 1 complete lower pts kit for 80.00, and 10 mag for $200.00. I think I'm done for a while.

RC20
January 12, 2013, 12:04 PM
Nothing, I had what I felt I needed or wanted.

As for the following, no sources sited other than general. Until we have a source its a rumor.

And for the unaware, congress has to vote on tax increases. If you think that's going to pass you are smoking too much powder.

the latest news has them taxing the crap out of ammunition now.
They Obama administration is now looking at a MINIMUM of 50% tax on all ammo. They intend that if they can not ban the guns they will make it so expensive that you can not afford to shoot the damn things. This was a lead news story the other day on CNN, so it was main stream media, not the Huffington Post.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 12, 2013, 12:20 PM
FWIW, looks like the 50% ammo tax proposal does not apply to ammo BOUGHT AND CONSUMED at a gun range. Still a bad situation, but at least there would be an option for non-reloaders.

http://capitalregionreport.wordpress.com/2012/12/19/one-gun-proposal-would-tax-ammunition/

amcamu
January 12, 2013, 12:27 PM
I gave in to the panic a few days after the incident, and filled a hole in my tiny collection while I felt I could still do so relatively cheaply. I purchased an FN FS2000 and 120 rounds of 5.56 at uninflated prices prior to Christmas. I love the rifle, have no issues with the manual of arms, trigger or ergonomics...I just havent been able to go shoot the thing yet, and its killing me! Hopefully, I will be able to buy some more ammunition at a reasonable price soon so that I can replace and build on the meager ammount I have on hand. Luckily, my CHL came in at the same time, so I was able to divert my attention to a belt and holster. That search and the ability to finally carry my Kimber has taken some of the sting away.

taylorce1
January 12, 2013, 12:47 PM
Dragline45 is correct that M1 Garands are not on the ban list, but when I wrote M1's I was refering to the carbine. The M1 carbine was on the Clinton ban because it used a detachable magazine of more than 10 rounds, some have bayonet lugs, and some folding stocks. Remember the first AWB banned cosmetic features more than anything else besides standard and hi-capicity magazines.

If they use the Clinton ban as a template than the little M1 carbine will be a nasty "assault weapon" again.

Colorado308shooter
January 12, 2013, 01:48 PM
(6) SR-9 17 round magazines from Cabela's....got them two weeks before Conneticut happened.

500 Midway dogtown .223 bullets.....got them from Midway on my birthday sale, was extremely lucky....they went out of stock 10 minutes after I placed my order.

Back in November, I bought 500 Nosler 168 grain HPBT's from Cabela's.....you can't find those anywhere now.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 13, 2013, 12:14 AM
I guess it's worth noting that I went to the gun show today and came home empty handed. $45 for unboxed glock mags, $175 for a crappy Mosin Nagant, and $16/50 9mm CCI blazer. Not a single Garand under $1k nor M1 Carbine under $700.

xnaerughiazk
January 13, 2013, 09:36 PM
Bought some Buck knives, getting them now while I still can

cornbush
January 14, 2013, 08:28 AM
Nothing,I refuse to contribute to the frenzy

FlyerXD
January 14, 2013, 12:06 PM
Bought lots of P Mags sniffing around for another rifle.

chucknbach
January 14, 2013, 01:01 PM
1 stripped lower $70
12 30 round mags 6@$15 6@$18
2 20 round mags

Like the OP I was saving for my first AR to be bought later in the year. Oh well I picked up what I could afford.

mrvco
January 14, 2013, 04:20 PM
Nothing,I refuse to contribute to the frenzy

ditto

I'm neither selling, nor buying.

Fishbed77
January 14, 2013, 05:17 PM
I won't lie - I ordered a few spare Glock and AR magazines.

I also bought a new 7.62x39mm Saiga and a conversion kit, along with about 600 rounds of ammo and some mags. However, this wasn't a panic buy, it was a year-end buy I planned all along.

Cy4ka
January 14, 2013, 09:12 PM
I'll be honest, I bought some parts to build a personal cannon which fires a proprietary 70mm payload.

I also got some AK parts to build a krink flamethrower with :D

TheDoubleDeuce
January 14, 2013, 10:24 PM
I'll be honest, I bought some parts to build a personal cannon which fires a proprietary 70mm payload.

I also got some AK parts to build a krink flamethrower with :D

Lol! If you're serious - pics!

koondawg
January 14, 2013, 10:26 PM
5- 30 round battlemags for $15 ea.
2- 90 round mags for $100 ea.

flgunguy
January 15, 2013, 12:43 AM
I had already purchased 2 more EBR's before the election. So all i was after was mags and accessories.

AK side rail mount from K-Var
30 rd bulgarian waffled mags
40 rd bulgarian waffled mags
magpul p mags

t45
January 15, 2013, 03:55 PM
I have to admit I gave in to the temptation. Ive been thinking about an AR for a while. The only thing I could lay my hands on was a Olympic Arms carbine flat top. I know they have had issues in the past but I hope it is still in the past. By the way, there are no good deals on AR's right now.

Patriot86
January 16, 2013, 04:42 PM
I have been buying cheap 9MM and 223 target grade ammo when I can find it because of all the guys out there buying everything in sight.

The stock girl at walmart told me the last time she got a case of Federal 9MM in before she even opened the box someone came up to her, told her don't even unpack it I will take it all...just nuts.

I did manage to find something I have been trying to find for a while now, a PPQ in 9MM. The Magazines cost me more than I would like to admit though.

Justice06RR
January 16, 2013, 10:26 PM
I'm not involved in the "frenzy". I'm just buying and stocking up as I do normally on ammo, accesories, and mags. I already own too many firearms that I have ammo for, or can afford to buy.

ThomasT
January 16, 2013, 11:14 PM
I was already looking at Ars before the CT shooting and started a thread on this forum on Dec. 4th about DPMS rifles. I bought a DPMS A-3 Lite and just got under the wire. I paid $714 for my gun off GB and with all the shipping and transfer got out for $780. I also bought a brand new RRA handle for $100 from a poster here. So I feel prety good for what I got. My same rifle sold for $1700 two days later to a buyer in Wyoming.

I also bought 3 twenty round mags from Brownells for about $45. Also 500 remington 115gr 9mm from Graf for a little over $75 IIRC.

Anyway I am well stocked and will wait for things to cool off before I buy anything else.

kozak6
January 16, 2013, 11:42 PM
It turns out that the $800 AK I saw was actually a completely fair price for that version and I should have bought it.

Today I ran across a Mini 14 and some fancy pants piston AR-10 type thing.

The Mini was $1600. The AR-10 thing was $3500.

I passed on both.

Baylorattorney
January 17, 2013, 12:04 AM
Got the Rossi circuit judge in 410/45 long colt. It's on the list as shotgun with revolving cylinder even though its a rifle. Got the tactical tuffy.

Dragline45
January 17, 2013, 12:32 AM
I didn't buy a thing, I'm waiting for the frenzy to die down so I can cash in. More than half the people buying guns right now aren't even gun people. The market will be flooded in a year or so with unfired or near mint rifles and pistols. I'll hold off and cash in on all the naive buyers out there.

Justice06RR
January 17, 2013, 05:05 AM
It turns out that the $800 AK I saw was actually a completely fair price for that version and I should have bought it.

Today I ran across a Mini 14 and some fancy pants piston AR-10 type thing.

The Mini was $1600. The AR-10 thing was $3500.

I passed on both.

Yes, $800 is a very fair price for an AK right now. Most of them go for $1k + even for the lower-end AK's.

I got lucky and bought a Draco AK last week for $700 with 2mags. I don't consider it a panic buy as I've always wanted an AK47, and it was still a very good price considering the whole frenzy.

iblong
January 17, 2013, 07:19 AM
Most of my buying was a week or two before the election,I load for everything
Except 22's.I remembered the panic buying 4 yrs ago and got cought with my pants down.I bought powder, bullets,and enough primmers to get buy for quite a while.I bought a 10/22 several 25 rounders and several bricks of ammo
2wks prior to the election.I admit I was at my LGS 8:00 the morning after the election and bought a AR on sale for 679.00,just because I was Pi--ed off.
Told the wife 11:00 the night of the election if I was gone when she woke up
Obama won and I would be out buying an AR to keep my Mini company.Oh and
I did buy a snuby to keep my 586 company but it was only 250.So my 2013
toy allowance has been spent but all at good price points.

therealdeal
January 17, 2013, 07:23 AM

nothing, but I have had second thoughts to that decision

Hamour
January 17, 2013, 07:36 AM
I got an early Christmas present, a Colt M4 and this prompted my nephew to pick one up as well. Both from Walmart @ 1100 usd or so. Just beat the rush by a few days.

I also picked up 24 pounds or powder and 10,00 primers. (5,000 LRM and 5,000 SRM)

More M1 Garands are on the menu and HXP Ball.

Here is the Colt with a pig and a deer
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Hunting/2012%20Hunting%20Pictures%20and%20videos/2012%20Oakwood/DSC07173.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a178/HamourKiller/Hunting/2012%20Hunting%20Pictures%20and%20videos/2012%20Oakwood/DSC07160.jpg

Aberration
January 17, 2013, 01:48 PM
Ive gotten an Arsenal AK. 4 AR lowers, 2 uppers, 2 good barrels. Bunch of small parts. 5 Pmags, only had GI mags before.

Old Grump
January 17, 2013, 02:39 PM
Rifle, pistol and shotgun ammo. Found some for the less used guns that I don;t often see on the toy store shelf so I jumped in and got a little bit more than my share of 16 gauge and a few boxes of 25-20 plus the usual suspects, 300 Wby, 30-30, .308, 30-06, 44 mag, 22LR match ammo etc. I'm just trying to keep what I have fed so I can exercise them on a regular basis. Never know when the practice might come in handy.

elDiabloLoco
January 17, 2013, 03:12 PM
Hey Hamour.....according to grabberz propaganda you can't hunt those animals with those rifles.

But since you seemingly did the impossible....Wild pig-n-venison sausage. Yum!
I fix a mean jambalaya......just sayin'.

;)

TheNatureBoy
January 17, 2013, 03:14 PM
Nothing. Chose not to drink the cool aid this time.

Dr Big Bird PhD
January 17, 2013, 03:15 PM
I broke and got 500 rds of 5.56. The local gun range was selling them for $11 per 20 and I couldn't pass it up.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 17, 2013, 05:04 PM
Hey Hamour.....according to grabberz propaganda you can't hunt those animals with those rifles.

But since you seemingly did the impossible....Wild pig-n-venison sausage. Yum!
I fix a mean jambalaya......just sayin'.

;)

Hey, Red Jacket did it... Well, they might have re-chambered it for .454 Casull first :-)

Ifishsum
January 18, 2013, 06:11 PM
I don't really like 30 round magazines - they get in my way on the bench and I generally find them heavy, cumbersome and unnecessary. But on Dec. 15 or so I figured maybe I'd better grab a few before some idiotic politician decides what's best for me. Luckily Midway still had Stoners for about $13, because I probably wouldn't have paid much more than that. At the very least maybe they'll make good trading stock someday.

Mostly my response has been adding stock of my most-used reloading components. I learned from the 2008 shortage and try to keep my personal inventory up now.

tgreening
January 18, 2013, 09:43 PM
I scored 4 BX-25s for my 10/22 today. Haven't seen any of those around for awhile. Had to pay $30 a piece though. :)

TheDoubleDeuce
January 18, 2013, 11:41 PM
1941 91/30, 80rds 7.62x54r, 40rds 30-30, 15rd M1 Carbine mag

Doublea A
January 19, 2013, 04:09 PM
I bought another Glock 19 Gen 4 without any price increase. But paid $90.00 for two additional magazines. :eek::eek::eek: I have a total of 10 15rd mags between two Glocks. I might buy two more but I will wait till the price drop to under $30.

kenny g
January 19, 2013, 04:31 PM
I'm comfortable with my current stockpile of weapons and ammo on hand.
however after seeing obummers list of EO'S he signed,I did run out and pickup a couple of cases of my favorite brew. sometimes warsteiner dunkel can be a bit tough to find in these here parts of KY. :p

HKFan9
January 19, 2013, 06:42 PM
Lets see.. to this date...

I ordered my BCM Jack Carbine the day it happened (not because of fear, I wanted one badly and that was the day the order form went live.)

I picked up:

Bushmaster Carbon-15 w/ 2 mags and 2 optics - $500
Glock 19 w/ 3 mags and a leather holster - $200
Another complete lower w/ Magpul furniture- $200
Stripped lower - $90
Lower Parts Kit - $60
AR Barrel... Free
30x Pmags - $12 each

So I spent a total of $1400 not including my order for the Jack Carbine.

The carbon-15 and glock were used guns, guys were trading them in at work towards other purchases so I bought them for myself.

2000ShadowACE
January 20, 2013, 08:04 AM
I bought an LCR .38 for about $100 less than I could find anywhere on line. We went to the gun show yeaterday and most of the vendors didn't even show up because they are out of stock.

LelloBeetle
January 20, 2013, 08:17 AM
Ammunition
Couple 25-round magazines for my Ruger 10/22lr Carbine
Bersa BP9CC
S&W M&P22

On my list: .45 acp pistol. Maybe the SR45 if there is one to be had

thump_rrr
January 20, 2013, 08:34 AM
Noveske Gen 1 lower which is what I was looking for with quality parts $850 which is the going price here in Canada.
Stag 3 Gun on Thursday for $1989 which is $110 off of regular retail.

We don't have the low prices seen south of the border before this current hysteria but we don't have inflated prices since the run on everything either.

We also have access to surplus ammo supplies not available in the USA such as non corrosive 5.56 by Norinco for $499/1600

darkgael
January 20, 2013, 08:50 AM
I bought nothing. I have everything that I want and more than I "need".

Pete

kozak6
January 20, 2013, 03:07 PM
I ran across one of those all American made IO AK's for $1500. It came with three magazines. I passed.

I saw a Century FAL with no magazine for $850. Maybe not a bad price, but 7.62x51 isn't cheap. I know I'd be happier with a bolt action that costs and weighs half as much with twice the accuracy.

On the plus side, I did see a couple of single shot bolt action .22's for $120 each or so. The dealer even told me outright he could come down a bit on price. One in great shape, and one in project shape. I've actually been meaning to buy a single shot bolter for a long time, so I might even get both.

I also a Remington 11-48. It might be fun to tactical up since parts can be adapted from other Remington shotguns.

NickySantoro
January 20, 2013, 03:19 PM

Nothing. I topped off my "must have" items well before Virginia Tech. Even a blind man should have seen this coming. All that was needed was one or two more psychos to perpetrate such tragedies for the gun banners to dance in the blood and drum up support from the sheeple to punish those who had nothing to do with the events in question.

2ndsojourn
January 20, 2013, 03:48 PM
Nothing. I already have all I need. After the hysteria dies down I'll probably get a couple things I don't need.

Herbert1517
January 20, 2013, 04:06 PM
I was able to get an adequate supply of new Ruger 20 round mags for my Mini 30. I should be good for this lifetime.

Marquezj16
January 20, 2013, 08:14 PM
I certainly did not buy anything that was over priced like mags or lowers. I did buy some reloading components but only if they were the same price as before the buying frenzy.

Onward Allusion
January 20, 2013, 08:31 PM
Sold a bunch of mags that I had stashed exactly for this. . .some at 7x what they were purchased for. I didn't gouge - started the auctions at .01 with no reserve. Go figure. . .

I purchased just a half dozen bricks of 22LR and some non-OEM 10/22 receivers for custom builds but that's about it. I would have done that anyway.

BDM 9MM
January 20, 2013, 09:33 PM
Browning Buckmark slabside .22 with rosewood grips at Cabelas. It is in like new condition and I was looking for a second buckmark for awhile. Great price at $315.00. PS Ammo was all but sold out. They had a two box/caliber quota on ammo sales. I don't need any more for now.

makarov
January 21, 2013, 01:17 AM
2 BX 25 mags. Midway would only let me have 2. They are sold out now. Were on sale for $21.95.

UtopiaTexasG19
January 21, 2013, 08:27 AM
"The latest news has them taxing the crap out of ammunition now."

So they think some crazy person who plans on a mass shooting and dieing in the process themselves is going to worry about the price of ammunition?

I have bought nothing, started stocking up 4 years ago.

bbqbob51
January 21, 2013, 12:53 PM
Stuff is too expensive, I did buy 100 rounds of CCI mini mag 22lr at a local gun shop. He had plenty in stock it was only about $1 more than what I would have paid at Walmart. I'm glad I bought the 50 cal ammo can full of 2100 rounds of Federal bulk they had on sale at Cabela's this past summer for $73.00. I probably had a few thousand rounds before that purchase and I probably bought at least two or three thousand rounds after but before this latest panic.
I have a few thousand rounds of various center fire rounds, 9mm, 38spl, 35mag and .223/5.556 which is enough to last me several months as most of my recreational shooting is 22lr. Rimfire ammo is what I worry about running out of but during the winter I only go out and shoot once or twice a month and usually go through a few hundred rounds of rimfire and 3 or 4 dozen rounds of centerfire. At that rate I have enough to last more than a year even taking into account I shoot lots more in the spring, summer and fall. I'll wait out this shortage and don't invite too many people along when I shoot, there's always someone in the crowd that "Didn't get a chance to buy ammo." Of course they have no problem shooting mine!:rolleyes:
With a dozen firearms in my possession, I have enough guns to shoot (including a couple of "assault rifles") so I will hold onto my cash.

Mike40-11
January 23, 2013, 01:35 PM
I went crazy and picked up a NAA .22 mini revolver.

And some .223 55 gr bullets, but that was early on and they were still under $0.11 a piece.

Closing The Gap
January 23, 2013, 01:51 PM
Picked up a Pardner Pump 12ga($189) and a Rossi Circuit Judge .45LC/.410($449) both on sale at Dunham's sporting goods. Plus a bunch of .40S&W at wallyworld.

Gunnutfn49
January 23, 2013, 03:10 PM
Lots and lots of reloading components.

Nail Shooter
January 23, 2013, 05:32 PM
22 LR can. Paperwork/stamp finally came thru after a ridiculous wait time of 7 months. The "panic" did not affect its price as it was locked in last yr.

I did buy a very nice airsoft pistol yesterday to practice indoors with. Prices of these did not change during the panic. :)

Some of us planned ahead and bought pre-2008 for ammo, guns, etc to avoid panic pricing. ;)

Nail

gpjoe
January 23, 2013, 07:42 PM
More bullets for my 45ACP reloading from Precision Delta.

A Remington 597 with cheap Simmons scope.

A CZ 527 carbine in .223 Remington.

TheDoubleDeuce
January 23, 2013, 08:13 PM
Just came back from the LGS with an M48 and some 8mm ammo...

Hook686
January 24, 2013, 12:23 AM
IOW, these^^^^^^ kinds of people, people who do things based on fear of what "might" happen.

... and those in control know how to get people to do what they want.

shootniron
January 24, 2013, 12:25 AM
Nothing...I was already well stocked.

highbrow
January 24, 2013, 12:07 PM
Bunch of ammo, various calibers and guages, at an estate sale. Way less than pre panic retail prices. Also a nice M1917 Eddystone with original 6-18 barrel.

FairWarning
January 24, 2013, 02:27 PM
Absolutely nothing on the Regime's "scary" :rolleyes: list. I was already in good shape.

I did pick up on some .357 Mag ammo (prices of this rather non-trendy, non-tactical :o ammo haven't been affected much), but as part of an online deal where I wanted to get more value for the minimum shipping cost while ordering some non-lethal items.

FairWarning
January 24, 2013, 02:31 PM
Just came back from the LGS with an M48 and some 8mm ammo...

This is a perfectly reasonable choice, since such vintage items are still in the normal price range. Someone who scooped up an AR15 at double or more the normal price has probably been duped.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
January 24, 2013, 03:15 PM
Just picked up 4 Hk AR mags.. Gave pre panic retail to a local guy for them...

johnwilliamson062
January 24, 2013, 11:29 PM
I basically no longer own guns(at least it seems that way). I couldn't pass up NIB wilson combat prices for used entry level gear.

I kept my Glock and K31 and a few far from tactical guns. If I need I can get the rest with those.

Ignition Override
January 25, 2013, 12:34 AM
200 rds. of .303 'British' ammo. For novices, this is for obsolete WW2 bolt-action rifles, but still used in 'Oz', NZ, SA, Canada, Afghanistan, India etc.

The reason for the purchase: about three weeks ago Palmetto still had it at Pre-panic prices. 'Ammoseek' indicated that all other .303 sellers charged an extra .15/rd. or much more, and Palmetto was Not listed.
AR people who did Not plan ahead have no, or little .223 etc ammo. Many are now shooting obsolete rifles or .22LR etc.
It looked as if they had not processed the order. The ammo did not arrive for about two weeks after the on-line order.

Ignition Override
January 25, 2013, 12:37 AM
200 rds. of .303 'British' ammo. For novices, this is for obsolete WW2 bolt-action rifles, but still used in 'Oz', NZ, SA, Canada, Afghanistan, India etc.

The reason for the purchase: about three weeks ago Palmetto State still had it at Pre-panic prices. 'Ammoseek' indicated that all other .303 sellers charged an extra .15/rd. or much more, and Palmetto was Not listed.

It seemed as if Palmetto State had not processed the order. The ammo did not arrive for about two weeks after the on-line order.

MOshooter65202
January 25, 2013, 11:40 AM
No I haven't bought anything during this past buying frenzy,I'm still in good shape and stocked.

spyderdude
January 25, 2013, 08:38 PM
Lucky for me most of my personal buying frenzy was done before this bigger frenzy. I saw this coming way in advance and prepared accordingly so I feel pretty good right now! :)