PDA

View Full Version : SASS approved loads?

ZVP
January 7, 2013, 12:43 PM
I'm still chasing an answer to this one? Where can you get the load spec's for the CAS .38 Specials?
I just bought some gunshow reloads that are really light. So light that I have dedicated them for use in my Cobra Derringer low recoil 1558 gr lead bullet loads.

I have a box of Winchester Factory CAS bullets that has Winchester Spec's of 250FT/LBS of energy (pretty healthy!!) With such impressive spec's I thought about shooting them in my 2" Chief's Special!
I know that the rule asks for low velocity loads so's to not damage Steel Targets and I totally agree. But I also want to shoot real man Loads and not some pipsqueak ('cept in the Derringer) in order to make shooting old west style realistic!
Maybe they left the actual required FT/LBS wide open to allow for the top speed compeditors who'd use just a primer if they could to get recoil down?
ZVP

Fingers McGee
January 7, 2013, 12:59 PM
SASS Shooters handbook, Page 11

The minimum standard for center-fire ammunition used in all smokeless categories in all SASS matches State, Regional, National, International, and World Championship Competitions is not less than a minimum power factor of 60 and no velocity may be less than 400 fps. The maximum velocity standard for revolvers is 1000 fps. The maximum velocity standard for rifles is 1400 fps. Pocket pistols, derringers, and long-range rifles are exempt from the power factor and velocity requirements.
Power factors are simply calculated by multiplying the bullet weight times the velocity and then the resulting number is divided by 1000. Some examples are as follows:
100 gr bullet traveling at 600 fps has a power factor of 60: (100x600)/1000=60.00
77 gr bullet traveling at 800 fps has a power factor of 61.6 (77x800)/1000=61.60
200 gr bullet traveling at 400 fps has a power factor of 80 (200x400)/1000=80.00

Magnum Wheel Man
January 8, 2013, 08:59 AM
Honestly... I just pick a middle range load from the book ( I shoot Trailboss ) but whatever you shoot, a mid range load gives me something that isn't popgun, & isn't "blasting"...

BTW... the last year I shot, I used 45 Colt in revolvers, & 38 Special in my lever gun with 138 grain trunc cone lead bullets... sorry, don't remember how many grains of Trailboss off the top of my head, but the load shot to point of aim in my lever, without adjustment at cowboy target distances