PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Service Six

PreserveFreedom
December 23, 2000, 10:06 PM
I saw one of these at my local FFL today. It was stainless with a 4" barrel. The light trigger pull was amazing. The sights were so much like that of a Vaquero. If only cash wasn't tight. Did they ever come with longer or shorter barrels? That was the only flaw I could find. Personally, I prefer either a snubbie, or an 8"+ barrel.

Bob C
December 23, 2000, 10:18 PM
The most common barrel length on the Service Six was 4". A very similar gun only with a round butt which usually came with a 2 3/4" barrel was the Speed Six.

As I recall, both models were cataloged in both barrel lengths.

The Security Six, which was the same basic gun, had the square butt of the Service Six and adjustable sights, was available in both the above barrel lengths, and also in 6".

I regret the passing of these fine revolvers.

Zander
December 24, 2000, 01:48 AM
"A very similar gun only with a round butt which usually came with a 2 3/4" barrel was the Speed Six."

I acquired one earlier this year [2 7/8" was the official length, it seems] and it is one sweet wheel gun...an excellent trigger and built like the usual Ruger: a bank vault.

One of the nicer styled Rugers, too, in my opinion.

ellsworthtoohey
December 24, 2000, 07:31 AM
It's a great gun. I think it was a mistake to ever stop producing it.

riddleofsteel
December 24, 2000, 10:27 AM
these two fine pistols were the parents of the SP and GP series of ruger firearms. if you closely inspect them side by side you can see the family resemblence. lay down an SP, GP and for that matter a Redhawk and compare it to the Service and Speed Six and you see that these two fine guns are still with us, just in updated forms. the main difference is the of course the spike grips of the SP, GP versions and the S&W "triple lock" like lockups.
i feel that the GP and SP lines were fitting replacements for the Service and Speed series. having said that i own both a Speed Six stainless and a 4" Service Six stainless that will never leave my collection. in fact a Speed Six with Eagle rosewood Secret Service grips, loaded with 180 grain hard cast SWC's is my CCW gun in the woods, parks and hiking trails where i am not supposed to have a weapon.

4V50 Gary
December 24, 2000, 11:13 AM
The Security Six, Speed Six and Service Six are all variations of the same gun which my instructor called the Suck Six. Despite his opinion, I cheerfully carried one for years prior to switching to a pistol (hey, I like the .45 ACP).

Ruger is not one to rest upon his laurels and having produced the Redhawk, decided it was time to reengineer the DA revolvers. Besides the obvious difference in the ejector rod and lockup, the internal lockwork has been changed and reflects advances in engineering. Overall, while the old DA revolvers are great, the successor series are equally admirable and lose nothing in terms of durability or reliability.

Melvin
December 25, 2000, 12:38 AM
I can only agree wholeheartedly with those posting on their fondness of the "Six's" series of Rugers,tough,accurate,and to my eye,a very pleasing gun. As an aside Ruger did make some for various government agencies, such as postal inspectors,with a full 3" bbl. Also saw one at a gun show that was marked "USN" and it was in a regular Ruger box,except the box was red and grey instead of black and yellow. Melvin

rellik74
December 26, 2000, 05:38 PM
I have a Security Six in 4 and 6 in. and from aside of installing a bulls eye spring kit they are both fine revolvers.
Security Six's came with heavy barrel, adjustable sights and red inserts.
For there price new the were a very good value and I keep my eye out for them on the used market but they dont seem to be sold very often.

9mmepiphany
December 27, 2000, 12:41 PM
i really like the speed/service six family because i thought of them as the strongest guns in their size class. i understand that the change to the gp-100 was in answer to the use of magnums, by LEO, for qualification. i had also heard that ruger, the company, was actually losing money on each one they sold.

rellik74 - how much are they selling for on the used market

mikey357
December 27, 2000, 07:50 PM
The Ruger "Six" series were excellent revolvers...undoubtedly stonger than the "K"-frame S&W's, and very "tunable", trigger-wise. I've got kind of an oddity-actually, a PAIR of oddities-in the gunsafe. A CONSECUTIVELY serial-numbered PAIR of Ruger Speed-Sixes...stainless-steel, .38 special, DAO w/bobbed, "spurless" hammer and with THREE-INCH barrels...that's right, three-inch, NOT the usual two-and-three-quarters. The story is that they were part of a contract over-run...guns made for the NYPD, just before the GP-100 was introduced.The guns are "catalog numbered" GS-83...and the instruction manual included with each gun warns about them being DAO. Anyone care to hazard a guess what the pair might be worth...as they ARE consecutively serial-numbered AND NIB???...Thanks...mikey357

Greg L
December 27, 2000, 09:56 PM
A recent Shotgun News has SOG advertising the 4" for $195 ea. or $185 for 2 or more.

Greg

AIMHIGH
January 31, 2001, 01:58 PM
MIKEY357: I also have a very late(End of Model Run) RUGER SPEED-SIX(.357)that also has a three inch(Heavy Barrel)and, is exactly the same as the Postal Service Speed Sixe's-except, without any Postal Marking's. It came with standard wood grips, standard Ruger Manual(NIB-"Unfired")!

Although, it's exactly the same gun, it is marked as a model GS-33. It was shipped, in December of 1988, from Ruger. The serial number(My Gun)was much higher than was listed(In the book; "Ruger & His Guns)so, I wrote to Ruger; They told me that my gun(In Fact)was one of the last couple hundred speed sixe's that were produced, at the very end of Speed Six production(Serial Number: 162-547XX)!

QUESTION'S: E-Mail: Mikal at: [email protected]

mikey357
February 2, 2001, 05:39 PM
AIMHIGH-my "Speed Sixes" have a serial # of 162-425xx and 162-425xx(+1)...seems that they would have been somewhat earlier than yours. I'm curious...is your "Speed Six" DAO or is it conventional DA/SA? I wonder who I could consult to find out if the consecutively-serial-numbered pair has any added value?....mikey357

riddleofsteel
February 2, 2001, 07:54 PM
I recently bought a "new in the box" Speed Six as part of an estate liquidation. It was in the original box and had the owners manual and the original anti-rust paper. I do not think it was ever even fired except at the factory. I paid $250.00. It is a pretty standard revolver from that period. The fact that yours is a DAO and has a bobbed hammer, different barrel and has a twin with the next serial number would only be of interest to a collector. Unless there is some historical connection to something really interesting i doubt they are worth much more than any DAO bobbed hammer stainless modern revolver today. wiyh the advent of titanium and other wonder light metals they might not even be that sellable except to us "old timers."
On the other hand, you have a really cool set of matched .357's of superior strength and accuracy. I would probably get a Galco Jackass shoulder rig with one holster on each side and carry them both, JUST FOR STYLE. Oh yeah, i put a rosewood Secret Service grip on mine. Looks and feels great. enjoy your fine set of revolvers i am a little envious.

AIMHIGH
February 3, 2001, 03:17 AM
MIKEY357:

First, my GS-33 Speed-Six is a normal DA/SA gun; Rather than a DAO, like your GS-83.

Second, I have good news for you! According to the information I've obtained, from THE RED EAGLE NEWS EXCHANGE INC.(A RUGER COLLECTOR ORGANIZATION, Address: 1945 Clover Ave., Perry, Iowa 50220); SOURCE: Their "Reference of Ruger Firearms, Volumn 2"; It states that the GS-83 DAO(With bobbed hammer), only one such gun, is known to exist(Ser # 162-42522)and, is extremely rare! It furthur states that the GS-83 Serial Number range=162-34526 to 162-34599. I recommend, that you contact them; Because, they can probably give you an idea of your gun(s) value-Also; They like to get information, from people who own rare Ruger guns(So they can keep a record on them(For Collector's))! That's how I found out, that I also owned an extremely rare Ruger Old Model Security-Six(Rare; Because it was produced in 38 Special-Instead, of in 357 Magnum)Model RDA-84! I wrote to them, and they also said that only one gun(Aside from my gun)was known to exist, in the USA! My rare gun, is also NIB(Unfired)!

Lastly; Yes, any consecutively numbered guns will always bring a little more(Again, ask RED EAGLE)! EXAMPLE: A few years ago, I purchased two consecutively numbered(Heavy Barreled)Stainless four inch, Ruger Security-Sixe's, from a deceased(Estate Collection)gun collector's Estate Representative, and, I had to pay about $ 25.00 more(Per Gun)!

So, if you contact RED EAGLE, you'll find out also, if any more guns(Like yours) have been discovered-and, they will appreciate finding out any rare guns found=In a different Serial Number range(Than they currently, have on record: As I've noted above)! If the Organization, is still operating, you'll be glad that you contacted them, as they were very helpful, and went out of their way, to give me the facts! This all occured about two years ago!

Nice to have communicated with you(Mikey357), and, I hope my information given, has helped you!

riddleofsteel
February 3, 2001, 09:12 AM
WOW I STAND CORRECTED!!! GO MIKEY

Skip-2
February 5, 2001, 03:35 AM
Years ago I was issued with a Ruger .357 Revolver with, 4' bbl, fixed sights and sqr butt. On the frame it said "Security Six". Through the years I have seen a number of "Police Service Six" revolvers chambered in 38 Spcl.
At present I have a S/S, 2.75" bbl revolver chambered in 357 Mag, and sqr butt. It's marked "Police Service Six".

AIMHIGH
February 5, 2001, 04:44 AM
Skip-2:

Actually, the Security -Six, that you were issued years ago(Fixed Sites)was truly one of the earliest Model's of the Security-Six! Ruger, initially offered(Early-on)the Security-Six, in both fixed site and adjustable site version's! However, since Ruger was so intent upon penetrating the "Police" market; Ruger, shortly after introducing the Security-Six, changed the name of the "Fixed Site" version(Of the Security-Six)to "Police Service-Six)to assist the Company, in their "Police" Marketing effort's! If you owned that gun today, it would have "Collector" value, due to being marked "Security-Six"(While, having "Fixed Sites", instead of "Adjustable Sites")!

There has also been some confusion(Over the years)RE: Caliber of the Security-Six! Ruger, originally cataloged these gun's in both .38 Special and .357 Magnum-but, not many of these early gun's were actually produced in .38 Special! Some of the confusion, came about, because Ruger made so many "Police Service Sixe's", in both caliber's! The Model SDA-84, was the "Blued" "Police Service Six" in .38 Special caliber! However, the "Security-Six" was never produced in .38 Special(In normal production)! This caliber, was only produced(By Special Order-Usually Exported for Police or Military requirement's)! The reason this was done, was because some Countrie's didn't want the standard "Police Service Six"(Already available in .38 Special)so, they had to "Special Order" the "Adjustable Sited" Security-Six(In .38 Special)because it was only offered(In normal Production)in .357 Magnum!

Although, Ruger won't release figures, on the actual production number's of these "Exported" "Special Order"(.38 Special Caliber)Security-Sixe's, I have "Documentation" that there is only two "known" guns, to currently exist, in the USA(Probably, just a few "over-run's", of those "Exported Guns")! I'm lucky, to have one, of those two "Documented" "Early Model"(Sloped Frame)Security-Sixe's(Adjustable Sites)a Model RDA-84("Blued")in .38 Special Caliber!

Sincerely;

AIMHIGH

mikey357
February 5, 2001, 01:05 PM
AIMHIGH--Thanks much for the info!!! Knew if I held on to 'em long enough SOMEONE would know what they were/what they're worth...guess I need to contact "Red Eagle News Exchange" and the RCA to get the most current info...Thanks Again!!! If I find out anything interesting, I'll post it back here....mikey357

makarov
February 8, 2001, 12:48 AM
I have an early production Security Six 4" barrel .357 - I would like to get larger grips for it, but since the serial # is 150-XXXX instead of 151-XXXXX it appears hard to find grips for it. Apparently there was a slight change made to the shape of the grip frame? Anyone know where I can get full sized grips for this gun. It is a great shooter with a really smooooth trigger. The bluing is worn, but I don't care, it would make an excellent trail gun.

MellowMikey
February 11, 2001, 02:48 PM
I just put a 2.75 stainless service-six .357 on layaway.
In perfect shape and only $249.
My first gun was a blue security-six with a 4" tube, but I sold it to pay the rent. Now I get to adopt it's stainless brother. :D

Mikey

Skip-2
February 11, 2001, 06:00 PM
makarov,
The old Security Six I had, was also the old grip frame. We found that Pachmayr Presentation Grips made for the later models fitted OK. I suspect any "rubber" grip with a covered back strap will fit.

AIMHIGH
February 12, 2001, 03:15 AM
Skip-2;

I sure would like to know, how you managed to get the newer model Ruger Security-Six, Pachmayr Rubber Grips, to fit the Older Model Security-Six Grip Frame: Especially, since the Grip Frame, is not only somewhat of a different shape-but, mostly, because the bottom(Widest Part)of the Old Model Grip Frame, is considerably wider(Maybe 3/16")? This would result in the Old Model's Grip Frame, being unable to fit the smaller cutout, in the later gun's Pachmayr Rubber Grips, design!

No pun intended here-just curious, how you did it?

Sincerely;

AIMHIGH

Skip-2
February 12, 2001, 08:28 PM
I didn't fit it myself, it was a company gun. A number of times that I took it appart I noticed that the grip was made for a much deeper back strap than this gun had.

Also some years later I fitted the some model Pachmayr grip (it was marked Sec-Six) to a S&W N frame . The hill of the frame was a little larger than the grip, but it fitted OK (you could see a bump appearing on the grip - no big deal).

AIMHIGH
February 12, 2001, 10:50 PM
SKIP-2:

Thanks for your explanation RE; Fitting later Model Ruger Security-Six Grips, to the Older Model, of this same gun(Which has a larger Grip Frame Size, and Shape)!

Actually, I had the same idea, to try and fit the newer Model's Pachmayr Rubber Grip, to my Old Model Security-Six-However, I never found one of those Grips, to try! However, I did measure both the Old and New Model's Grip Frames; And, it became obvious to me, that if the Rubber Grip(s)in question(To be Modified); Pachmayr or otherwise, the rubber was either too hard, or else not enough material available to be cut away(To possibly re-shape) then, it probably wouldn't be feasible, to try to make them fit!

In any event, I was still enthused, by what you said(About fitting the Grips, to the Old Model)because, I thought that if true, then, this would really be an answer, for those of us, who have tried(Without results)to locate the proper fitting Old Model Grips, which are so difficult to find, anymore! I only recently, had the idea to do this-however, I was reluctant, because my Security-Six, is so rare(Made in .38 Special, with Adjustable Sites)that, I wasn't sure if I would really ever shoot it, or not!

Sincerely;

AIMHIGH