PDA

View Full Version : DPMS 308?

Dashunde
December 24, 2012, 08:25 PM
I there any reason I shouldnt buy a DPMS .308?

I havent settled on a specific model yet, but it will most likely be a flat top light hunter variety.
Ideally I'd like to buy a Compact Hunter (http://www.dpmsinc.com/COMPACT-HUNTER_ep_151-1.html) if I can get it.
(Or whatever I can get my hands on lately :rolleyes: )

Can the front iron sight be removed?
I found a nice used one I might buy, but its not built exactly like I want it.

Txhillbilly
December 24, 2012, 08:43 PM
Good luck finding one for a decent price.

I bought a DPMS LR-260H last month.It shoots pretty good,I just wanted something for a night time hog/varmint gun.I'll be putting a digital night vision scope on it,along with a suppressor.That's why I bought this model,it's lighter than the bull barrel model,and the barrel is already threaded.
I paid just over $1k for this one brand new.
The factory trigger wasn't very good,so I had it reworked to a 3lb unit,and I had to cut 3 coils off the buffer spring in order for the weapon to cycle properly,and not jam.The buffer spring was too stiff,and the bolt would short cycle.
Other than those little problems,the gun is great.

http://i999.photobucket.com/albums/af113/1Txhillbilly/DPMS%20AR10%20260%20Remington/006-1.jpg

globemaster3
December 25, 2012, 05:41 PM
I'm shooting an LR308B (18" bull barrel, free float tube, railed gas block). I've had a great time shooting it, have taken 3 deer with it, but with the weight, it would not be my first choice for long range stalking or hiking. In the stands or condos I've used, weight hasn't been an issue.

It's topped with a Nikon Buckmaster 3-9X40 BDC. I've really enjoyed shooting it while using the SpotOn software.

I replaced the stock trigger with a RRA 2 stage. MUCH better IMHO.

Shooting Hornady .308 150 grain interlocks, I get about an inch at 100 yards. It could do better, but the trigger actuator has some limitations.

lmccrock
December 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
The only problem I had with my LR308 was the trigger. The stock version was horrible; long and crunchy is the best description. Either buy it with a trigger upgrade or expect to change it out.

geetarman
December 26, 2012, 12:15 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ What he said.

The stock trigger on mine was like dragging a shovel through a box of rocks.

I took it out and replaced it with a Timney.

loose_holster_dan
December 26, 2012, 01:08 PM
yep. just trigger. love my RRA LAR-8. great trigger out of the box.

Alabama Shooter
December 26, 2012, 10:41 PM
They seem a great gun for the pre-hysteria prices.

I went with a shorter barrel to cut down on weight; it is still heavy but lighter and more maneuverable. The rifle is very accurate and reliable. I have read accounts of complaints but have none since I bought the gun five years and five thousand rounds+ ago.

tobnpr
December 27, 2012, 11:13 PM
Good guns for a grand...
Just wait for the hysteria to subside (and it will), and then you can take one off someone's hands for $750 after they paid two grand for it in panic mode...:rolleyes:

Dashunde
December 28, 2012, 05:58 PM
^ Yea, thats kinda what I'm thinking... Patience will probably pay off.
Either that or I'll just go with a $600 Remington 750 Woodsmaster?
I doubt I'll be shooting it enough to produce any real wear, its less than half the price, and it'll skid right past my wife and anyone else who has suddenly become aware of the differences between wood stocked hunting rifles and those evil AR platforms that nobody needs or should have. :rolleyes:

Perhaps buying one in woodsy camo will validate a AR as a hunting rifle? :p

Alabama Shooter
December 28, 2012, 06:57 PM
Either that or I'll just go with a $600 Remington 750 Woodsmaster?

Their is really not much comparison there the Woodmaster suffers badly. It is lighter though.

Mezzanine
December 28, 2012, 08:56 PM
I have the DPMS LR6.5, same as the LR308 essentially. I really like it, only 2 complaints which ill come back to. Its a very accurate no frills rifle. Very heavy, over 13lbs with a full mag + the scope. I coyote hunt with it, despite the weight, until the snow is too deep for my bipod that is. Complaints in the trigger and had short stroking until i trimmed the buffer spring a bit. I think the LR6.5 and LR260 are more prone to short strokes from the factory because as far as im aware its the exact same lower as the LR308 which was designed for a .308 not the smaller 260 and Creedmoor. The trigger i would say is not up to par with the other aspects of the rifle but i got use to it.

Alabama Shooter
December 28, 2012, 09:47 PM
Just saw one go on gun broker for $3000. :eek:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=323391980

globemaster3
December 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
:eek:
That would be more than $2000 over what I paid for mine!

Alabama Shooter
December 29, 2012, 11:10 AM
Now there is one on there with a "buy it now" price of $3500. That is more than 3X retail. The temptation to sell mine today and buy a new one in a few months after the price crashes is really hitting me hard. I wonder if the panic will be over by fall deer season?

Dashunde
December 29, 2012, 11:23 AM
There's not a doubt in my mind, if I had an AR already it would be up for sale at these absurd prices.

Being a potential buyer nowadays I encourage all of you to put yours up for sale ;)

Eppie
December 29, 2012, 11:45 AM
Boy, at these prices I'm thinking about putting my POF for sale.

Let's see what is a reasonable price, maybe $12,000.00. :D

Northslope Nimrod
December 30, 2012, 09:09 PM
I have the AP4 with shorter barrel. Has worked great. I have bagged four elk with it. I have had issues feeding round nosed ammunition, however.
I paid $800 for mine just a few years ago. It was a great deal then and a steal today. Trigger is a bit heavy for a hunting rifle.

gunfighter48
January 1, 2013, 05:33 PM
I bought a LR 308 Oracle in August and love it. With a Vortex 5-15X44 scope it weighs in a 12.5 lbs. But mine is a bench rifle only, won't be hunting with it or going to war with it!!!!!! It's very accurate with factory ammo, does 3-4 shot groups into .625" - 6.55" at 100 yards with 168gr AMAX and 168gr TAP FPD ammo. It's quite capable of putting more rounds into those size groups, but not with me pulling the trigger. At 64 years old I'm not the shot that I was 10 years ago.:)

I have done a lot of cosmetic changes but the only change to the receiver was to change out the trigger for a Timney 4 lb trigger. Now it's a sweet shooting rifle.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e11/gunfighter48/CompletedLR308.jpg