PDA

View Full Version : p226 trigger polish

nadrepadre
December 19, 2012, 09:55 PM
I just picked up an older sig 226 made in 87'. Its a used police trade in. Even though I'm sure its had plenty of rounds through it, the DA pull still feels gritty. If I apply smooth pressure to the trigger I can watch the hammer move in jerky motions before it fires. I have a gray guns spring kit on order but would like to smooth it up without paying somebody else $250 to buff up some steel and aluminum. I'd rather not have to go through the motions of trial and error of polishing everything and exposing bare metal to the elements. Which specific points should be worked over?

BTW, the inside of the frame is absolutely spotless with a couple drops of oil on the trigger bar and trigger pin assembly

thedudeabides
December 20, 2012, 06:28 AM
I'd get Grayguns to do it. Sig's "custom shop" service sucks.

Destructo6
December 20, 2012, 09:57 AM
Buy a Wolff 16 lb hammer spring along with a new style spring seat and hammer strut.

This will clean up the DA pull like crazy.

Add the Short Reset Trigger and you will have a night and day difference in that trigger.

BigJimP
December 20, 2012, 03:16 PM
Often, its about cleaning the hammer strut and the hammer strut spring - and greasing the strut, the frame where it rides - and the hammer strut spring properly .../ and I would do that ...and see what you think first.

2nd option - change the spring...
------------
You said the frame is clean ....but if you haven't stripped the gun down to a bare frame...I'd certainly do that as well....and clean and lube everything - especially if its a used gun. It may not have ever been done ??
------------

I wouldn't polish anything --- unless you've done a lot of trigger jobs.../ leave it to the pros.

bamaranger
December 20, 2012, 07:44 PM
Big JimP on target.

Get a detail strip, clean and lube done.