PDA

View Full Version : Now everyone can be a sniper?

Keepin_Jeepin
December 13, 2012, 01:25 PM
Thoughts on this product?

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/now-everyone-can-be-a-sniper-if-this-works.htm

My thoughts are that its strange you have to find the target twice. Why instead of tagging it the first time don't you just pull the trigger? Unless the scope accounts of distance/temp/windage/etc on the spot so its a perfect shot the next time you actually pull the trigger?

Old Grump
December 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
You won't be able to take full advantage of this unless you are already an excellent shot. It won't make a sniper out of you if you are just a run of the mill plinker.

RedBowTies88
December 13, 2012, 01:29 PM
I don't see how this is going to take windage into account.

Keepin_Jeepin
December 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
me either

nicknitro71
December 13, 2012, 04:27 PM
Wind, humidity, different powder, bullets, gyroscopic drift, Magnus, Coriolis, Poisson, Eotvos effects, and field elevation accounting for different gravity. I'll be damn if this system accounts for all of the above!

tAKticool
December 13, 2012, 04:34 PM
My idea of a Firing Solution is Nikon Monarch BDC scope with their SpotOn program, get the BDC info for te round, then just match up BDC info your target, zoom and boom.
im a sniper too

wvscotsman
December 13, 2012, 04:38 PM
Seems too good to be true to me. Plus, can you imagine what a system like that is going to cost?

Part of the allure of making long range shots is doing the work yourself. I dont want a machine doing most of the work for me.

Jimro
December 13, 2012, 11:09 PM
There is more to sniping than long range shooting. The disciplines cross over, but not as much as most people think.

It is an interesting bit of technology, don't see how it will work any better than Burris's laser rangefinder ballistic drop scope.

I don't see it becoming widely used in the military. A 1200 yard shot with a 338 Lapua is child's play, even with a conventional optic. SOCOM was looking for 1500 meters interim capability in their last industry bid, with a 2000 meter objective capability.

Jimro

Old Grump
December 14, 2012, 01:06 PM
Helps with ranging and angle of elevation but you still have to be an expert to take advantage. If you are not a good trigger man it's just an expensive hunk of hardware.

4runnerman
December 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
Cool set up though

Mobuck
December 14, 2012, 10:48 PM
Let me tell you something here. With all the technology available, there's still the requirement to be able to shoot well.
Laser range finders and BDC scopes are wonderful but it's the wind that is the booger. No problem at all to get the range and bullet drop is a known factor. Wind is ALWAYS a variable.
Another thing. There's a big difference between a "long range shooter" and a sniper. Regardless of the coolness factor, the word "sniper" has some sinister connotations that can only be fully understood by being behind the gun. You can pretend as you like but it's not fun when it's real.

johnwilliamson062
December 14, 2012, 11:37 PM
I realy don't think this product is for ranges where windage comes into effect.

Soldiers aren't hitting people at 200 yards with 223. Wind isn't the cause.

You don't have to hold on target
You don't need a clean trigger pull as you aren't pulling the trigger when the gun fires.
You pretty much can't flinch.

All you have to do is let the reticle bounce around almost on the target for a second and when you get it lined up it shoots. You can tag as many times as you want without the target having a clue.

This is way beyond the scopes who adjust the reticle even if it doesn't track a moving target, and I am still not convinced it does not. Function may not work well and may not be there at all, but I haven't seen proof either way.