PDA

View Full Version : Krieghoff inserts

Maxb49
December 9, 2012, 03:59 PM
Just got off the phone with a friend from Germany. He told me that Krieghoff made inserts for SxS and O/U guns to shoot rifle ammunition in calipers such as 9.3 x 74. Has anyone seen these or know how they work?

PetahW
December 11, 2012, 10:57 AM
They're a rifle barrel, with an OD/fitting that fits a particular shotgun gauge, locating itself centrally in the smoothbore barrel, internally chambered, bored & rifled for whatever metallic cartridge.

The insert has an extractor that aligns & piggybacks on the shotgun's extractor/ejector, following whatever it does.

They are strong enough, on their own, to contain the pressures of the metallic cartridges Krieghoff offers, letting the shotgun barrel(s) serve only as a carrier(s).

Of course, it's up to the shotgun owner to devise some sort of sighting method.................

They additionally operate very effectively on a buyer's wallet...........:p

zippy13
December 11, 2012, 01:01 PM
Of course, it's up to the shotgun owner to devise some sort of sighting method...
And there's the rub.

Jim Watson
December 11, 2012, 03:14 PM
I never saw a Krieghoff insert for a major big centerfire caliber like 9.3.

What I have seen from Krieghoff is a smallbore insert in .22 LR, .22 WMR, or .22 Hornet made to go in one shot barrel of a drilling. They have adjustment screws so you can set them to shoot to the sights of the main rifle barrel in the drilling. The rimfires are offset for the regular firing pin, the Hornet is centered up.

Here is one of the type:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=319941590

I'd be interested to know about something higher powered. A 9.3x74 is a lot of load to put on a plain shotgun action meant for about 1/4 the pressure.

ETA: I looked on the Kreighoff site and found mention of the KS full length insert in calibers up to 9.3 all right. But it says:
"NOTE: KS Insert Barrels are available from Krieghoff Intl only factory fit to new Optima Drillings."
The drilling is built strong enough for rifle loads so a full power insert is feasible.

The old style smallbore inserts were only 12-16" long, good enough for the small game application.

Maxb49
December 11, 2012, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys.

Looks like a Krieghoff drilling is next on my list!

PetahW
December 12, 2012, 01:37 PM
What the heck - it's the Holidays, and EVERYBODY owes themselves a present ! . :p . :p . :p