PDA

View Full Version : Midwest Industries Gen2 SS Free Float AR Handguard Review

Mrgunsngear
December 3, 2012, 05:43 PM
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Picture3-1.png

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l178/tiffani33/Guns/IMG_1287.jpg

I've had the Midwest Industries Gen2 SS series handguard on my AR for about 6 months so far and figured I'd do a product review since there seems to be a lot of questions out there about these rails.

Pros:
-Lightweight (7''-7.1oz, 9''-8.3oz, 10''-8.6oz, 12''-9.3oz, 15''-10.9oz)
-Made of 6061 anodized aluminum. The anodizing is holding up well so far.
-Made in the USA.
-The narrow profile helps you really "grab on" to the handguard and stabilize the rifle.
-Comes with 3 2.5'' rail sections for mounting whatever toys you have in mind. One of the rails has an anti-rotation QD socket for sling mounting. There's also a bipod stud that comes with the rail.
-Comes in OD green, FDE, and black.
-A barrel wrench is included (not the best but it is functional).
-The slots in the rail allow for good barrel cooling. The holes just below the rail also help the gas tube cool.
-The anti-rotational system works as advertised (better explanation/visualization in the video).
-The rail sections are contoured to the shape of the rail and mount flush so there's less chance of snagging.

Cons:
-The barrel nut has to be replaced. I don't think it's a big deal but it's just an extra step vs some competitors out there.

Here's the video review with a little shooting and a discussion/demonstration of the rails' properties:

MI Gen2 SS Series Rail HD Video Review Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6EVazuy6tU&feature=g-upl)

BillyJack3
December 3, 2012, 05:55 PM
Very nice. I recently went with the Samson Evolution 12.37". It was nice to use the stock barrel nut and went on very easily. It weighs a couple more ounces than the MI and after seeing your review, I can see why. Looks like MI did a great job cutting material where they could without jeopardizing strength and fit. Looks like a great rail.

Mrgunsngear
December 4, 2012, 09:28 AM
Sampson makes some nice rails as well; they tend to go for a little more money than their MI counterparts though. Pros and cons....

Achilles11B
December 4, 2012, 01:53 PM
Great review. I have one on my SPR-esque AR build, love it. It's light, you have rails only where you need it, and no problems with rotation at all. I'd recommend it to anyone.

RampantAndroid
December 5, 2012, 07:41 PM
Can you compare to the Troy TRX Alpha system? I've got one on my AR and love it, esp since you can buy Troy's squid rubber grommets to make a good grip without a forward vertical grip.

Mrgunsngear
December 5, 2012, 08:25 PM
The Troy rail's a good system and I'd have no issue putting one on one of my rifles (my buddy has one I use anyway :D ). The mounting systems are different; I'm not sure one is superior vs. the other. The MI rail does seem to dissipate heat better though. I'd get whichever is cheaper....

Justice06RR
December 6, 2012, 11:27 PM
Its a sweet rail for sure. I had the 12-inch rail on my 300Blackout AR. Very slim and lightweight. I think it looks better than the Troy (just my opinion) after handling both.