PDA

View Full Version : SCCY CPX-2

meanmachine1961
December 1, 2012, 01:37 PM
I saw one at my favorite LGS the other day and kinda liked it. Thought for the money it would be hard to go wrong. After viewing some videos on YouTube and visiting their website, I still am not sure how to tell if the gun I looked at is a 2nd gen. For those who might enlighten me, I would be ever so appreciative.

At first I thought the -2 meant 2nd gen. but after further research I am led to believe that -1 means manual safety and -2 is no manual safety and they made both in each generation. I also heard at first that the 2nd gen come in black boxes and the 1st gen come in red boxes but the videos on youtube seem to contradict that. When you go on SCCY's website it shows a pistol with 2nd generation stamped into the slide but none of the YouTube videos have any such markings on 2nd gen pistols.

I am interested in the gun but find it kinda confusing. If I purchase one, I want the upgraded 2nd generation pistol.

wbw
December 1, 2012, 04:32 PM
Maybe you could contact SCCY and they could tell you what serial number the 2nd generation started with. Then you could discern by serial number whether you're looking at a 2nd gen or not.

Falcon642
December 1, 2012, 08:35 PM
you can identify the first-generation pistols by their serrated grip texture

A good write up on the SCCY.

http://www.guns.com/sccy-cpx-1-2-generation-2-bargain-hunting-10511.html

Here's a gunbroker listing for a first gen cpx so you can see what they are talking about.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=318797066#PIC

meanmachine1961
December 1, 2012, 11:37 PM
Thank you Falcon642. That is exactly the info that I was looking to find. I really appreciate it. The pistol that I saw was definetly a 2nd gen. If they still have it on Monday, I think that I will buy the little jewel.

reaganmarine84
December 19, 2012, 11:27 PM
I've had my CPX-2 for over a year and have put hundreds of rounds throught it, with absolutely no problems of any kind. The recoil spring is REALLY strong. Depressing the slide catch returns the slide back into battery rather violently. I have to really have a good grip on it or it will be jarred out of my hand. I like mine so much, when my ex-father-in-law was looking for a little something for home defense I got him to buy one too. I'm thinking about buying a CPX-1 GEN2 because I happen to like having an external safety and my CPX-2 doesn't have one. The only downside I noticed with mine and my ex, was that the supplied magazines have some sharp edges that need to be rounded off a little with a small file. That's it.

bitttorrrent
December 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
Your review of gen 2 sounds promising. I have held one at the store and I really like it.
Some on this forum have not been in favor of it but I think that was from problems with the gen1.

I am willing to give it a try as it is not that expensive of a gun and it seamed really solid to me - much better then my kel-tek pm9.

leadchucker
December 21, 2012, 11:52 AM
kel-tek pm9??

bitttorrrent
December 21, 2012, 09:23 PM
ok, Kel Tec PF-9 - you know what I mean.

Actually, that is one problem I have with the Kahr lineup which I had looked at in comparrison to the SCCY. There are just so many models. Why can't they make just a few. With all of those different lines there has bound to be some quality concerns.

But the point being, I believe the more solid feel and recoil absorbing handle would be better than the Kel Tec. But I do not know as I have never fired the SCCY.

Mason 727
January 6, 2013, 05:07 PM
I just got my CPX-2 yesterday. I was very pleased with the fit and finish compared to my PF9. The Keltec had rough edges and looked and felt very cheap. I picked up my SCCY for $219 before tax. I had heard there was problems with the mags loading...not here! I got 10 in each one no problem. Shot a box of ammo and had ZERO failures of any kind. The other thing that was heads and shoulders above the Keltec was the recoil. I was expecting the thing to try to jump out of my hand like my PF9 and there was hardly any muzzle flip and the recoil was nothing compared to the Keltec. I haven't shot thousands of rounds out of it yet but I would go with the SCCY any day of the week. It's my new carry.

Here are a few problems I had in the short time I've owned my PF9. I had shot less than 800 rounds through it:

1) Multiple failure to feed and eject. I would say one in every 12 rounds. My local dealer informed me to keep a tighter grip with my off hand to reduce muzzle flip to keep the action on the same plane, which has helped a bit but is no good if I need to use one hand or god forbid my weak hand in a self defense situation.

2) A bit of add on to the first but did I mention MUZZLE FLIP!!!! The thing was terrible. My wife shot one magazine through it and never touched it again. It was so violent that her off hand thumb was pushed into her dom hand thumb cutting her pretty badly with the nail.

3) Grip was too small. It was a bit better with the plus one grip, but even then was very thin. The SCCY is very "Beefy" feeling. And the finger grips are very comfortable in my hands (I wear a size large glove). I believe they also contribute to the very reduced muzzle flip.

4) Magazine catch failure. The magazine would fall out of the pistol when shooting. At first I though maybe the violent recoil was causing me to hit the mag release. Then when I would try to eject the magazine, I would have to pull it out, it wouldn't fall completely out of the mag well. Again, not good. The SCCY mag holds in very nicely and falls freely when the release is depressed every time.

5) The trigger felt terrible and got really tight at the end before releasing causing jerking. The SCCY is very constant (LONG but constant) and just feels much better.

5) The strike on the pin was very weak causing failure to ignite the primers of cheaper ammo or military ammo. Then the firing pin fell out of the POS at the firing range.

I took it back to Keltec (just down the street from me) and they rebuilt my whole gun and even put a new barrel in it, polished the feed ramp and smoothed out the trigger all for free and only in about an hour. The major problems that they found were the bolt holding my ejector came loose. It's also the detent for the firing pin which allowed it to fall out the back. (IMO I'm lucky it didn't get blasted through my head while firing). And the mag catch was prematurely worn out. They said they had never seen anything like this before... So, they get an A+ for customer service. The only product I would ever get from them would be the KSG or the RFB, both of which I have on my bucket list of guns.

But, that was the final straw for me. After getting all that work done on it and while it was still in perfect running condition I traded it for a Taurus 66 with a 6" barrell (which I love). To replace my "pocket pistol" I chose the SCCY CPX-2 and so far have no trouble. I did choose the option without the safety because I believe that a DAO with a long pull doesn't need another lever on the side to get in the way of a quick draw. I will report back in a few months to let you all know!

meanmachine1961
January 6, 2013, 10:41 PM
Just to update, I did buy the SCCY but have not had a chance to shoot it yet. I am very pleased with the fit and finish of this pistol. Seems to be a very well made piece. The one I got is the CPX-2 two-tone.

Mason 727
January 6, 2013, 10:54 PM
I wished they had that one in, but I had to get the black one for the price!

bonefamily
January 7, 2013, 08:34 AM
I am a PF-9 owner and have been thinking of something different but along the same lines of it and am glad I seen this thread. Looks like the SCCY is very similar.

I wish they offered a .380 as well as I have also been contimplating a P-3AT or LCP.