PDA

View Full Version : Which Makarov accessories?

alamo
December 20, 2000, 10:10 PM
After reading all the raves about the Makarov on the TFL recently,I went out and bought an E. German model, BW mark
- made in 1962. It appears to be in good condition. It came
with 2 magazines and a cheap shoulder holster.

I have been reading up about Maks at http://www.makarov.com and
have been checking out the many accessories. Wanted to
get some thoughts on the following:

1) Publications - the "Ultimate Makarov Guide" looks
pretty good. Any others?
2) Recoil spring - As long as I was going to place an
order, I thought I would get a Wolff #17 spring which is
supposed to be the original. The spring on it may be O.K,
but I thought I would replace it anyway.
3) Pearce grips - Mine came with what appears to be the
Bulgarian thumb rest grips but without the place to
attach a lanyard. Also came with what was probably the
original grip, kinda worn & no thumb rest. Would the
Pearce grip be any better than what I've got?
4) Loaders - are these really necessary? Are they that
hard to load?
5) East German Cleaning Kit - thought I'd get one of
these.
6) Cleaning rod with loop - good idea?
7) Magazines - thought I'd get 2 eight round E. Germans.

Anything else I should get?, any suggestions would be
appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Nazman
December 20, 2000, 10:47 PM
Alamo,

Yes, the loading device is a necessity. The mags are military, which means that the springs are really strong. The loading device, which costs $4, I think, is more than worth it when you're at the range and reload the mags a number of times. Get a couple, they're small!

I bought the Falco shoulder holster for my Mak. It's a great way to carry when you're in the car.

Other than that, I'd say go out and enjoy your Mak. The accessories you mentioned are just about it.

After you've had it some time, you'll know what accessories you need to add.

Nazman

Sierra
December 20, 2000, 11:39 PM
Your list is a little long. Any cleaning kit will do. The Pearce grips are fine for shooting but if you intend to carry the gun concealed learn how to shoot with the stock EG grips. Shoot 95 grain ammo, its easier on your hands. Get two or three magazine loaders because you will lose one for sure. Decent holsters are available from a variety of sources, mine is a Kramer but Karl at http://www.markarov.com has a good selection and he is top notch. Incidentally the 17 pound spring is stock, many use a 19 pounder. Make sure the stock spring is shot before you replace it. Oh yes, when you clean the Mak make sure when you replace the recoil spring that the small end goes on first or you will get some malfunctions.

The Mak is indestructible and the EG is the best of the lot.

Destructo6
December 21, 2000, 01:48 AM
The looped rod that was designed for the Makarov has a little tab that is used to remove the extractor, so that is probably a good reason to own one. I wouldn't use it to actually clean the barrel, though.

Just stock up on mags while they're plentiful and cheap.

I've only used my Mak mag loader a couple of times. I personally think they're a waste of time and money.

oweno
December 21, 2000, 08:10 AM
The magazine loader is the best 4 bucks I've ever spent on a gun purchase. I'd recommend that you buy one. My first trip to the range I sliced open my thumb on the lips of the magazine. The loader eliminates that problem and the resulting blood on the magazine which was ucky. (Really, I'm not kidding.)

Also, I found my issue Bulgarian grips to be a bit uncomfortable after some 50 rounds - actually, my hand hurt at the web. I bought the Mak-a-wrap grips and I like them. They don't fit the piece all that well but they're good and not expensive. I do, though, perfer the appearance of the Mak with issue grips.

And yep, pick up a few extra magazines.

Enjoy your Mak, they're good.

Owen

Hoppy
December 21, 2000, 09:27 AM
I enjoy my EG as is. I clean it with my regular kit, although the sound of an EG cleaning kit is interesting.
I wouldn't change the grips. I've read alot about how people hate the issue grips, I don't understand why, I think they're great. I don't have any trouble loading the mags, so I wouldn't get a loader. By the way, I've heard that the loader will actually deform the piece of metal that serves to hold the slide back after the last round, could be BS, but I've heard it. The only accessories I've bought for mine include: a case, a lock, a fobus paddle holser, and lots of ammo! These Maks are the best!
No matter what you add, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

hipwr40
December 21, 2000, 10:26 AM
Hoppy, how was the Fobus holster? I've got one for a BHP and love it, I've read that the Fobus stuff is kind of hit or miss as far as fit (mainly Glocks).

One accessory I got that wasn't mentioned was the mag floor plate extension with the finger rest for your little finger. It wasn't a whole lot of $$$$ and really helped since I have big hands.

jlflegal
December 21, 2000, 10:57 AM
I've had an E.G. for a year now and have fired almost 2,000 rounds thru it, here is what I've found:

Makarov.com will be one of your absolute best sources for parts, accessories, and knowledge (message board). Read, read, read, this website. Karl, the owner, is what you wish every businessman acts like; polite, punctual, and totally honest.

Get the Russian/English translation owner's manual, it has a white cover, gun shows always have them and so do Karl.

Try a 19# recoil spring, it softens the recoil it little, but don't expect much.

95gr green box LVE ammo is totally reliable, the least amount of kick, very accurate. Dan's Sporting Goods sells it for $5/box delivered, buy a case of 1,000 rounds for l00 bucks. The white box military ammo (sometimes labled Wolf)is some nasty hot stuff! I didn't like it. Red/white/blue box ammo is a little warmer than LVE. S&B is real pretty, shoots well, but isn't worth the money IMHO. I haven't shot anything but LVE for the last nine months or so, its really good stuff.

Pearce grips are too fat and chunky. I read all the raves about them and didn't like 'em at all. Makawraps are too ugly. Your stock issue black plastic grips are the best in looks and feel, especially for CCW. Those rubbery grips will surely drag on your clothing.

The mag loader? Yes, yes, yes! I can't imagine not having one. Sure you can push the cartridges down with your thumb but it hurts in short order and that slide stop tab WILL slice you a good one! I have four magazines and have loaded hundred of rounds in each of them and I can attest the loader will not damage the mag.

Cleaning kit? Good for orginality or nostalgia but really why else? I clean my Mak with .45 patches, brush, and pistol cleaning rod. Get a bulk package of q-tips, there are lots of tiny places that get crud in them. Use gun oil on the slide, I tried grease and found it instantly turned into a sticky mess that was a bear to clean.

Cleaning rod? I've got one, never used it. Its just kind of a neat piece to go along with your pistol.

Auctionarms.com is the best source I've found for deals on mags. Shotgun News is also good.

RON in PA
December 21, 2000, 11:53 AM
I like the Pierce grip, without it I would only shoot the MAK wearing gloves. Don't waste your money on the " Ultimate Guide", get the translation of the Soviet handbook.

Ammo wise the green and white LVE Russian is good as is the Russian Barnaul. Chinese Norenco is good but has disappeared due to Clinton.

alamo
December 21, 2000, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the tip Ron in PA. I guess the title
is better than what you actually get. The
translation from the original should be interesting.

I think I will scratch the E. German cleaning kit
and the Pearce grips from the list. I'm sure
Pearce grips are good but I don't have particularly
large hands so the 2 grips I have should suffice.

Hoppy
December 21, 2000, 04:09 PM
HiPwr40,

The fobus fit on the Mak is great. I ordered mine direct from Fobus. I originally ordered from makarov.com, but due to vacation, it wouldn't have been shipped for a month, and I couldn't wait.

I have a fobus for a j-frame, great fit there as well.

The only think I notice is that due to the Mak being heavy, the grip will lean away from my hip about 1/2 inch since I don't have a stiff belt. I'm thinking of taking two strips of foam weather stripping and sticking them to the inside of the holster near the muzzle so that it pushes away from my pants and keeps the grip in tight. I could get another belt, I guess, but that seems like more work. Great holster.

Badger Arms
December 21, 2000, 08:51 PM
The magazine loader is the best 4 bucks I've ever spent on a gun purchase. I'd recommend that you buy one. My first trip to the range I sliced open my thumb on the lips of the magazine. The loader eliminates that problem and the resulting blood on the magazine which was ucky. (Really, I'm not kidding.)

Hehehe. It's a true gun nut that worries about getting blood on his gun more than the injury that causes it. I worked sheet metal for 10 years and no project was complete without a few drops of O negative.

Advice on the Makarov. Mag Loader <<YES>>. Make sure you get the mags with the cutout on the bottom instead of the buldge so you can get that last round in with the loader. I'd NOT get the Pearce Grips for the reasons stated above.

Pussball
December 23, 2000, 01:01 AM
By all means, get the Mag Loader and spare magazines, but don't get EG magazines. You can only load 7 rounds in the EG's with the loader. The last round has to be loaded by hand. The Russian mags are slotted all the way down to the floorplate so that you can load all eight rounds with the loader.

Oleg Volk
December 23, 2000, 01:23 AM
I recently took off Pearce grips off my Mak. While they tame recoil well, they made the gun point low for me.

alamo
December 23, 2000, 09:11 AM
That's good info. to know about the e. german magazines - thanks. Can't wait to shoot it but looks like it will have to wait till after the holidays.

plateshooter
December 23, 2000, 10:27 AM
I'll second the good words for the Fobus holster.
I have the paddle version, and it works great for me.

CJO
December 23, 2000, 02:02 PM
Springbok.com...They also make a good Kydex IWB holster for Maks.....

denfoote
December 23, 2000, 02:55 PM
The Russian/ English translation of the Makarov manual is : "Makarov Pistol Operators Manual". Catachy title, huh.;) It is published by:
Firing Pin Enterprises
P.O.B. 80696
Phoenix, AZ 85060-0696
Fax # : 602-275-5954
Cost, at least a couple of years ago was $5.00.
It is indeed available at the gunshows. Assuming also that Gunshows still exist in your location.

alamo
December 23, 2000, 03:19 PM
I'm lucky, we have a gunshow here in Austin, Texas once per month!

DAL
December 24, 2000, 11:46 AM
The Fobus holster is a great Makarov accessory, and the mag. loader is indispensable. If you're handy with wood, you could probably fashion one (a loader, not a holster), but it'd probably be easier to buy one or two. Somebody mentioned getting extra magazines, and I heartily agree--get at least half a dozen.

One other accessory I bought (from Makarov.com) was an E. German canvas holster. It has a flap and it's a good way to carry your Makarov while in the field hiking or hunting.
DAL

alamo
December 24, 2000, 07:51 PM
Ordered on-line with http://www.makarov.com yesterday. I got 2 magazines, 2 loaders, the translated makarov operators manual, and a #19 recoil spring. I probably should have gotten more magazines in retrospect. After I take it to the range & clean it, I'll probably want some more items & will get some then.
Shipping is free at makarov.com with U.S. mail which is a great deal.

B Shipley
December 26, 2000, 12:57 AM
Karl will add to your order if you get back to him soon.

You should've bought the "Newbies" kit, with mags, loader, manual, and grips.

I really think that the Pearce grips are great and not too big for those with small to medium hands.

The cleaning rod is a great help if you've ever had the tremendous displeasure of trying to reinstall an extractor.

Loaders are a very good idea.

Whatever manual that is written by W. Cude sucks, bigtime.

My EG has Pearce grips, 19# spring, and a BEAST commander hammer and safety upgrade.

Jody Hudson
December 26, 2000, 01:18 AM
My only two suggestions are: order a lot more magazines, they are cheap and availble now -- who knows what the future may hold. AND get lots of ammo, the Makarov will shoot forever and because of it's accuracy and reliability which only improve with age you will need lots of ammo. Buy a few boxes of each kind for now and then decide which you want to order a truckload or two of. The CCI hollow point is good but my favorite is the Norinco, second the Russian, and third the Corbon; however other than target practice I carry in the woods with Corbon and in the gunshop with Magsafe.

alamo
December 26, 2000, 05:40 PM
Just added 2 more magazines to my order, that would
give me 6 total. That should last me for awhile.

Jody Hudson
December 26, 2000, 08:14 PM
There you go Alamo. :) much better!

Have fun with one of, if not THE, most perfect pistol thus far made!!! Certainly one of the best values and probably the very best value in a firearm today.

Take care,
Jody

ScoutinStAugustine
December 30, 2004, 08:20 AM
I guess I'm sorta in the minority, bacause I say YES to the Pearce grips and no to the mag loader. IMO the Pearce grips fill my hand, soften the recoil, and are just more comfortable, and I like to carry it in a Fobus paddle holster. As for the mag loader, forget it, just push down on the tab for the first 3 rounds, then push down on the flat mag follower for the remaining 5 rounds. Oh, and Makarov.com definately is a GOOD outfit to deal with.

alamo
December 30, 2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for that tip - four years after I posted this message! I gotta say though, I do prefer the Mak loader - much easier for me to load.

Chuck Jennings
December 30, 2004, 12:37 PM
Last I checked, Dillon has leather holster in stock that is great for carry.

Tom2
December 30, 2004, 08:23 PM
I would get the original accessories if you can find all of them, like on Makarov.com and others. Would get an original EG holster, a lanyard, cleaning kit, etc. etc. Makes the gun more interesting if you don't modify it or change it's appearance and have the stuff to go with it. Most of the stuff is comparitively dirt cheap right now, but when your grandkids want to collect stuff they might be alot higher! I remember when captured P-38's, not imports, were about 200$ back in the 80's. Should have got them and squirreled them away, as they are going up alot now! Eventually EG Maks and accessories will dry up or demand will shift to start to exeed supply. Like the 150$ blue sky carbines that now bring 600$ since they dried up. I used to buy and sell them and not even consider such a value jump. Original accessories add alot to the value of the gun, eventually. Look at Luger holsters!

PsychoSword
December 31, 2004, 12:27 AM
The Russian and E. German models seem to be going for the same price as a new 9mm these days. They don't seem like much of a value, especially considering they cost about $.35 to make originally.