PDA

View Full Version : Picking a 308 and scope

velillen
November 26, 2012, 05:26 PM
So after shooting mostly handguns all my life I've finally gone to rifles. Don't get me wrong I've shot rifles just never owned any. But now I have a ar in 223, 300blk, and a sks (7.62x39). Now I'm wanting a bolt action.

The caliber of choice is 308. I already have reloading dies and some ammo/bullets waiting. Got some federal gold medal match too.

The primary use I am looking at is target shooting. I'd like to get a gun I can just practice getting groups with. A bonus would be if I could use it hunting as well.

I have looked at Remington 700s and savage model 10a mostly. But with so many models available I don't know which is best for me. The accutrigger is nice from the one I have shot. But Remington seems more popular too.

Goals of the rifle
To get subMOA at 100 yards
To get moa at 200 yards
To eventually shoot longer distances

Some bonuses if I could
Threaded so I could suppress down the road
Able to use hunting. Might be something I get into eventually but maybe not

I dont really plan to mod the rifle to much. I'm really seeing this as the first rifle and a rifle to see what I really want down the road. But it'll be something that should do well too. My eventual goal is to be able to shoot 600 yards plus

As for scope all o have now is a cheap Nikon 3-9 bdc that I got for like $120. Seems like that should work fine for out to 200 yards but after that might not. So I was thinking I might get a nice scope too. Or is it not worth it till I get practice and get comfortable at the 200yard mark and then move to longer range?

Budget for rifle I'm going to say $1000. Cheaper is better but could go to say $1200 max if its really worth it.

Scope wise I want to say if I got one it would be around 600

I know this gets asked a lot and I have googled the topic but seems like I just go in circles on what to get so figured I would just ask advice.

DASHZNT
November 26, 2012, 05:37 PM
I have a Remington 700 SS 5R Milspec. Do the research and you will see for yourself, its the best rifle for the money especially considering the performance it delivers. Theyre limited though Remington doesnt even have it in their catalogs. The best price is through snipercountrypx.com

Good Luck which ever route to choose.

DASHZNT

Chet Punisher
November 26, 2012, 07:03 PM
I just went thru this. I decided on the SPS Tactical. I got it thru grabagun.com for a little under $600... There is a rebate right now for $40 from Remington.

Have fun researching. It's half the fun...

velillen
November 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
What makes the 5R better than say a SPS Tactical though? Just the fact its a 5R barrel? I see it is capable of some great groupings ( under .5" at 100 yards) but since its my first real bolt action it would probably be awhile before i even got there anyways. That and id still need ot get a scope mount. rings, bipod, ect.

I do like the fact i can get it with a threaded barrel too for not to much more

And Chet ive been looking for close to three months now (not super hard core or anything mind you) planning for ahwne i get home to be able ot buy it. Well now I'm weeks away and still havent picked one lol

Chet Punisher
November 26, 2012, 07:31 PM
Tell me about it. I went back and forth. I was buying two rifles. One to shoot deer with and one to shoot yotes and paper. I had decided on a Savage thumbhole in 308 and the sps in .223... LOL... Now I have two SPS coming, one in .308 and one in .223... They are a great price and great accuracy...

I'm planning on a Boyd's thumbhole for the .308... But I'll shoot it first before just to make sure I don't have a crazy accurate one...

The .223 is gonna be my project gun...

Have fun! Make sure to surf all the gun sights to make sure you get the best price. Bud's list a great price, but it is cash only price. Make sure to check all of them... I prefer grabagun or jetguns...

Cowboy_mo
November 26, 2012, 07:36 PM
This month's issue of Field & Stream has a great article by D. Petzal on 5 affordable rifles he reviewed.

All are priced at $500 or less. Marlin x7, TC Venture, Weatherby Vanguard S2, and a Savage (forgot the model but it had an Acu Trigger)and Ruger American. The Marlin was the cheapest out the door for less than $400. Four of the five shot 1" or less at 100 yds, and the other went 1.25.

Can't remember the rest of the details but check out the article and then go put your hands on the different models. Pick the one that suits you best and enjoy the shooting:D:D:D

Revoliver
November 26, 2012, 07:42 PM
Get a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Tactical in .308. I just picked mine up about 2 weeks ago and LOVE it. It is a 20" heavy barrel with 1:10 twist and comes threaded with Ruger's birdcage flash hider on it, ruger's 1" diameter scope mounting rings and a Harris tilt bipod. I particularly favor Ruger products and especially love their bolt and safety. If you decide to get a scope that is either larger than 42mm bell or 1" tube you can call ruger and trade for the mounting rings that will accomodate the scope for free. Ruger also has a lifetime warranty.

http://i1147.photobucket.com/albums/o548/Revoliver6/20121122_095328_zpsf40c55bb.jpg

(I replaced the birdcage flash hider with a Vortex flash hider, also the bipod in the pic is a Harris non tilt one, the tilt one I have since put back on.)

For a scope I went with a Redfield Revolution 4-12x40. Redfield's been reborn by Leupold and is made in the same plant along side Leupolds and are excellent scopes (at least mine is) while being affordable and still offering Leupold's 'no questions asked' repair policy. I also went with the Accu-range reticle, and even though I have yet to do the ballistics charts for the reticle range holdover marks, I love the smaller circle around the center of the crosshairs.

Redfield also has a $30 rebate going on right now.

Rifle (plus all that comes with it): $843
Scope: $219 (will be $189 after rebate)
Total cost (including shipping but not FFL): $1,062
($1, 032 after rebate)

alex0535
November 26, 2012, 07:49 PM
^I am also a big fan of Redfield. I own two of their scopes and have been happy with both of them. I have one like yours on my .17 HMR and I shoot squirrels through the heart at 80 yards. It puts bullets on target time and time again.

velillen
November 26, 2012, 08:30 PM
THanks for all the ideas guys. Hadnt thought of the Ruger models since i mostly hear Remington 700's and Savages tossed around name wise.

As for the redfield they sound like nice scopes. Definitely look into them if the Nikon 3-9 BDC one i have doesnt cut it, or if i decide to leave that one on my AR

ripnbst
November 26, 2012, 09:33 PM
I just bought a Remington 700 ADL that with premium ammo is very accurate. Gun was $379 from Academy outdoors. It is lighter than most other Rem 700's but doesn't have the heavy barrel. If I had your budget I'd be looking at the 5R no questions asked.

jehu
November 27, 2012, 07:39 AM
If I had $1200 to spend on a rifle it would be a lightly used Sako or save alittle more and get a new Sako!!:rolleyes:

Rimfire5
November 27, 2012, 08:13 AM
The Savage 10 FCP-K in .308 is a Law Enforcement model with muzzle brake that can be unscrewed to fit a suppressor.

They shoot very accurately and mine manages 0.419inch average group size at 100 yards with 10 different best hand loads.
My son and two buddies also have them and they all shoot the same way, so they sound like they are made to shoot that way.

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

If you want to shoot at 200 yards and beyond, I would suggest at least a 15 power scope or more so you can get the best out of the rifle. Mine has a 25power Millet tactical. You can't shoot small groups if the reticle blocks your aim point.

BuddyP
November 27, 2012, 08:28 AM
I know you said you want a bolt, but I have and know several friends who have the Remington 7600 pump rifles. Mine is in a .308 and I've never been so happy with a rifles performance. From a clamp rest, groups at 150 yards are about 3/4" and they're pretty enough to show off to friends and durable enough to be perfect hunting guns. About 650 new from the factory, 800 for the highest grade.

geetarman
November 27, 2012, 08:38 AM
I have a Remington 700P that I bought about 5 years ago. I put a Leupold VXIII 4.5-16 on it in Leupold rings.

My gun won't shoot the 150-155 gr. bullets worth a hoot. Makes no difference with handloads or factory loads.

With factory or handloads with 168-175 gr. bullets, it shoots great

The only mod to the gun is a trigger job to lighten the pull and eliminate the creep.

I had that done by a gunsmith at Rio Salado, where I shoot, and have had no problems with AD.

I used the Berger method to tune the loads and it has paid off. You will know it when you find the sweet spot.

cw308
November 27, 2012, 09:05 AM
Check out Dicks sporting goods, You can pick up a Rem. 700 Varmint 308 Heavy 26" brl. with 3X9X40 scope & rings, in the low $400. Stock isn't the best, but you can build on that later.

velillen
November 27, 2012, 09:36 AM
The savage 10 fcp-k is the savage I've been looking at.

I'm pretty much between the savage, Remington 700 5r and the sps tactical or acc-ad.

O for ammo I'm pretty much planning 168-175....got a bunch of the 168. If I suppressed it I might go for heavier but who knows.

Thanks for the experiences and recommendations!

Chet Punisher
November 27, 2012, 02:53 PM
Don't know it you read these reviews... I found them very good and insightful...

Remington SPS Tactical:

http://www.snipercentral.com/spstactical.htm

Not sure if this is the Savage you are talking about:

http://www.snipercentral.com/sav10pc.phtml

The Remington 5R:

http://www.snipercentral.com/milspec5r.phtml

These reviews helped me choose the SPS... Hope that helps.

velillen
November 27, 2012, 03:02 PM
I've read all those Chet. The sps and 5r especially. The sps seems to not be free floated totally and the stock is often changed fast by a lot of people. The 5r is a good out of the box factory from what I've seen. So is the savage fcp-k from what I've read.

I'm thinking the fcp-k is what ill get. 24 in barrel, threaded, good stock out of the box, and cheaper than a 5r. For a first bolt action I'm thinking its a good middle of the road while letting me have some extra cash for scope mounting and bipods.

Chet Punisher
November 27, 2012, 03:04 PM
That sounds like a good decision. Now try and find as many forum reviews about it as you can. Man I love researching rifles... LOL

velillen
November 27, 2012, 03:13 PM
O I've read more than I care to admit. One thing I've definitely learned is that any of those guns is probably more accurate than I am. Some guys can get .2 inch groups and others only .5 inch groups with the same rifle. Realistically as a first rifle ill be happy shooting 1moa at 100yards....that's my current goal and I'm sure any of the three can get me there. The savage just has a few added bonuses for if I do suppress it.....well more I'd suppress my 300blk and could use that can on the fcpk.

Though in a few months I could be adding a sps to use hunting so who knows!

ttheel
November 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
I just purchased a Browning X bolt Stainless Stalker and topped it with a Leupold VX-3 3.5-10x50 rifle scope which would fit your budget criteria. Very happy thus far. I did purchase mine for big game hunting and not target shooting though.

Chris9472
November 27, 2012, 10:45 PM
Just got a Remington 770 .308 w/scope for Black Friday at Gander Mountain for $299.99, plus a buy one get one free Allen camo gun case for $18. One for my rifle, and one for a future shotgun. :D

ripnbst
November 27, 2012, 10:46 PM
The aftermarket is not nearly where the 700 is on the 770.

Chris9472
November 27, 2012, 11:28 PM
The aftermarket is not nearly where the 700 is on the 770.You mean the 770 does not nearly have the aftermarket the 700 does?

I understand that, the 770 is an entry level rifle after all. I did check out a 700D in black synthetic as well, but it didn't look or feel all that much better to me then the 770 I got, plus it came with a Bushnell scope and was considerably cheaper as a Black Friday special.

I've never hunted or fired a gun like this before, but I couldn't pass up the deal. Now I got one in case I ever get to tag along on a hunting trip. :)