PDA

View Full Version : WesternField

Vic
November 26, 2012, 02:23 AM
have a friend with a Western Field model M72B, its a lever 30-30, I know its Mfg by Mossberg for Montgomery Ward

Its in EXCELLANT condition, serial number 68XXXX....can anyone tell me age and or value as I am considering making a bid to purchase.

Thanks!

g.willikers
November 26, 2012, 09:42 AM
It seems that since the new Marlins have gone up quite a lot in price, the older lever actions have, too, Mossberg included.
So, the prices in the gun value books don't reflect the increases very well.
Sometimes the store brands versions can be higher, depending on name and rarity.
As a wild guess, the one you are looking at sounds like $300 or so gun at retail.

damienph
November 26, 2012, 11:08 AM
I believe that the Mossberg model of that Western Field is the 472. On the ouside it looks alot like a Marlin 336 but the design is quite a bit different.

I have a pistol gripped 472 and it is actually a pretty decent shooting rifle. I bought mine for less than $100 a few years ago, which was a pretty good deal even then, but I think that $300 would be top price for one, even in excellent condition.

I am not sure but I think that the 472/479 series of leveraction Mossbergs were made from around 1972 through 1980, maybe a little longer. They never were very popular, despite being decent quality rifles.

TheNatureBoy
November 27, 2012, 05:31 PM
I own a Westernfield M72 .30-30 and I paid $250 for it a few years back. I probably overpaid for it then but based on what I'm seeing on the internet $210-$240 for the M72 seems to be the average in todays maket.