PDA

View Full Version : Want a SS bolt action w/syn stock - suggestions?

603Country
November 23, 2012, 08:10 PM
This is a minor rework of a thread of mine a few days ago. I just sold a rifle and will be buying another one. It needs to be stainless with a synthetic stock. I want accuracy and I want it in 260 Remington. The Tikka T3 lite stainless is an option. Who else makes an affordable bolt gun in stainless in that caliber? And do you Tikka guys really like the T3's that you have? Does anyone here have a T3 that they DON'T like? Thanks. I'm leaning toward the T3, but don't want to make a mistake.

603Country
November 23, 2012, 10:24 PM
Never mind. Forget the Tikka T3. Per the Beretta site, it isn't offered in 260. Maybe it was, but that was then and this is now. Darn.

alex0535
November 23, 2012, 10:38 PM
Savage Model: 16/116 FCSS

I was going to suggest a remington 700 but i can't find a synthetic stock stainless steel in the caliber you want.

I hear very few negatives towards Savage, most are very happy with their Savage rifle. Considered some of the most accurate out of the box rifles available by many.

sc928porsche
November 23, 2012, 11:33 PM
Sako #85 is made in stainless, synthetic stock, and 260 remington chamber.

njm
November 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
look at howa

PatientWolf
November 24, 2012, 08:06 AM
Savage offers one in their "Weather Warrior" model.

If you don't need the Accu stock, but want a scope package, they have the Trophy Hunter and International Trophy hunter in stainless for about the same price as the Weather Warrior without the scope. The differences in the packages is the scope. One comes with a Weaver the other comes with a Nikon.

jehu
November 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Spend alittle more and get the Sako, you won't regret it!;)

603Country
November 24, 2012, 02:46 PM
I really don't want the Savage, but the Sako might work for me. What I have right now is the Ruger Compact with the 16.5 inch barrel. It's great, but I'd really like a 20 inch barrel, and I've really gotten fond of that real light rifle. The Tikka T3 lite Stainless weighs 6 pounds. That would be perfect, in that I'd get the weight I want and the caliber I want and the 20 inch barrel. Per the Tikka site on the internet, the rifle is (or was) available in that caliber, but nobody has one. I've just talked to one of the big hunting stores and they are going to go to their buyer to see if the rifle can be found and at what price. The other option, so far, is the Remington Model 7 in stainless, but if that's my only option I'll just rebarrel the Ruger that I have. The Sako would be a very expensive alternate, but I'll go online to see what they have in the way of lightweight and stainless models. I have one Sako, and it's a terrific rifle. By far it's the best rifle I have, so it would be nice to have another one, but the cost has to be considered.

jmr40
November 24, 2012, 06:58 PM
If you can find a Tikka in 260 it would be a fine choice. Probably out of your budget, but a Kimber or Winchester would be at the top of my list if the price is within your budget.

If I couldn't find a Tikka, I look hard at the Ruger All Weather.

I've had a couple of Tikkas. They function and work well, very light, great triggers and among the most accurate rifles I've owned.

The do have some downsides. Not as conventional looking. I'd prefer a traditional floorplate or even blind magazine to the detachable mag. But a gun I could live with.

603Country
November 24, 2012, 07:46 PM
Yep, the Kimber or the Winchester would be nice, but I really don't want to spend that much money. If the 'big store' comes back with the Tikka stainless in 260, I'll buy it. I handled one today and liked it very much. It was really light, the bolt was nice, and I liked the stock. If I can't get the Tikka, I'll price the Sako 85 Finnbear stainless. It's just the Tikka at the next level, by which I mean that it looks like the Tikka and is even the same size and weight (and appearance), but made to better specs (probably won't shoot any better). And if I can't make myself spend for the Sako, I'll just keep my Ruger Compact and be happy with it. Not a darn thing wrong with it other than me wanting a bit longer barrel (which I might do if all my shopping fails to turn up what I want).

Oh, and the Ruger all-weather doesn't presently come in 260, though I could get the 6.5 Creedmore, but I'd need new dies and brass.

All this is just me wanting something that I don't have to have. If I lay down long enough the feeling will go away.