PDA

View Full Version : Remington Sportsman 76 hammer strikes magazine

OEF-Vet
November 23, 2012, 01:51 PM
I picked up a Remington Sportsman 76 in 30-06 that was not well maintained by the previous owner. This thing was covered in rust on the outside, copper fouled on the inside and at some point had a lubricant used that gummed up and made the action difficult to work.

I tore the weapon completely down cleaned everything up, Duracoated it with a cammo pattern I liked, properly lubed the action and reassembled.

Now that I have a complete functioning weapon I noticed the when dry firing the hammer strikes the back of the magazine. Is this normal for this model or is it something I should be concerned about?

big al hunter
November 23, 2012, 08:37 PM
If it is not denting the magazine I can't see what it would hurt. Is it marking the mag. or do you hear it rattle?

oneoldsap
November 25, 2012, 04:23 PM
I don't know what might be hitting your magazine , but it's not the hammer ! That's not physicaly possible , even with the bolt removed .

OEF-Vet
November 27, 2012, 02:43 PM
It's just scuffing the mag.

It is with out a doubt the hammer striking the magazine, I reassembled the weapon without the dust cover and observed the hammer striking the mag.

big al hunter
November 27, 2012, 11:27 PM
From what you describe it is normal. The pivot point of the hammer is very close to the mag well. If it does not cause misfire then it is ok.

OEF-Vet
November 28, 2012, 08:17 AM
big al hunter

Thank you for your advise it is appreciated. I guess I never noticed it before because I never dry fired my rifle before and the condition of the magazine was not the best. With the Doracoat on the mag I noticed the slight scuff and that prompted me to investigate.

mr.t7024
November 28, 2012, 08:36 AM
Why dry fire, buy snap caps. Dry firing could eventually break the firing or on a rim fire break the firing pin,peen the chamber or both. keep in mind The cartridge acts as a shock absorber. This my opinion .:) Cliff

OEF-Vet
November 28, 2012, 08:54 AM
Why dry fire, buy snap caps. Dry firing could eventually break the firing or on a rim fire break the firing pin,peen the chamber or both. keep in mind The cartridge acts as a shock absorber. This my opinion . Cliff

mr.t7024
Thanks for the advise, I don't usually make a habit of dry firing. I have snap caps for all my guns except 30-06 and just wanted to do a quick function check because I wanted to use it for deer season that started Monday here in PA. I have been under a heavy load at work and didn't get it put together until Thursday evening and was to leave Friday morning. I should have been patient and just let it sit this season out. Fortunately no harm caused.