PDA

View Full Version : CZ 527 I'm a happy camper.

Jerry45
November 21, 2012, 09:45 PM
My son bought a CZ carbine in 7.62 x 39 a couple of years ago and I fell in love with the single stage trigger on it. Thought I might like one in .223 but didn't think much more about it. I've been working up loads for my wife's .223 Savage with an Acutigger and it's OK. Shoots very good but doesn't really do anything for me. Started me thinking a lot lately about maybe getting the CZ in .223. Walked into Cabala's three weeks ago and in the "used" rifle rack was a "NEW" CZ 527 laminated stock single stage trigger. I fondled it and it followed me home. I love this rifle! Just finished working up loads for it today. When I do my part it'll shoot a five shot 1/4" hole at 100 yards. Every five shot string at least 2 go through the same hole Did I say I love this little rifle? :D Oh, the wife loves it too but she ain't getting it. :p

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/germil1/CZ1A.jpg

10-96
November 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Oh yeah- that's what I'm talking about!
I've got an American model and the Varmint model- both in .223, and I wouldn't trade either one of them for anything I've ever seen. I'm thinking your'e meaning the "single set trigger"?

Anyhow, they are some seriously great rifles. I'm gonna ask to be buried with at least one of mine in the off-chance there happens to be pasture poodles in the great hunting grounds when I get there.

armoredman
November 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
I have the 7.62x39mm 527M carbine, and love it. The single set trigger is sweeeeet. :)

Jerry45
November 22, 2012, 12:34 AM
Yep, single set trigger. Fore some reason I have single stage stuck in my mind and I keep saying, now typing it. :o

Rimfire5
November 22, 2012, 08:22 AM
Sounds like you got a great shooting CZ 527.

I've got the Kevlar-stocked Varmint model.
It shoots under 1/2 inch average groups with at least one recipe for bullets from 40, 45, 50, 52, 55, 60, 63, 65 and 69 grain bullets.
The lighter bullets like H335 powder but they all shoot under 1/2 inch with H4895.
It's best long term average (0.306) is with 52 grain Sierra Match King bullets and H335 powder. Its 10 favorite loads all average under 0.368 inches and its top 25 loads all average under 0.45 inches at 100 yards.

CZ makes some great shooting rifles.

Try a variety of bullet weights and experiment with velocity and depth and you will be amazed by how broad a range of bullet weights it can shoot with accuracy.

FALPhil
November 22, 2012, 11:12 AM
Rimfire5, I have a Kevlar Varmint in 223 also, and I get the same results. The only rifle I own that shoots tighter is my XR-100 in 22-250.

Jerry45
November 22, 2012, 01:45 PM
Rimfire5, I'm using Dogtown 55 gr. bullets from Midway. They're great little bullets at a good price. Most weigh out + - 0.1 gr. and + - 0.02 OAL. Gun likes them 0.10 off lands, 1.174 to ogive. Loads were worked up using Varget and IMR 4064. It likes 26.5 gr. of Vargert best.

I really hate having to do this "BUT"! Disclaimer to those that might not be quite up to speed on reloading: DON'T TRUST THAT THOSE MEASUREMENTS WILL WORK IN YOUR RIFLE. OAL IS SPECIFIC TO EACH RIFLE AND POWDER CHARGES THAT WORK IN ONE RIFLE MAY BLOW UP ANOTHER.

Rimfire5
November 22, 2012, 04:32 PM
Jerry45

You owe it to your CZ to try some really good bullets just to see if it shoots them even better.

I have tried FMJ 55s in my CZ and it shoots them OK but nowhere near the same level as 52 grain Bergers or 52 grain SMKs or 55 grain Bergers.

The CZ also shoots Nosler Ballistic Tip 40 grains really well.

The CZ just barely is able to shoot .5 inch groups and averages just over that with the best load with Sierra FMJs. I save the Dogtown bullets for my AR with the short barrel. It can't break 1 MOA even on a good day with good bullets anyway.

Jerry45
November 22, 2012, 05:01 PM
I've shot Bergers 168 gr. (still have some on the shelf) and shoot SMK 168 in my custom 308. May try some SMK in 52 gr next time I order bullets. Thanks for the info.

Hunter Customs
November 23, 2012, 09:05 AM
Jerry45,

Nice rifle and the single set trigger in the CZ rifles is the best triggers I've ever user.

I have a 527 American that has a really pretty laminated stock, that along with the blue job on the metal makes the rifle an eye catcher.

When I let people try the single set trigger their mouth drops open from the surprise.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Hunter Customs
November 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Jerry45,

Did the Night Force come on the rifle or did you add that?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Jerry45
November 23, 2012, 09:47 AM
Bob, since I'm shooting off a bench and can use the unset trigger pull if I use it to hunt I have the set trigger pull at 6/8 oz. I let a fellow at the range pull the Timney trigger in my 308, set at 1.5 Lb. He said "WOW". Then I set the trigger on the ZC. When he touched it, it broke :eek:. His eyes almost popped out. :D did I say I love this little rifle. :)

I added the Night Force. I found a nice dove-tale to Weaver/Picatinny rail for the CZ so I can use "standard" 30 mm. rings.

Hunter Customs
November 23, 2012, 02:36 PM
That's the way I used my trigger on my CZ.

The Night Force is a great glass, top of the line in my opinion.
As far as I'm concerned your whole set up, rifle and glass is top of the line.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Jerry45
November 24, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks Bob. I've suddenly developed an itch for CZ 550 Varmint, Laminated Stock in 308. Thank goodness it seems to be hard to come. :D

m&p45acp10+1
November 24, 2012, 04:38 PM
I have the 527 American in .221 Remington Fireball. The walnut stock is flawless to say the least. The finish is one that has to be seen to believe for a rifle in its price range. It shoots one hole groups at 100 yards from a rest using either 40 grain or 55 grain bullets.

Oh and for a good load to try I suggest 55 grain Hornady V-Max with a load of H335. A great all around combination of accuracy, and economy. They are my go to load for 99% of the shooting I do with my Savage Model 12 FSSV. They have shot half MOA or better in every rifle I have tried them in, and that is 8 rifles in all. 6 of those being stock AR rifles of various makers.

Jerry45
November 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
Funny you should bring up 55g. V Max. I was looking in my bullet stash yesterday and found the remainder of a box, couple of hundred 55 gr. V Max, so loaded some up. I've been shooting Varget so loaded up a progression of it to see how and what shoots best.

I'm toying with the idea of trying the CZ loaded with V Max or similar on White Tail this season. Still not to sure if the little .223 packs enough whollop. Could have up to a 200 yard shot. I know the 06 will get it done. :D

m&p45acp10+1
November 25, 2012, 07:24 PM
Jerry I am not sure how they would work on white tail deer as I have never used them on deer. I can warn not to use them on coyote if you have any plans on saving the pelts. They are quite explosive. I shot 4 with head shots. There was not much left where the exit channel was. That was at 425 yards with a laser range finder.

Oh and I would suggest giving a 1 pound can of H335 a try with the 55 grain bullets. I have had great results with Varget, and Reloader 15 using bullets of 68 to 77 grains. Though both were only so so with 55 grain loads. That is where the H335 realy shines through.

Jerry45
November 25, 2012, 10:27 PM
m&p thanks for the reply. The more I think about it the more I feel why take a chance with the .223 when I have and know the 06 will get it done. The Varget is working quite well with the 55 gr. but not being one to settle for good I'll give some H335 a try. I keep hearing people singing it's praises.