PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700P fires when the safety selector is switched to fire...

srfisher3
November 18, 2012, 08:22 PM
So recently during a routine cleaning of my Remington 700p, I had a disturbing interaction with the safety mechanism. The firing pin would shoot forward when I placed the weapon from safe to fire...thankfully the rifle was unloaded. I was able to repeat the process several times. Every time I went from safe to fire, the firing pin would fire...Thoughts, Suggestions?

Mike38
November 18, 2012, 08:38 PM
Thoughts, Suggestions?

Do not load it, do not plan to use it until it’s been corrected!

If it’s new, call Remington. If older, call a gunsmith.

arizona98tj
November 18, 2012, 08:42 PM
x2 on what Mike38 said. Don't use it until the issue is resolved. It is a known problem for some 700 rifles....seems to be more than enough forums threads about it. Some will say it is not a problem because their 700 doesn't do it. What ever.....

Good luck...and please be safe! ;)

LockedBreech
November 18, 2012, 08:48 PM
How old is your 700? I thought this issue had been fixed several years ago.

Mobuck
November 18, 2012, 08:52 PM
The only ones I've seen do this were "tinkered with". On the other hand, I've seen more that would fire when the safety was released IF the trigger had been pulled while the safety was still on. I've also seen Savage 110 rifles fire when subjected to the "pull trigger, release safety" scenario. It's not just Remingtons that exhibit this unsafe action after having unauthorized adjustments.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 18, 2012, 09:04 PM
Sounds like either the trigger group is worn or has been lightened too much. I love the R700, and have seen this before. Usually it is from the latter of the two issues. I have owned quite a few 700's and never had one misfire unless it was modified. If it is stock, contact Remington, they will fix it. If it has been lightened, they will charge you for another trigger. I would have a gunsmith look at it ASAP. Like everyone else said, DO NOT USE IT UNTIL IT IS FIXED.

tahunua001
November 18, 2012, 09:11 PM
the way I see it is that you have 2 options.
1, the correct method: return it to the factory, that is not normal and is a serious safety risk that must be dealt with.

2. do what I was always taught to do with my 700 growing up and a habit that has carried over to all of my other bolt actions. you carry with the bolt hand up as to fully disengage the firing pin. it will be impossible to fire negligently but it will not solve the underlying problem and can be potentially deadly if you ever lend it to someone that is accustomed to relying on manual safeties on their rifles.

Scorch
November 18, 2012, 11:12 PM
Either:
a- Ship the rifle to an authorized Remington service center (list of service centers is on the Remington website)
OR
b- Replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger such as a Timney (have a gunsmith install it if you don't already know how).

jmr40
November 19, 2012, 06:15 AM
do what I was always taught to do with my 700 growing up and a habit that has carried over to all of my other bolt actions. you carry with the bolt hand up as to fully disengage the firing pin. it will be impossible to fire negligently but it will not solve the underlying problem and can be potentially deadly if you ever lend it to someone that is accustomed to relying on manual safeties on their rifles.

The only problem with this is that if you have one of the "problem" guns it will fire as soon as you close the bolt. The problem is not a defective safety. Remingtons safety works as good as any, the problem is a poorly designed trigger that in very rare cases allows the gun to do this.

I have an older 1974 gun that has done exactly the same. Mine was unloaded at the time as well. The problem was addressed in 2007 with a new trigger design. If it were mine I'd just take it to a smith and have an aftermarket trigger installed. Sending it back to Remington will get you another Remington trigger. I would feel much better with aftermarket.

Mobuck
November 19, 2012, 07:08 AM
I have owned and used Rem 700 rifles for 40 years. I have carried them in every way imaginable(some not really safety conscious) way. I have NEVER had a 700 fire w/o moving the trigger. A relative bought a used 700 that would snap about 50% of the time when the bolt was slammed closed and nearly 100% when the trigger was pulled w/safety on and then the safety released. The sear contact was set too fine and had a slight bit of wear causing this malfunction. A slight adjustment for more sear contact solved the problem for the short term.
Some people shouldn't have guns and many more shouldn't have guns and screwdrivers at the same time. Anyone can screw up anything given enough time and foolishness.

rodfac
November 19, 2012, 08:01 AM
VERY well said, Mobuck
Best Regards, Rod

Some people shouldn't have guns and many more shouldn't have guns and screwdrivers at the same time. Anyone can screw up anything given enough time and foolishness.

tango1niner
November 19, 2012, 08:11 AM
without actually seeing the rifle the problem sounds like there is not enough sear engagement or wear.

CharlieDeltaJuliet
November 19, 2012, 10:04 AM
Mobuck is exactly right. Just be warned that if you send it to Remington and the trigger has been "adjusted" they will replace the trigger group and charge you for it. A guy in my area did this, and complained about it. He had let his brother-in-law "set the trigger like one of them Sniper rifles"...

geetarman
November 19, 2012, 10:09 AM
I have an old M700 and another just a few years old. My guns don't do anything strange. I had a gunsmith do a trigger job on the 700P, but it only goes off whn the safety is off and I pull the trigger.

WWWJD
November 19, 2012, 10:33 AM
The OP hasn't responded back with any further details so it's hard to say....

I will say though that I've had a similar situation, but with a modified rifle. My 700 SPS has a Jewell trigger and now, a B&C A5 Medalist. When I first installed the B&C, there wasn't enough clearance for the safety arm on the trigger assembly for the safety to fully engage. The thumb lever "looked" right, but the arm was hanging on the stock. I had to relieve the stock a little with a dremel for proper clearances.

Prior to this trimming, the rifle would:
a) Not fully engage the sear. Firing pin would fall on bolt closure
b) If the sear did catch, the trigger could partially break with the partial safety engagement (which wasn't really engaged... just looked engaged)
c) If the trigger/sear had been pulled with partial safety engagement, the rifle would fire when the safety was pushed forward for fire. (just in testing.. I never did this with a loaded rifle... Lord no.)

So that being said, if the rifle has an aftermarket stock, aftermarket trigger, etc... double check all the internal clearances. Once I fixed this, the rifle can be beat, kicked, dropped and not fire unless I break the trigger as it should.

cw308
November 20, 2012, 04:48 PM
Remington makes a good trigger, easy to adjust when you know what your doing, if not . Put it in the hands of someone who does. Very easy adjustment as long as the sear hasen't been ground down . Sears are very strong. Safety first

Picher
November 20, 2012, 08:01 PM
The usual causes are:

1. Gunk in the trigger mechanism, causing the trigger to not move forward when cocked. Squirt some lighter fluid in the mechanism (outdoors) to clean things out. Work the trigger until it works smoothly again and the return spring pushes it forward reliably.

2. Someone set the fore-travel too close and the mechanism wore a bit, so it won't stay cocked. If that's the case, back the screw in the rear of the trigger out a half-turn and see if it fixes the problem.

coyota1
November 20, 2012, 08:38 PM
I would like to hear more info from the OP. Maybe he (or they) are just trying to stir up a hornet's nest. I've had about enough of this Remington trigger BS.

JimPage
November 20, 2012, 09:03 PM
"The only ones I've seen do this were "tinkered with". On the other hand, I've seen more that would fire when the safety was released IF the trigger had been pulled while the safety was still on. I've also seen Savage 110 rifles fire when subjected to the "pull trigger, release safety" scenario. It's not just Remingtons that exhibit this unsafe action after having unauthorized adjustments. "

Exactly, that's one thing we always teach in Hunter Safety training. It's especially true for rifles that have been tinkered with.

thallub
November 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
Recently an acquaintance brought me a fairly new Remington 700 rifle that fired when the safety was put in the fire position. His friend had "adjusted " the trigger. i refused to touch the gun: Told him to contact Remington or a gunsmith.

There are 19 Remington model 721, 722 and model 700 rifles in my safes. None have ever gone boom without someone pulling the trigger.

johnbt
November 20, 2012, 10:23 PM
The man who designed the original Model 700 trigger told Remington there was a problem with it. He wrote a memo decades ago detailing it. But that's old history.

In September a federal court unsealed the Aleksich v. Remington case record after 17 years.

http://publicjustice.net/content/federal-court-unseals-remington-rifle-court-documents

jmr40
November 21, 2012, 04:27 PM
"The only ones I've seen do this were "tinkered with".

Any gun that has been tinkered with improperly can do this, but Remington is the only company that has produced thousands of rifles that have done it exactly as they left the factory. Mine has shown it will, and it has never been modified in any way. On average Remington has had 100+ rifles returned to the factory each year since the 60's. Many more have done it and not been returned simply because the owners chose to replace the trigger with an aftermarket trigger.

A brand new rifle sent to Consumer Reports did it in 1968 and made a write up. Bottom left column of page 2.

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/CNBC/Sections/CNBC_TV/CNBC_US/Shows/_Documentaries_Specials/Remington_Under_Fire/Documents/Rem_Doc_13.pdf

The problem is the use of a trigger connector used on almost all Remington bolt actions made from the 1940's through 2007 when it was removed from the trigger group. Although extremely rare this part can malfunction in any rifle at any time, or probably never.

There are 19 Remington model 721, 722 and model 700 rifles in my safes. None have ever gone boom without someone pulling the trigger.

And they probably never will. But any of them COULD do it the next time you load the gun. It may do it once or twice and never do it again. There is no way to predict when it will happen.

Remington has known about this since 1946 when their own engineers discovered the problem and urged management to change the trigger then. Because of cost overruns and other problems they did not want to delay getting new guns on the shelves any longer.

shurshot
November 21, 2012, 05:28 PM
"I would like to hear more info from the OP. Maybe he (or they) are just trying to stir up a hornet's nest. I've had about enough of this Remington trigger BS"(COYOTA1)

Coyota1; You took the words right out of my mouth. My Grandfather's 1948 vintage Remington 721 has NEVER had any issues over many decades, nor my newer BDL, but we don't use screwdrivers on them either! No need to, as the Walker Triggers are perfect as they are, crisp and clean. No wonder US Military Snipers and hunters love them!

Don't be fooled by "Remington Under Fire", the hour long malicious attack against Remington. CNBC should be sued for giving such a one sided story. Want the other half of the story, the half based on truth & facts, not emotions and manipulative anti-gun reporting?

Watch.....

http://youtu.be/RpXivkcyJ1o

CNBC sure left out quite a few details & facts, didn't they? There are 2 sides to every coin, although CNBC tried to only show one.

OP had how many posts...? HMmmmmm... :rolleyes:

mete
November 22, 2012, 02:39 AM
Jim Page , I've worked on a number of 22 pistols with that problem [pull trigger , release safety it fires] .The first one was my own and happened with an empty gun. It gets your attention !! :eek:
Then I found others and corrected them . Don't try to do this yourself unless you are trained and skilled , it takes very fine work to correct.