PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg 464 SPX 30-30

J2.
November 17, 2012, 01:46 PM
http://pics.gunbroker.com/GB/316481000/316481067/pix229807542.jpg
Any comments on this new rifle? I like it, in the stray dog that followed me home kinda way. Honey can I keep it?
One question: Would the rails be in the way of your hand, when shooting?

g.willikers
November 17, 2012, 04:14 PM
John Wayne must be rolling in his grave.

Revoliver
November 17, 2012, 06:35 PM
You can buy aftermarket rail covers for the rails on the forearm sides.

jmortimer
November 17, 2012, 06:41 PM
I like it, but I'm in the minority on this one.

coyota1
November 17, 2012, 06:58 PM
:eek:

J2.
November 17, 2012, 07:44 PM
I have a model 94, by far my fav!
This one is so ugly I like though. I can see it with a scope and light already! Maybe coyote tan?

PawPaw
November 18, 2012, 09:29 AM
I hope Mossberg sells them by the freight-car load. I'm not necessarily a fan, but if other folks like them, all the better. I've got my .30-30s and they tend more to the traditional, although I have one Model 94 with a tacticool composite stock.

tahunua001
November 18, 2012, 08:46 PM
for goodness sakes guys. this is NOT A NEW RIFLE!!!

it has been out for years, I have been reading about them for well over a year. no, they are not your traditional lever action and traditionalists think that they are ugly. GET OVER IT! if nobody wanted them then Mossberg would neither have introduced nor continued producing them. I personally think that the lever action needed to be modernized but IMHO the 646 did it all wrong.

I would have added a 3 rail handguard but I would have done 2 inch removable rails and would have added a 12 inch 1913 rail over the top of the receiver to allow for optics. furthermore it would have been just as easy to make a side folding skeleton stock that keeps the traditional profile as it was to make the M4 style telescope stock.

as for whether they are reliable or not I have no idea, mossberg is usually overlooked in the "which lever action is best" threads.

coyota1
November 18, 2012, 08:58 PM
tahunua001, that gun will be ugly till the day I die. Be that as it may, the lever gun was originally the first "assault" rifle.

tahunua001
November 18, 2012, 09:02 PM
um....no it wasn't the Sturmgeweher was.

assault rifles are rapid reload, select fire/fully automatic weapons.

the lever action is none of those things and never will be.

the brown bess has a greater claim to first assault rifle than the lever action.

coyota1
November 18, 2012, 09:15 PM
I know it isn't an assault rifle it the true sense. That's why I put the quotes on it. It was made for rapid fire anti personal use.

FrankenMauser
November 18, 2012, 10:34 PM
We had quite a discussion about the 464 SPX, when it was announced in January:
New Mossberg 464 SPX .... nearly speechless (http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475663)

It was also featured in the December 2012 American Rifleman. I, honestly, could not stop laughing while I read the article. The author tries SO hard to avoid criticizing the rifle in any way, and makes several incredibly ambiguous or dodgy statements to maintain the "say no evil" approach. -- It is what it is. Don't try to sugar-coat it and make Mossberg out to be the savior of the levergun with THAT thing. :rolleyes:

for goodness sakes guys. this is NOT A NEW RIFLE!!!

it has been out for years, I have been reading about them for well over a year.
Tahunua, it was announced in early January 2012 and debuted at the SHOT show.

comn-cents
November 18, 2012, 11:00 PM
I like it, no wood to ding, you can't make it any uglier so no fear of dropping it.

tahunua001
November 18, 2012, 11:02 PM
interesting...seems like it's been longer than that...probably because these threads pop up so often that you could even guess the order and exact wording of the responder's comments.

jaysouth
November 18, 2012, 11:44 PM
There seems to be a place to hang the fuzzy dice, but where do the curb-feelers go?

Anyone remember static straps? Installed on this gun, it might give you some protection if lighting stikes your curb feelers.

Pat T
November 20, 2012, 02:21 PM
While it ain't pretty, I can see where this would have appeal to those who want a tactical rifle but live in one of the communist enclave states/cities that forbid an AR15.

coyota1
November 20, 2012, 03:58 PM
It appears to have a folding stock. In my state (Michigan), it would have to be registered as a pistol.

FrankenMauser
November 20, 2012, 04:53 PM
It appears to have a folding stock. In my state (Michigan), it would have to be registered as a pistol.
Six-position collapsible stock; not a folder.

interesting...seems like it's been longer than that...
It's been a long year, for a lot of us. :rolleyes:

thedudeabides
December 2, 2012, 08:45 AM
Went to look for another lever action on Black Friday...

Found countless of these hideous things, can't get single classic 464 in wood, tho.

ripnbst
December 2, 2012, 09:04 AM
While it ain't pretty, I can see where this would have appeal to those who want a tactical rifle but live in one of the communist enclave states/cities that forbid an AR15.

In most areas with gun laws that strict this would still be illegal. In most of those areas anything with a collapsible stock is illegal. Failboat is getting pretty full nowadays.

tahunua001
December 2, 2012, 02:25 PM
I feel sorry for the guys that want to own a foldup contender then.

I would love to see the guy try to argue that a single shot rifle is an assault weapon:D

Stevie-Ray
December 2, 2012, 08:19 PM
I like it, no wood to ding, you can't make it any uglier so no fear of dropping it. Like a lever action Glock.;)

Not my cup of joe, but as was said, I hope it sells like hotcakes.

coyota1
December 2, 2012, 09:22 PM
Six-position collapsible stock; not a folder.

I believe the over all length is the issue, and I can't find where I read the specs on what legally is a pistol, and what is a rifle.

FrankenMauser
December 3, 2012, 04:10 AM
I believe the over all length is the issue, and I can't find where I read the specs on what legally is a pistol, and what is a rifle.
16" barrel.
26" minimum overall length, in firing configuration.

(If the stock collapses or folds to an OAL shorter than 26"... the rifle cannot be capable of being fired in that configuration.)

coyota1
December 3, 2012, 03:56 PM
16" barrel.
26" minimum overall length, in firing configuration.

(If the stock collapses or folds to an OAL shorter than 26"... the rifle cannot be capable of being fired in that configuration.)

Is that state law, or federal law?

Single Six
December 3, 2012, 04:18 PM
I've only ever had one lever gun; a Marlin 1894SS that was about as reliable as a politician's promise. It left me kind of disillusioned with those types of rifles. That said, if I'd never had that negative experience, and were now instead out to find myself my first-ever lever action rifle....it wouldn't be this one. Geez, and I thought Glocks were ugly!:eek:

alex0535
December 3, 2012, 04:24 PM
My thoughts on that.... Just say no?

Regardless of how it functions its ugly, like it just sort of makes me cringe.

Single Six
December 5, 2012, 02:38 PM
Final thoughts on this one: I'm sure it's a great little rifle. If you like it, that's all that matters. For my part though, every time I look at the picture of it, and see all that tactical M4 stuff on a lever action rifle....what comes to mind is the same thing that I think when I see 2 dudes holding hands: "That is just plain wrong!":eek:

coyota1
December 5, 2012, 05:22 PM
what comes to mind is the same thing that I think when I see 2 dudes holding hands: "That is just plain wrong!"

Good analogy.

PatientWolf
December 5, 2012, 06:52 PM
It just makes me think of a "B" movie with person that is 1/2 robotic parts. Don't know why.

coyota1
December 5, 2012, 07:03 PM
If I were stranded in no mans land with that 30 30, all that criticism would be out the window.

PatientWolf
December 5, 2012, 08:03 PM
I also think I'd overlook some its "nonconformities" if it were offered in .308 or .44 and .357.

9mmhpfan
December 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
That rifle is so ugly it makes a Glock look beautiful by comparison and that is a hard feat to pull off.

Single Six
December 10, 2012, 03:56 PM
Coyota1: Thank you.:)

Nickel Plated
December 10, 2012, 06:25 PM
Yeah, unfortunately that thing has been around a while. It's not new.
Ugly as sin. Now I'm not a hater of tactical lever actions. I think they are an awesome concept and the one lever action I plan to get in my life will likely be tac'd-out. However it's all in the execution.

Here's a couple examples of sweet looking tactical lever guns:
http://imageshack.us/a/img24/6467/marlin336cstactical.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/marlin336cstactical.jpg/)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v345/hkuspelite45/GT/3de5e178.jpg

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/pagephotos/grizzly_custom_guns_backpacker_scout_marlin_package_lever_action_sbr_short_barreled_rifle_5.jpg

http://www.grizzlycustom.com/pagephotos/grizzly_custom_guns_tactical_marlin_1894_package_picatinny_rail_forend_scout_2.jpg

The thing Mossberg cobbled together is not one of them. It seems to them "tactical" just means M4 stock.

coyota1
December 10, 2012, 06:35 PM
The Henry was designed back around 1860 to be a "tactical" rifle, but I would bet that men probably didn't use that word back then. The words Assault and tactical as far as I'm concerned are more or less made up words.

barnbwt
December 10, 2012, 11:20 PM
"Ow" on that last rifle with the no handguard :P

Those do look better than the Mossy, I will agree :). I think the Mossberg looks mainly as bad as it does because of the telescoping stock. Looks...wrong. Like a discloated joint, or something *ewww*

TCB

coyota1
December 11, 2012, 02:42 AM
Or just imagine it with high intensity light, lazer, night sights, You could really feed your family, or protect your family.;)

Nickel Plated
December 12, 2012, 05:03 AM
A high intensity light and laser may be a good thing on the 464. It'll blind me so I don't have to look at it anymore. :D

Rifleman1952
December 12, 2012, 07:08 AM
My guess is that younger folks, who have grown up seeing and handling tactical looking rifles, would probably like the look. As an old timer, the traditional looking lever gun is much more appealing to me. However, the photos presented by Nickel Plated are far more appealing than the Mossberg version. I think it's the collapsible stock that just doesn't work with the Mossberg. I'm a big fan of Mossberg shotguns, so I hope their lever guns, in what ever version, turn out to be reliable and accurate.

coyota1
December 12, 2012, 09:14 AM
My guess is that younger folks, who have grown up seeing and handling tactical looking rifles, would probably like the look. As an old timer, the traditional looking lever gun is much more appealing to me.

I'm sure back when the Henry rifle came out some of the die hards saw it as I see these tactical levers, but even more so. They were raised on flint locks, and then saw a cartridge fed repeater. That would have been a lot to swallow.

Nickel Plated
December 12, 2012, 06:15 PM
It's funny how with all that rail-estate there is still no rail in the one place you would want it which is on top for mounting a scope.

But I guess when it comes to "tactical", lights, lasers, and under-slung grenade launchers are more important than aiming. :p

Hawg
December 15, 2012, 12:24 PM
Here's a couple examples of sweet looking tactical lever guns:

Ummm no, they are not.:rolleyes: