PDA

View Full Version : Marlin xl7 magazine issue?

baddarryl
November 15, 2012, 04:02 PM
The only thing I don't like about my xl7 is that the magazine doesn't load easily. I have to really pay attention to how I lay the cartridge in to seat right. It also likes 3 rather than 4 rounds in it. I can get them in, but that last one likes to seat with the bullet facing downhill a little bit so it is unable to chamber or eject. I can get it right, but it is not easy. It has to be slid forward or back to load sometimes. Anyone else have this problem or heard of it as an issue?

FrankenMauser
November 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
I don't have those problems with mine.

What is it chambered for?

Have you checked to make sure the magazine box is mated to the action properly, and the follower and spring are seated in the stock properly?

twins
November 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
I have 3 X7 variations (XL7-30/06, XS7/7-08, and X7VH/223). I've experienced what you're saying in the XL7 if I'm not careful in loading by feel (early morning, minimum light). After many loading, I'm used to its nuances by loading it slightly forward and sliding the ammo backward till it stops.

I don't have the problem with the short action calibers though. Which caliber are you having problem with?

baddarryl
November 15, 2012, 09:01 PM
.270, maybe it is just about the feel. My first bolt action that feeds a mag like this so maybe it is normal?

baddarryl
November 30, 2014, 08:32 PM
Hi Folks. OP here resurrecting this thread. Still having the same problem. I just can't get the rounds to seat right in the mag. Takes 2 fairly well, but the third is a real bear. It is making me want to sell an otherwise great rifle.

FrankenMauser
December 1, 2014, 12:44 AM
Sounds like it could be a bad magazine box or the wrong follower.

Have you had anyone look at it? (Gunsmith, or highly experienced firearms enthusiast.)

Orion6
December 3, 2014, 12:35 AM
Sometimes the follower or mag box itself needs to be tweaked. I had a M70 Ranger that I had to play with to get it to take 4 rounds and feed smooth.

It shot like a house a'fire though.

2ndtimer
December 4, 2014, 07:45 PM
I have noticed similar issues with my Marlin XL7 in 270 Win. It is a little picky about how you load the magazine, but like Twins said, if I load the rounds slightly forward and then push them rearward until they stop, if works fine. No problems with feeding if the rounds are loaded properly. And it shoots great, so I am willing to put up with the minor loading glitches, considering the price I paid. I care more about how it "unloads" the rounds, and my XL7 outshoots another of my rifles that I paid three times as much for. (it is easier to load the magazine on that one, though)

FrankenMauser
December 5, 2014, 02:02 AM
I just paid for a new, old stock XL7 in .270 Win. When it arrives (probably next week), I'll see if loading and feeding are notably different than my .30-06 XL7.

I doubt there will be much of a difference, but you never know....

With my '06 XL7, I also snap the cartridges into the magazine, and then push them to the rear. I never developed that practice due to a feeding issue or loading issue, though. It's just the best way (for me) to load it.

baddarryl
December 5, 2014, 09:58 AM
I just played with it a little more and think I finally have the feel. While a total PITA it took them. Will letting the mag sit for a few weeks loaded reduce the pressure?