PDA

View Full Version : 7.65 Argentine Mauser bore sight??

Tokentowely
November 14, 2012, 02:14 PM
Hi, we have an old 7.65 Argentine Mauser that has been a good rifle for many years, but has been having major accuracy issues for a while. Not sure if it's due to the rifling, the scope, or some other issue.

Is there a bore sight availible for purchase that would work? I have looked around, but cannot find one in the 7.65 cal. Would a .308 bore sight work? I believe the caliber is similar, as I think 7.65 comes out to .311. It's close anyways, and at over $1 per shell, looking for a way to determine the issue with the rifle.

Any info greatly appreciated, Thanks!

1 old 0311-1
November 14, 2012, 02:21 PM
When solving a problem you make ONE change at a time. Start with a THOROUGH cleaning, and polishing, the bore. Shoot it, and go to step B.

10-96
November 14, 2012, 06:10 PM
I don't think a bore sighter would help you a whole lot. It'll give you a ballpark idea of where the scope is looking in relation to the bore, but that's sighting, not accuracy. If the rifle shoots small groups some place other than where you're aiming- that's the scope. If it flings shots all over the place- that's another story.

Do you still have the iron sights on the rifle? You can verify with those. Are the bolts which hold the action to the stock good and equally tight?

Is there any way to try a different scope? And speaking of scope, I assume you've double checked all the mounting hardware and screws?

And, is there a chance you were thinking of a bore SCOPE? One of those would let you see the inside of the barrel, but really tells the average Joe nothing if he does not know what he's looking for.

One option to see if the stock has warped or is somehow affecting the barrel- Cut a piece of hard plastic about the thickness of a credit card into a 3/8"x3/4" , pull the stock off, and place the plastic in front of the recoil lug area where the receiver flat rests flat on the stock. Now tighten everything down. If the groups come together, you'll know the rifle will benefit from either bedding or free-floating (or both if you choose). If it does not help, then I would think it's the barrel. There's a cheaper rout to try on that that is overlooked a lot these days. Take the rifle to a gunsmith and have him counter-bore the muzzle back 3/4". What this does is remove any bad things, errosion, or wear that may have happened to or developed to the crown or muzzle. It'll be cheaper than a new barrel. And it adds new life to old mil-surps that have seen a lot of use and/or abuse. I was told that it was a pretty common practice back in the day before 1903, Garand, and M1 Carbine replacement barrels were readily available.

4V50 Gary
November 14, 2012, 06:12 PM
Handload some ammunition and see if you can tighten up the groups.

Factory ammo really varies. I have a No. 4 (T) which was supposed to get a 2" group at 100 yards (WW II standards). It got 6" with some Indian made ammo. I thought the gun was messed up but the gunsmith recommended that I try different ammunition. So, I bought some commercial stuff and the group went down immediately to 1 1/2".

sc928porsche
November 16, 2012, 02:53 AM
Give the rifle a thorough cleaning and check all the mount screws. Also while you are at it, check the crown of the muzzle for any dings etc. You can clean up the crown by using the Head of a large brass screw (half round head) and some polishing compound (can get at auto parts store) and chuck in drill and dress up the crown. You Tube should have some examples of this.

Tokentowely
November 17, 2012, 01:04 PM
Thnks for the feedback, we'll see if it can be rectified. Kinda sounds like we should take it to a knowledgeable gunsmith if we get not results.

BillyBeards
November 17, 2012, 01:40 PM
I second the idea of trying different ammo. I have a sporterized Argentine Mauser and every type of ammo I've tried shoots vastly different groups.

Mobuck
November 18, 2012, 09:07 PM
What would a bore sighter do for failing accuracy?

darkroommike
November 27, 2012, 10:59 AM
Slug your barrel, measure your factory ammo. There are threads to help you with both. You may be a candidate for handloads. The jacketed stuff you buy is "SAAMI'd" to safely shoot in the tightest bore.