PDA

View Full Version : Schweden-Mauser M38

FC-Fan
November 14, 2012, 01:13 PM
After three months absence caused by the barrel change my swedish rifle is back now with a new barrel from Lothar-Walter.

10-96
November 14, 2012, 05:44 PM
Looks like it turned out and came back really well. Nice looking rifle- I'd kinda forgot I have one (1908) of those that needs some quality time spent with it.
Thanks for the post and photos.

Ozzieman
November 14, 2012, 06:16 PM
Nice, if you don’t mind me asking, how much?
10-96>> I like your lower comment on the 45 LONG COLT. The next time someone jumps on you (and me) show them the following photo.

Baba Louie
November 15, 2012, 08:20 AM
A 1900 Obie? Sweet little 96/38 FC-Fan. Kind of rare as well.

How does it shoot now? I'm betting, superbly.

FC-Fan
November 15, 2012, 01:12 PM
I had to pay 590 € (about 750 $)for the change of the barrel. Economically speaking madness but it was my first large caliber rifle. And Lothar Walther produces one of the best barrels here in Germany.
At the moment i still do not know how it shoots but on saturday it want to try it;)

Baba Louie
November 15, 2012, 01:56 PM
Range Report! Range Report, when you can FC.

Might shoot high at 100yds/Ms, as I think the original sights were zero'd for 300. (yds or meters dunno, but should be similar no matter measuring stick). You do know the Swedish Mausers in 6.5SE were and are known to be quite accurate. I'd expect no less with the new barrel.

Do let us know please.

Ozzieman
November 15, 2012, 08:15 PM
Economically speaking madness

Economics has nothing to do with hobbies and this is sure true for guns.
I have a S&W Model 28 made into a 44 Special with a Douglas barrel of 3 inches and several other mods.
The gun cost me (in the 80’s) 300$ the entire work by a very good gunsmith was another 400$
700$ In 80’s money is something like $100,000,000 in today’s money.
If it make you happy and shoots well (I hope so) who cares about the price.
Nice gun you have.

FC-Fan
November 18, 2012, 05:33 AM
The best result yesterday was about 5 cm at 100 m over the open sights.
My vision has deteriorated due to age. I`ll probably still have to mount a scope.

Baba Louie
November 18, 2012, 09:21 AM
My vision has deteriorated due to age. I`ll probably still have to mount a scope.5 cm @ 100m's? Muahaha. My old eyes should be so lucky. Good shooting methinks FC. Nothing wrong w/ 2MOA on your initial outing, borderline superb actually. What results were you expecting with open, ancient sights? <MOA? (blame the wind, always works for me) ;)

Bench, from a rest, prone, sitting, etc? Please don't tell me off hand, please. Actually that'd be a feat unto itself and I'd love to hear you say Ja, standing, no sling... :D

How many rounds? Handloads or factory fodder?

I mean, it IS a 112 year old rifle (except the barrel and you gotta break that in properly)... right? ;)

FC-Fan
November 18, 2012, 12:05 PM
Of course:lying free hand with the sling. I shot about 40 rounds factory ammo from S&B 140grain. I always shoot freehand exept my tikka with scope.Aktually i had expected about 3 cm. That does not seem arrogant, i just have to shoot freehand on competitions.
Next time i will try Norma-Ammo. Maybe thats the better choice for the rifle.;)

Slamfire
November 21, 2012, 10:11 AM
Nice rifle! Looks great and all original.

This is what I did with a M1896, Swedish Ball, and a factory barrel. You are shooting well inside this group.

Excellent shooting.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v479/SlamFire/Targets/M1896SwedishBallAmmoDSCN3237.jpg

Chainsawjames
November 21, 2012, 03:02 PM
beautiful...

FC-Fan
December 1, 2012, 11:58 AM
Today i started a new experiment with new ammo from Top-Shot (a private label from frankonia, germany produced by norma). 130 gr. HPBT-Bullet. An lo and behold the was in maximum in diameter 3 cm.:)
A good day on the range:)

Baba Louie
December 1, 2012, 03:06 PM
A good day on the range Yessir, sounds like it was a pretty fine day at the range.

3 cm. Holy Crap :eek:

That boy can shoot a little, eh? Excellent sir, my hat's off to you.

Jimro
December 1, 2012, 07:30 PM
FC Fan,

Do you shoot with a Swede issue sling? Or an aftermarket sling.

Jimro

FC-Fan
December 2, 2012, 04:20 AM
Hi Jimro!

I always shoot with the original sling which is mounted on the gun since i bought it in 1987. You can see the sling on the fotos above.
The same i do with my K31 where the original W+F-Diopter is mounted.

Jimro
December 2, 2012, 09:16 AM
Nice! I bought some milsurp slings for my Swedes, but I haven't been to the range to use them yet. Do you use a "Hasty Sling" setup?

Jimro

FC-Fan
December 2, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ups, i dont know what a hasty sling is. I use the original sling wrapped around the upper arm.

Baba Louie
December 2, 2012, 09:57 AM
...dont know what a hasty sling is. I use the original sling wrapped around the upper arm.Probably the same thing as I understand things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib8OeQdwFEY

FC-Fan
December 2, 2012, 10:51 AM
Thanks Baba Louie!

That´s how i meant it how do i use the sling. And now i know what a "hasty-sling" is ;)