PDA

View Full Version : Ruger Gunsite Scout .308

DATL
November 11, 2012, 11:14 PM
Hey everyone,

A couple weeks ago a local gun shop had a .308 Ruger Gun Site Scout on the rack. Last week it was still there. I just couldn't help myself and had to scoop it up! I grew up reading Cooper's Corner in the back of my grandad's Guns & Ammo magazines- so have always been fond of Jeff Cooper and his ideas about the Scout concept. Not to mention I am a huge Ruger fan. Given that it was an obvious choice!

So far I'm loving it! I really like the look, feel, and fit/finish of it. I really enjoy shooting it so much more than any other bolt gun I have ever had! The magazine, picatinny rail, and flash hider adds to the fun. I didn't know how I'd like the forward mounting option with the scope/red-dot, but i'm loving it.

I put a little UTG Red/Green dot on it for the time being as you can see in the pic. So far so good though admittedly I've only had a chance to shoot it a few times in the same day, and only out to about 100-150 yards or so. It hit everything I aimed at, but I'm excited to see how far out I can meet my target with this thing.

The action is not as smooth as my M77 or Kimber 8400 but maybe it'll smooth out the more I shoot it. If not I can have it smoothed out but it's not a big deal. It's still fun as hell to shoot.

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/gcwaterski/IMG_3937.jpg

rallyhound
November 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
I absolutely hate bolt action guns. I have no use for them for hunting.

I may have to get a scout.

jmortimer
November 11, 2012, 11:49 PM
I would like to have one. Makes a lot of sense on many levels. Good pick-up

DATL
November 12, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hey thank you! Honestly that's the thought process I was using when considering buying it- I felt like it just made sense for me in my scenario. I have nothing against assault rifles, and I understand the usefulness of them. But I wanted a bolt gun which is super simple to maintain, can shoot a generous sized caliber, hold more than 3 or so bullets, and is not so long where I could not maneuver around with is should I have to.

After seeing the speed at which a few of the "guru's" at the local range could cycle through a bolt action rifle with accuracy- I knew that it was possible to use one in MANY different scenarios.

Funny thing though- I saw a video (one of the first that came up in my search) where this one very popular (amateur?) online gun reviewer guy was absolutely STRUGGLING to manipulate the bolt action on one of these rifles. I am so happy I researched more after seeing that! He would shoot, look down at the rifle almost confused, clumsily manipulate the bolt/slide, look up, re-aim, etc... I am an amateur for sure but know it is/should NOT be like that operating a bolt action rifle. I have seen it done so much better! I think the gun was not tacticool looking enough for the guy which is part of the allure for me! When you clip in the five round magazine, the rifle does not look suspicious even one bit.

DATL
November 12, 2012, 01:07 PM
Rallyhound, I feel ya completely! I don't really hunt myself! My biggest qualm with bolt action rifles was the ammo capacity. I personally feel insecure with a (3) round capacity in some other boltys. Heck, when I initially saw this rifle I was there looking at mini-14's (and will still get one). But my allure to this bolt action rifle is that it is SO much more fun looking/shooting than any other bolty I have personally played with lol. Being a bolty it is SO simple to maintain, and I have seen them at the range eat everything to the cheapest, dirty, bulk ammo that you can find. Would it by my "only rifle could I have only one?" I dunno. Could it be? Absolutely :)

L_Killkenny
November 12, 2012, 03:25 PM
Glad you like it, have fun and I'm sure it will serve you well for years to come. Me? You probably don't want and definitely don't need my opinion one this one.

Good Luck.

PatientWolf
November 12, 2012, 06:21 PM
I love the concept, if not the gun. I really wish it was offered in SS. the only other significant issue I see with it is as you pointed out, the trigger isn't getting very good reviews. That being said, if I run across one at the right price...

trg42wraglefragle
November 12, 2012, 07:04 PM
Have you shot any groups with it?
I've looked all around for actual accuracy but just get told the factory claimed accuracy?

DATL
November 12, 2012, 07:33 PM
L_KILLKENNY thanks! Hey it's no worries man you can leave your opinion on it! I haven't found a perfect rifle to fit all needs ever so I'm not defensive about this one! (a M1A Socom was not in my budget- but as far as I can tell that may be my ideal rifle :))

DATL
November 12, 2012, 07:57 PM
PatientWolf I here ya, I am on a SS kick right now also. I don't mind this one not being SS because the black is more camouflaged. While I don't have any qualms with the trigger this may be because I am just now really getting more serious with rifles- I have always been more into handguns. But I like how Col. Cooper said "handguns are just to fight yourself back to your rifle" LOL. Additionally, I have a Ruger M77 30-06 so I very well may just be used to these triggers if they're similar.

trg42wraglefragle, I'm hoping to get some serious shooting in next weekend! If so I'll try and get some data back on it! I hear this short 16" barrel is going to bring the range in quite a bit for this .308. I have not had much practice out past 300-400 yards or so even with my 300 WSM, so it may not affect me for some time!

WildBill45
November 12, 2012, 08:42 PM
I like them. I looked one over at the local gun shop! My scout rifle is my O3'A3 with a synthetic stock...

I may one someday, as the design is attractive!

nimbleVagrant
November 13, 2012, 01:54 AM
My local Freddies has 'em in stock. I glance at the rack from afar, but in general I try to avoid the gun counter. I really don't need to spend $800 on a toy right now.

MLeake
November 13, 2012, 02:01 AM
I had been told the noise was punishing from the Scout. How do you find it? (Since you didn't mention it, I'll assume it's not as bad as I've heard, but it would be better to hear it from the shooter.)

PatientWolf
November 13, 2012, 07:09 AM
I'd assume it was loud. Though, if that flash hider was unthreaded and a suppressor was threaded on in its place...:D

Crow Hunter
November 13, 2012, 08:53 AM
I like the concept, but not the execution.

What I would have preferred to see:

-18" bbl, even that is punishingly loud. (Comparison SCAR 17 vs Larue PredatAR with 18" bbl with the same AAC Blackout FH)
-Conventional scope mounting position that didn't require removal the rear iron sights.
-Lighterweight polymer stock instead of the heavy laminate stock. As it is, it is nearly as heavy as a semi, which would be my only reason to chose a bolt over a semi.

I am hoping this will be popular enough that we will a model with the options above.

It is very nice looking though.

Let us know how it shoots.

TheBear
November 13, 2012, 09:28 AM
I own one of those myself! Great rifle, ive shot .5" groups at 120yards with it using handloaded ammo. The action gets more smooth after 100 shots or so. Love this rifle, its a rock solid, compact, pretty accurate .308 and thats basically all you need.

however, im with crow hunter concerning the scope mount, i had to remove the rear iron sight because i have my scope mounted on the conventional position + i had to remove the forward rail because of the scope (3-9x40)...
no backup sights on a scout rifle...thats a bad thing.

+ the barrel could be a little more heavy for my taste, its getting pretty hot after 5 shots, the groups open up. the little extra weight wouldnt bother me.
in an emergency or hunting situation you shouldnt need more than 5 shot though...

trg42wraglefragle
November 13, 2012, 02:58 PM
Is there any way you could modify a pair off flip up sights from an AR 15 so you can have a conventional scope mount and the open sites?

Single Six
November 13, 2012, 03:18 PM
A late welcome to TFL. Congratulations on your fine purchase; it's what I'm dreaming of. I now officially hate you!;) But seriously, enjoy. I plan to get mine ASAP. My plan is to buy it, and then send it off to Mahovsky's Metalife for application of their matte-silver finish...I don't care for blued finishes. Afterward, some distant, inanimate targets are in serious jeopardy!:D

jmr40
November 13, 2012, 03:36 PM
I too prefer a low powered scope mounted conventionally. Coopers main reason for the forward mount was to be able to use stripper clips to rapidy reload a military style bolt gun, not for better optics. With the Rugers DBM there is no reason to use a forward mounted optic. A low powered scope conventionally mounted is faster at close range and more accurate at long range.

A regular rear sight mounted on the barrel with a scope in QD mounts would have been better in my opinion. But at least with the Ruger the rear peep sits in the rear scope dovetail. It could be carried in a pocket or pack and replaced fairly quickly after removing a conventionally mounted scope. An 18-20" barrel minus the flash hider and a lightweight stock would make more sense to me.

After seeing the speed at which a few of the "guru's" at the local range could cycle through a bolt action rifle with accuracy- I knew that it was possible to use one in MANY different scenarios.

With practice a bolt gun is amazingly fast to shoot. I've done a little work with another person timing me and can get off 3 shots in 1.8 seconds with my bolt guns. Very little slower than the levers which run around 1.5 seconds for 3 shots.

Willie Sutton
November 13, 2012, 03:47 PM
Having worked one-on-one with Colonel Cooper on the Scout Rifle concept in the 1980's, and having a few of the original prototypes in my safe, here is what I believe Jeff would have said about the Ruger;

What they have managed to manufacture is a modern Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine with a forward scope mount, not a Scout Rifle as defined at Gunsite during the Scout Rifle conferences. It's close... but it's not a Scout Rifle.

Those who think that it should have a rear-mounted scope do not understand the Scout Rifle concept at all. Ditto those who favor the extended magazine.
Or the lack of a bipod.
Or the lack of a mid-mounted flush sling attachment point for a Ching Sling.
Or the presence of a conventional front sight, rather than one mounted on the forward edge of the front scope mount.

etc., etc...

Hate to be a scrooge, and I am VERY sure it's a VERY nice rifle, but it misses being a true Scout Rifle by a mile.

BTW, the Enfield Jungle Carbine was one of the rifles that we studied when coming up with the concept. Ditto the Remington 660, and the Krag Jorgensen. Each had it's own strong points and weak points. They were all studied in detail. Jeff's own personal "proto-scout" had a short CZ action. ine was built on the Remington Model 7 action. Neither was perfect. Only the Steyr Scout is a definitive Scout Rifle as defined by the Colonel.

Willie

GeauxTide
November 13, 2012, 09:33 PM
I was intrigued by the LH edition, but the price was out of bounds. I bought a Scout Squad.

TheBear
November 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
Willie Sutton:
Why dont you post some pictures of the scout rifle prototypes that you have in your safe? Im very curious...

robertsig
November 14, 2012, 09:58 AM
I couldn't get past the mere 16" barrel on a .308. Yikes.

I built my own Scout'ish rifle with a Tikka T3 CTR (20") and a new CDI bottom metal to support 10rd mags. It's perfect.

Crow Hunter
November 14, 2012, 11:03 AM
Having worked one-on-one with Colonel Cooper on the Scout Rifle concept in the 1980's, and having a few of the original prototypes in my safe, here is what I believe Jeff would have said about the Ruger;

What they have managed to manufacture is a modern Lee Enfield Jungle Carbine with a forward scope mount, not a Scout Rifle as defined at Gunsite during the Scout Rifle conferences. It's close... but it's not a Scout Rifle.

Those who think that it should have a rear-mounted scope do not understand the Scout Rifle concept at all. Ditto those who favor the extended magazine.
Or the lack of a bipod.
Or the lack of a mid-mounted flush sling attachment point for a Ching Sling.
Or the presence of a conventional front sight, rather than one mounted on the forward edge of the front scope mount.

etc., etc...

Hate to be a scrooge, and I am VERY sure it's a VERY nice rifle, but it misses being a true Scout Rifle by a mile.

BTW, the Enfield Jungle Carbine was one of the rifles that we studied when coming up with the concept. Ditto the Remington 660, and the Krag Jorgensen. Each had it's own strong points and weak points. They were all studied in detail. Jeff's own personal "proto-scout" had a short CZ action. ine was built on the Remington Model 7 action. Neither was perfect. Only the Steyr Scout is a definitive Scout Rifle as defined by the Colonel.

Willie

I understand Coopers design. I also disagree with many of his requirements.

-Forward mounted scope sounds great in practice, it is lousy in usage other than as a "red dot" type optic and it is inferior to that in my experience. If I am going to lose most of the magnification advantage, I might as well get the no parallax advantage/improved visibility of aiming point of the red dot. Besides, with a small magnified optic like a 2-7X33 you still have most of the peripheral vision of the forward mounted optic with a much better magnified view. Yes you lose stripper loading ability, but you have detachable magazines.;)

-Bipod. Why? It isn't going to be something that you are running round extended all the time, if you have time to deploy and set up a bipod, you have time to setup a good shooting postion on a rock, log, backpack, etc and you aren't limited by the height of the bipod.

-Load one, shoot one. Again, why? This was proven a useless feature in WWI, to the point of potentially being a liability if you had the cut-off engaged when you really didn't need it to be. With detachable mags, just swap to a new magazine when you run empty and keep a full magazine "in reserve" for an emergency. (Better continuation of training since magazines are changed all the time, magazine disconnect, probably not that often)

-Ching Sling. Neat concept. Not that useful in my experience. If I have time to "sling up", I have time to build a good shooting position using a conventional sling or move to a point that I can get a good rest. If I don't have time to sling up, I need to make a shot right now, which means I need to get a flash sight picture and pull the trigger not grabbing a sling and threading my arm through it.

I do like the light weight, bolt action, detachable magazine, fixed front sight features though, flash suppressor (I would prefer it was removable so a combo flash/suppressor mount could be substituted. Like an AAC Blackout)

I would want it with a rear sight that would allow the use of either a conventional or forward mount (fold down or pop up), semi flush fit detachable magazines, controlled round feed action, light weight polymer stock.

Like the Steyr Scout without the bipod, extraneous sling point, magazine cut-off although I do like the option of having a 2nd magazine in the stock. (Except the ridiculously high price)

But, I am just a shooter. I don't have the experiences that Col Cooper did, so he probably knows something that I don't.

Art Eatman
November 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
I put a couple of mag's worth through a friend's Ruger Scout. Forward mount scope. Looks to me to be as good a walking-hunting gun or truck gun as a person could ever want. Me, I'd use a 4- or 5-round mag, though. I like to carry a rifle at the balance point when I don't sling it on my shoulder.

robertsig
November 14, 2012, 09:52 PM
These might be a nice alternative to a .308 Scout rifle. I wonder how accurate they are.

http://www.classicfirearms.com/long-guns?caliber=48

bamaranger
November 16, 2012, 03:27 AM
I read and clipped about everything Cooper ever wrote (at least published) on "Scouts", and I had to have one. But who could afford a Steyr or custom 'smith work? Not me, that's for sure.

When the Savage Scout came, out, I could afford that. It 'missed" as well, length and weight wise, no bipod, but it was the only affordable factory option.

The Ruger Frontier is a trim light little package, I had to resist one about a month ago, used, at a big shop an hour from home.

The new Gunsite Scout is now an affordable factory option. I don't like the big box (4+1 of .308 will solve all my problems) nor the flash hider, but its an improvement on the Savage, not as sleek as the Frontier.

I'm beginning to think that the modern dot has eclipsed the 'scout scope" in utility. Such things did not exist (I don't think so anyhow) in reliable, compact form when Cooper did his initial stuff. And he did not like battery powered optics, period. But tiime has proven the modern dot is tough and here to stay.

Something like a Leupold Delta, or a Fastfire, mounted IER like a scoutscope, may be the next step in the evolution of the scout.

ATCDoktor
November 16, 2012, 05:11 AM
I purchased Ruger GSR about a year or so ago and it has become my most used 308 caliber rifle.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/001-2.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/004-7.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/004-1.jpg

It is light, fast handling and carries well in the field and has sufficient magazine capacity to deal with most hunting and social situations that arise in the field (I live and hunt about 10 miles from the Mexican Border).

With regards to sighting systems, I have used the factory supplied adjustable sights, forward mounted Burris Fast Fire, a Weaver 2X handgun scope and conventionally (rear) mounted rifle scopes and all have worked well for me.

It is accurate with any decent ammo and it will turn in groups of less than an inch if I do my part.

I find that I get the best accuracy with bullets of 165 grains and heavier and groups tighten considerably with my handloads when the bullets are seated out to match the length of the magazine.

A lot of people ask whether they should buy the Ruger GSR or the Springfiled Armory Scout version of the M1A and to me it is an apples to oranges comparison.

That said as an owner of both platforms, who has hunted with both I will share the following:

Out of the box, the Ruger GSR blows the M1A away with respect to accuracy, ease of handling, weight distribution, trigger pull and will handle any 308/7.62X51 caliber ammo you can find with no need to defer to a gas system.

The Ruger Scout can be conventionally scoped without the use of secondary mounting system and when conventionally scoped it lends itself to a conventional cheek weld that requires no strange placement of the head/face or secondary cheek pad to administrate.

The barrel is factory threaded for use of a suppressor (if your so inclined) so there is no need to spend an additional 250 bucks for 5/8X24 suppressor interface and an adustable gas plug to get it to run with a Silencer in place.

With regards to cost, for the the price of an M1A Scout I can buy a Ruger GSR and 600-800 rounds of Federal Gold Medal Match, shoot for 6 or 8 months and have a pile of quality brass left over for reloading.

To me, the only advantage the M1A has over the GSR is magazine capacity and sustained rate of fire.

Now, I'm not bashing the M1A (I have 3, the SOCOM II, the Scout and the full sized loaded model with Stainless BBL) and appreciate the platform as much as anybody else but having spent days carrying both in the field, the Ruger GSR suits me and my needs a whole lot better.

M1A pics to appease those so oriented

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/000_0006.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/011-1.jpg

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c307/ATCDoctor/046.jpg

About the only thing that I would change on my Ruger GSR would be the addition of a tactical bolt knob. I find that the factory bolt knob small and easy to miss when running the bolt from the shoulder.

I am by no means stating that the Ruger GSR is "The Perfect Rifle" but for me it covers a whole lot of bases in one package for a reasonable price.

alex0535
November 16, 2012, 11:08 AM
Something just sort of irks me about the scope being mounted so far forward. Maybe its just being so familiar with a conventionally mounted magnifying optic.

Although to the poster above me, The Burris fast-fire looks really awesome on it. I own one and I think its an awesome little reflex sight.

trg42wraglefragle
November 16, 2012, 03:28 PM
ATCDoktor, What sort of accuracy have you gotten from your Ruger?

ATCDoktor
November 16, 2012, 03:36 PM
ATCDoktor, What sort of accuracy have you gotten from your Ruger?

Conventionally scoped with my hand loads and prepped brass I can get 3/4" groups at 100 yards.

That's with bullets of 165 to 175 grains seated out to reflect the full length of the magazine.

DATL
November 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
ATCDoktor, I like your style! The M1A is my favorite semi-auto rifle of all time. When the budget permits I will own one! I am a sucker for the one in the ad with the digital camo [wolf wistle].

DATL
November 16, 2012, 11:55 PM
@ MLeake, it was loud but I wasn't thinking about it in reference to anything else when last shot. Next time I go shooting I'll compare it with a few other rifles. There's a lot of app's to measure volume in the apple appstore- I may see if they work and what this GSR is working with!

@ Single Six, Ha ha thanks! Don't feel bad I felt the same way when I saw that guy's BADA$$ M1A LOL (j/k ATCDoktor) I think matte-silver would be awesome. I'm a duracoat junky myself.

@ alex0535, the front mounted scopes aren't for everyone! I gotta say though so far I LOVE the metal sights without any sort of optic. I'm going to play with several options, but thus far with having a little red-dot I LOVE the forward mounted optic. It's amazing how much easier it is to shoot with both eyes open. Again though it's still not for everyone!

DATL
November 17, 2012, 12:03 AM
@ Crow Hunter, you have some REALLY good points that were pretty thought provoking for me! You actually changed my plan for this rifle and probably have saved me some money! (Re: bipod, ching-sling, etc...) Hopefully I can get a chance to play with a ching sling to see what it's like. I don't mind the 16" barrel so far- I think it's great looking with the flash hider. But I can def. see the benefits of the 18" offering like the Aussie's get. I think the laminate stock is awesome but must admit the first thing I did when I brought the GSR home was to google to see if there were any light polymer stock options. I'm sort of torn because I really like the looks of the laminate, but the polymer would surely be lighter- which would be a win on a "scout" rifle!

Crow Hunter
November 17, 2012, 10:17 AM
Glad that I helped.

Keep us posted on what you do and how you like it.

WhitSpurzon
November 18, 2012, 02:38 PM
I sure like mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDD3zFixb2g

Very versatile. Shoots a wide variety of loads very well. Subsonic and Supersonic, Jacketed and Cast, Light and Heavy.

I've had the best luck with 165 gr or Jacketed bullets and the best load in mine has been a Max published charge of IMR3031 (2573 fps average).

My best subsonic load is a 220 grain cast bullet - Lyman 311284 - over W231 and pushed to just under 1,000 fps. Very accurate and impressively hard hitting on steel.

TheBear
November 18, 2012, 03:31 PM
Great video WhitSpurzon!

How much of W231 do you use under the 220gr cast bullet?

Any of you know about the export version of the ruger scout? It has a 2" longer barrel and no muzzle thread.
http://www.scoutrifle.org/index.php?topic=1386.0

seeker_two
November 18, 2012, 10:38 PM
What I would have preferred to see:

-18" bbl, even that is punishingly loud. (Comparison SCAR 17 vs Larue PredatAR with 18" bbl with the same AAC Blackout FH) -Conventional scope mounting position that didn't require removal the rear iron sights. -Lighterweight polymer stock instead of the heavy laminate stock. As it is, it is nearly as heavy as a semi, which would be my only reason to chose a bolt over a semi.

Ditto. I've thought of buying a Ruger American .308, cutting & crowning the barrel at 18", and adding BUIS to achieve that goal. And I think it could be done for under a GSR's MSRP....

DATL
November 20, 2012, 10:53 PM
Seeker_two I thought about doing something similar with a really old M77 I have. I just don't think there is a way to make it have a magazine. I didn't realize the Ruger American had a Mag. I need to polish up on my reading! Though I admittedly I'm very new to rifles as handguns have been my main distraction the last ten years.

DMacLeod
November 23, 2012, 05:21 PM
I have one and really like it. Tried an eotech 512 on it but ended up with a Leupold FX II instead. The eotech went back on my AR where it came from.

DMacLeod
November 23, 2012, 05:40 PM
Here's a couple of picshttp://http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/dvmcld/deer-1.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/dvmcld/scout_zps34925310.jpg

I really like the ruger poly mags.

DMacLeod
November 23, 2012, 05:42 PM
oops, first pic didn't make it.Let's try again.http://http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/dvmcld/deer-1.jpg

http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b426/dvmcld/deer.jpg

jimbob86
November 23, 2012, 05:52 PM
A low powered scope conventionally mounted is faster at close range and more accurate at long range.

I find "both eyes open" shooting with a conventionally mounted 3x scope gives me a splitting headache from eyestrain- my right eyes focusing on an image close to it and the left out at the target is not going to work for me.

"Eyes on target" shooting with a scout scoped rifle is a wonderful thing, once you master it.....

I have a Ruger Frontier in 7-08, with a Leupold IER on it. It's a Keeper. When I get a suppressor for it, it will be the "Perfect Kid's Deer Gun".

Art Eatman
November 23, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cooper stated that in competition "shoot and scoot" runs at Gunsite, those with the forward-mount scope scored higher. Granted, you need to have practiced with what to you might be a new system, but c'est la vie.

I've not done well with a forward mount scope, trying a friend's Savage Scout, offhand shooting. But I'd had some forty years of using conventionally mounted scopes and no prior use of the forward-mount system. I figure it just takes practice, getting used to a new idea. From the bench with another friend's Ruger Scout, some years later than with the Savage (last year, with the Ruger) I was doing okay with slow fire on steel at 200 yards and decent groups at 100.

I dunno. All in all, it's a pretty good rig.

DATL
November 26, 2012, 08:20 PM
DMacLeod nice looking rig! So far which scope setup do you like the best? I'm torn on the direction I want to go on my GSR. I want a good medium setup between a close quarters .223 assault rifle and a longer range setup 30-06 with a good scope. If that makes any sense. LOL.

How's the quality of those poly mags compared to the metal? I hear a lot of guys are preferring the poly so I suppose they must be pretty good!

DMacLeod
November 27, 2012, 06:38 PM
I like the Leupold set up best. No buttons to play with.

boattale
November 28, 2012, 10:43 PM
Honesty compels me to opine that I find extended box magazines on bolt rifles clunky and ugly and forward mounted scopes less than optimal. Scout rifles are an interesting concept with limited real world utility. Similar to ching slings.

DATL
November 29, 2012, 08:00 PM
boattale, I completely understand the looks and forward mounted scope certainly aren't for everyone. I just get so bored with rifles that look like "grandad's ole aught six", then I also get bored of seeing suburban commando's super elite 50lb sniper rifle with a telescope mounted on the top. I don't find much utility in either of those extremes. (I know that's not what you were implying)

I do feel the scout rifle is ALL about utility though. I have even heard many people refer to it as a "utility rifle". I find utility in the concept of a light weight rifle, a magazine with greater capacity than 3, a picatinny rail, peep sights, short barrel, .308 (or 30-06...or any good sized and common ammo). But then again, I do not enjoy bench shooting for sub MOA. I get too bored, and I certainly get too bored when I have to reload every three or so shots. Oh, and did I mention Jeff Cooper is God :p

Model12Win
December 2, 2012, 04:03 AM
I've been VERY interested in this rifle since it came out, but haven't been stateside long enough to ever find one. I personally would like to see a variant with an 18-20" barrel, no flash suppressor. Also I have read and watched a few videos stating the Ruger M77s and Gunsite Scouts can have a binding bolt if the bolt throw isn't done in a particular fashion.

To me a bolt gun that would be used for any type of defense NEEDS a smooth and fast, trouble-free bolt if at all possible. Have you had any problems with your gun's bolt binding?

Chettt
December 2, 2012, 09:36 AM
I've only handled them in the store but they seem way overpriced for a bolt action 308. It would be perfect at $400 but they want to add $400 for marketing hype.

DATL
December 3, 2012, 09:28 PM
Model12Win, I think the 18 barrel would be awesome. I see the Aussies get a variant like that, with no suppressor. Wonder if it'll come stateside!

In regards to the action binding- I am not sure if that means a failure to load a cartridge into the chamber, to cycle at all, or just an inconvenient "catch" or "hitch" when cycling the bolt. I have not experienced any sort of "hang up" while shooting this rifle if that helps. Out of the box it did not cycle super smooth. But it did not cycle so rough that I was worried or felt it inhibited me from cycling quick and efficiently. Many of the guys I shoot with have had their GSR's for a couple of years, and their GSR's got much smoother the more they shot them. If you see someone struggling to cycle one of these things (there's a video review where a popular tacticool guy does)- either they have a bad one and need to call ruger, or need to practice shooting a bolty a little more.

I will however admit my Kimber 8400 in 300WSM cycled significantly smoother out of the box...albeit significantly more expensive. The only M77 I have shot is one that I inherited my father. It was made in the 1970's and it is smooth as butter- much smoother than the Kimber even FWIW. I would see if you can rent a GSR at a range to see if you like it! That is, if you see value in the concept of it. If you don't see the value in a "scout" styled rifle then you most definetly won't like it!

DATL
December 16, 2012, 01:33 AM
Chettt, It made me feel better about the price of the GSR by comparing it to the other Ruger offerings and the other scout rifle comparables. For example, the cheapest .308 Ruger you can get new is the American .308. It's @ around what $350 or so online? No mauser type extractor, peep sites (or any sights), picatinny rail, flash hider, or 10 round magazine. The model line jumps up to the M77's at, what no less than $550 or so online? These at least have the Mauser type extractor but still have floor plates and no 10 round mag's, metal sights, etc, etc...

I'm sure the sum of the extra goodies on the GSR aren't $200 over the M77. But when you add a flash hider, metal sights, picatinny rail, and detachable magazines- the price would have to at least be higher... than an M77. For me it was worth it. Nevertheless I'm sure there is some hype to the price.

In regards to the other manufacturers of scout rifles Steyr was out of the question for me due to price. So I felt that really only left me to consider Savage. Personally I'm just not as big of a Savage fan as I am Ruger. But their rifle is at least comparable to the GSR in form/function. Theirs is a little bit cheaper- like $50 to $100 less, I think? (correct me if I'm wrong I'm going from memory here). Those have a 20' barrel, no flash hider, and don't come with a 10 round mag. I like it though, and you can get a 10 rounder for it...

So when I held all that into consideration I figured the price of the GSR really wasn't all that bad!

AWMP
December 22, 2012, 09:18 PM
Just picked one up. Great feeling rifle. Nice looking stock. Just put a conventionally mounted scope on the rifle and going to try and shoot it next week.

I have an M1A Scout, love the rifle. Carrying it out and about can be a little taxing, not light but shoots great.

I had to take off the rail to mount the scope, where can I get screws to fill the four holes I now have?

vba
December 23, 2012, 01:03 PM
What about the Savage Hog Hunter as a cheaper alternative? At least it has a 20" barrel.

http://www.cabelas.com/bolt-action-savage-arms-hog-hunter-rifle.shtml

PatientWolf
December 23, 2012, 01:06 PM
The biggest issue I see with the Savage Hog Hunter is the lack of a removable magazine.

Corrections Cop
December 24, 2012, 12:20 AM
I really like the GSR, now I am torn between that, the AR, or a Mini 30. I want a good all around rifle for defense, and target shooting. I really like the 308 compaired to the .223, plus I am also tryin to think long term, weather or not they are going to enact another ban.

Auto426
December 24, 2012, 01:35 AM
I certainly like the Gunsite Scout, and I wouldn't mind having one myself. However, the export version is the one I would try to hunt down. I don't feel like going through the hassle to get a suppressor so the threaded barrel would be useless to me. The extra 2" of barrel will help tame the muzzle blast and it gives a slightly longer sight radius when using the irons. It also comes in stainless, making caring for it easier.

Cold Trigger Finger
December 24, 2012, 04:07 PM
There were some things Cooper had well figured out. Like the short. L.O.P. , light weight rifle, useful cartridge, very easy to have with you rifle.
However, being a military man it was his fall back to have an armorer to fix broken guns x . . Ruger on the other hand has been about Tough, useful tools.
In my view the Styer Scout is an elitist toy. The scout concept in action means the rifle needs to pretty much take care of itself. The blued steel may be OK in the desert but isn't too good along the coast or in heavy rain area's. When crawling around in thick brush,crap is going to get in the action, stuff gets in the bolt face, finds its way into little extractors and plunger ejectors . I think the Ching sling is a good idea . The short L.O.P. is mandatory. I would buy one if it was in 260 Rem or 6.5 Creed with an 8" twist. It would be more generally useful. An 18" barrel would be nice. The forward mounted scope is fine, execpt in low light and lots of stuff happens in low light. .
IMO Ruger should have gone with the M1A magazine. But they wouldn't be selling many mags. All in all tho. The Ruger Scout is a winner
Anyone that wants to test the scout reality, spend a couple months roaming in the brush non stop, sleeping in a bivy sack with very limited external heat source and snow on the ground and in the brush. With no armorer to fix your 3,000$ toy the Ruger will show their superiority in a true scout environment!

R-71
December 24, 2012, 11:43 PM
Has anyone mounted a different flash suppressor or removed it?

I had a savage scout a couple years ago and couldn't warm up to it. I handled the Ruger in the LGS the other day and I like it much better than the Savage. I am a lefty so being able to get the L handed version is a big ++.

DATL
December 26, 2012, 02:23 PM
Corrections Cop, I was in your same boots. My conclusion was that upon acquiring any of the three great rifles you named- I would surely find myself still wanting {ahem} needing one of the other three. I decided that all three needed to be acquired LOL. So I'm just saving for the others. But all three are awesome rifles. Personally I started with the GSR because I understand bolt action rifles to be the most reliable.

Cold Trigger Finger, you have some good points. While I have not tried a long eye relief setup in very low light conditions- I completely agree with your statements about GSR/bolt rifle/scout setups for situations where extended periods of time would be spent out in adverse conditions with no access to an armorer. Ha ha the bit about the $3K toy is priceless. I have a relative that is a hunting guide, and I have first hand seen the confused look on a guy's face when his uber expensive tactical rifle hangs up consistently after some messy, nighttime hog hunting. I'm not making a statement against semi-auto rifles or anything like that- just pointing out how funny it is when a guy gets all dressed up like a commando but doesn't know the first thing about keeping his rifle running.

DATL
December 26, 2012, 02:46 PM
I added a Caldwell Bipod to my GSR last weekend. So far I like it a lot- it's a lot of fun. It attaches/detaches really easily. It extends from 6-9" and weighs 12 Oz.

It's a toss up - the bipod is fun but I really like how sleek and maneuverable these rifles are before all the attachments.

Hopefully I will find a nice LER scope soon- I think it may be the winner. Between the red-dot and the peep sights I think I like the peep sights best. Plus they don't need batteries!

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc45/gcwaterski/GUNS/image_zps150a48b3.jpg

Corrections Cop
December 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
DATL, thanks for advice. I think I am going to have to go with the mini 30 or the GSR. .223 AR's are all gone here for the most part I think, Stag has a 1 yr back order. So I think I could find a mini 30 and for sure a GSR because its a bolt. I wish I would have cash a while back to get an AR. I really like the looks of the GSR, and I have other bolt guns. I also shoot mini 14's at work so I familure with that platform.

STEN
December 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
DATL,

I agree with Crow Hunter. Several years ago I made my version of a scout rifle from a Savage 110 in 308. I cut the barrel down to 18.5" and re-crowned it with a Manson tool. I used a B-Square scout mount for a Rem 700 and a red dot scope. I liked the blind magazine because thats the natural balance point for carrying.
I built it mainly for deer hunting and fairly close range work. It worked very well until the plastic stock failed. It cracked where the rear pillar bolt goes through on the bottom. Cheap stock and poor design!!
I am in the process of building a new stock for that action and plan to put it back in service just like it was before.

If you are looking to build one yourself there are many options.

DATL
December 29, 2012, 01:25 AM
Ah, yeah building one sounds like a lot of fun! I know there are going to be more and more options because it seems like more and more gun manufacturers are allowing their bolt action rifles to be offered with a magazine fed platform.

After I get a good scout scope I am hoping to start a good M1a build!

jimbob86
December 29, 2012, 02:07 AM
t's a toss up - the bipod is fun but I really like how sleek and maneuverable these rifles are before all the attachments.

Besides wrecking the fast handling qualities of the Scout Rifle, that bipod is too short to use in many field situations (high grass/sage/brush) and impairs the use of a shooting sling that is useful in nearly any situation..... including just carrying the rifle.

With practice, using a shooting sling is much faster, and just as steady as a bi-pod ..... and has none of the drawbacks.

Also, remember that though they are very expensive, skills weigh nothing and take up no space at all.

DATL
December 29, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ah interesting point. FWIW the bipod in my pic is on the lowest setting but I still see your point- and agree with several of your statements! I like how one guy on here previously mentioned that in real world practicality he would just use his backpack to shoot on in lieu of a bipod.

jimbob86
December 29, 2012, 02:54 PM
I like how one guy on here previously mentioned that in real world practicality he would just use his backpack to shoot on in lieu of a bipod.

I've never voluntarily carried a ruck big enough (and packed tight enough!) to be anywhere as stable as a good shooting sling used correctly.

I do carry a pair of Stoney Point shooting sticks when hunting..... they are slow to set up, but when I sit down on stand, I set them up..... anything that is so far out that I really need them to steady the gun is far enough out that I have penty of time to get the sticks set just right ...... they take up very little space on my hunting belt when folded, weigh almost nothing, and don't get in the way when speed/handling is more important than extreme precision, like when you are facing one way and the deer sneaks up behind you......

The sticks are also useful for setting the shotgun barrel on while turkey hunting, leaving your hands free to work slate, box and shaker calls...... with the stock on your shoulder, the barrel in the sticks out in front of you, a mouth call in, and a couple of different calls in your lap, you can sound like several different turkeys- imitating a fight has brought a dozen+ jakes running across a 400 yard wide open field in the fall for me before.....