PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk .22's

new_camper
November 6, 2012, 05:09 PM
I have a bolt action .17 hmr (my first gun) that I dont shoot much because of the price of ammo. It also doesnt have open sights which at the time I thought I would like, but lately I have been wanting to practice and become proficient with open sights, as well as shooting basics overall. What are some decent (bolt semi I dont care which) 22's that can be had used at reasonable prices?

Does anyone know how much a savage blued .17 hmr less than 500 rounds through it goes for these days in case I decide to sell mine?

gaseousclay
November 6, 2012, 05:28 PM
everyone here will probably tell you Henry is the way to go in your price range. for a little more you can get a nice Winchester 9422

aarondhgraham
November 6, 2012, 05:40 PM
Savage Mk II (http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/allfirearms/) rifles,,,
They make several versions,,,
Everyone I know who owns one shoots well with them.

CZ rimfire rifles (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/by-category/rifles/),,,
Again, several different models,,,
I have a CZ-452 Special Military Trainer,,,
I know the rifle has a ton more inherent accuracy than I wring out of it.

And it's absolutely beautiful (http://www.cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-452-special-military-training-rifle/). :D

Every rifle company makes a bolt-action gun,,,
These are two brands I have seen in action.

Happy hunting.

Aarond

Redneckrepairs
November 6, 2012, 05:41 PM
CZ has several bolt models with good sights , and they are a lot of rifle for the money , though they may be higher than you like . Ruger 10-22 is a nice auto though the sights are pretty lowball as it comes from the factory . For a " budget " rifle i would look hard at marlin for either auto or bolt gun .

Hawg
November 6, 2012, 08:05 PM
Its hard to beat a Marlin for value.

taylorce1
November 7, 2012, 07:48 AM
I just picked up a used Anshutz (Savage import) .22 LR for $650, I know that sounds like a lot but it did have a Vari-X III 4.5-14x 40 AO for a scope. That scope needs to come off as it is just way too much for the little rifle but it drops the price of my rifle to about $325. My point is there are a ton of great used .22 LR out there and you can't hardly wear one out.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r155/taylorce1/Savage%20Anschutz/P1000484.jpg

Motownstan
November 7, 2012, 08:16 AM
I also like my CZ Military Trainer it has great sights and feels like a proper rifle.

Houndog
November 7, 2012, 10:07 AM
CZ.:)

geetarman
November 7, 2012, 10:15 AM
CZ 452 Trainer.

Lots of value for the dollar. They just "feel" right.

Husqvarna
November 7, 2012, 12:56 PM
CZ has models with interchangeable barrels to if you want some more umph

I am very happy with my Savage mkII

but my bro outshots me with an old SAKO .22:(

it is literary hole in hole with proper rest, and the same ammo, I get coin sized groups which is good/great enough

Wyosmith
November 7, 2012, 01:03 PM
Yeah......CZ

chris in va
November 7, 2012, 01:18 PM
I know this sounds absurd, but the little CZ Farmer I handled at our LGS is probably the most ergonomic rifle I've picked up. It shouldered like it belonged there.

m&p45acp10+1
November 7, 2012, 04:06 PM
I hate to band wagon with the crowd, though I will say CZ makes some fine rifles for any money. In my honest opinion. You can find a more expensive rifle, it may not be a better rifle. Also as far as looks go I would be hard pressed to show a rifle that looks as good as the CZ that cost less than twice as much, and would be hard pressed to show that it shot better too.

For an inexpensive rifle that you can have fun with, and learn the use of iron sights. The Mosberg 702 Plinkster is a good one for under $130. Last time I saw one in WalMart I think they were priced at about $109 plus tax. I have seen several at the range, all shot just fine. The one I fired shot minute of pop can with ease. (10 pop cans with 10 shots while kneeling at 100 yards.)

Akimbo
November 7, 2012, 05:20 PM
I agree with aarondhgraham on the Mark II. Several options are available, they're quite accurate, and very affordable for what you get.

velocette
November 7, 2012, 06:05 PM
Camper;
Find yourself a used CZ 452 Full stock. They come with excellent tangent iron sights, (rear sight slides back & forth on gradient arm like early military arms) are more accurate than most folks can hold and they fill the eye with satisfaction. I've had mine for about 3 years & it has been and is a treat to the eye and even better at the range. Not cheap but reasonable in cost but one that will always appreciate in value. If you can ignore the scope, you can see what I mean.

Roger

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p235/RogerS_photo/452FS012.jpg

Yung.gunr
November 7, 2012, 06:16 PM
For a great budget 22 bolt gun I would agree with the Savage MKII.

If your budget allows more, step up to the CZ as others have said.

I really wanted the CZ but I wanted to scope it. For the price of the CZ i could get the MKII and a scope. I went with the MKII and I am very happy with it.

If you really want to focus on the basics stick to a bolt gun.

johnwilliamson062
November 7, 2012, 11:26 PM
CZ doesn't like stainless.

Anyone ever had Savage make them a custom gun? On their website they indicate they can do tube mags by request.

crowsing
November 7, 2012, 11:38 PM
I shoot my grandmas old remington 511 scoremaster. It is old and beat up, but i can shoot squirrels open sights out to 100yrds. Very accurate and alot of fun. sure u can pick one up for cheap.

new_camper
November 8, 2012, 11:47 AM
thanks everyone

New_Pollution1086
November 8, 2012, 12:22 PM
I have a Marin semi auto and like it a lot. I know they make a bolt for a reasonable price.

Good luck and good shooting seƱor.

ps.I had to dissuade a co-worker the other day from buying a .17 as his first gun. for just plinking I see no reason to go .17 over .22.

T

new_camper
November 8, 2012, 01:16 PM
Yeah the .17 was actually given to me by my parents as my first gun and I want to hold onto it because i know that I will miss it when its gone, but I do wish that it was a .22 now because I could buy 5 times the ammo for the same money

Husqvarna
November 8, 2012, 01:18 PM
check around what a gunsmith could do for you and make your own barrel exchange platform out of your own sentimental gun

anothernewb
November 8, 2012, 01:20 PM
well, I guess I'll go against the grain. There are lots of bolt action .22's out there. but here's my .02.

It's not the most accurate, not the prettiest - but pretty near the most mass produced 22 I know of. That fact alone means you can find one - anywhere, and they're often the cheapest ones in the rack

10/22 or Marlin 60

are they tack drivers? not without some work, but they are about as common as dirt. In my area used ones are common for $150

evilleprichaun
November 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
ive never had a problem with my remington 597 its cheap, reliable, loads of fun and fairly accurate

vinflictor
November 8, 2012, 02:30 PM
Just wondering why no-one mentions the Ruger 10/22?
The O.P. States he'll consider any action, so why not the most flexible and reliable .22 platform on the market?
Nothing against the CZ bandwagon you have going, but looking at price, and superwide availability of options the 10/22 is the way to go. $179 at most retailers new. Wal-Mart version (black synthetic stock) is often less.

SPEMack618
November 8, 2012, 02:37 PM
Gonna go against th grain on this one a little bit.

First off, I love the CZ trainer, in fact, that is what my local Boy Scout council uses for it's marksmanhip programs. They are good, reliable guns.

However, for personal use, I like the Ruger 77/22.

geetarman
November 8, 2012, 03:58 PM
^^^^^^ Great choice.

I don't know why I overlooked them. M77 actions work fine for me and I already have a couple of M77V rifles.

mr.t7024
November 8, 2012, 08:03 PM
You ought to look at The Marlin 60. It is an inexpensive 22. Accuracy is awesome. In my opinion it will out shoot the Ruger out of the box, and you won't have to sell your .17.:) Cliff

SPEMack618
November 8, 2012, 09:13 PM
I don't know why I overlooked them. M77 actions work fine for me and I already have a couple of M77V rifles.

That they are. It is definintly the "little brother" to my M-77 Mk II in 7mm Rem Mag.

Another plus, it uses the same rotary mag as the 10/22 so you can standardize.

Joe Chicago
November 8, 2012, 09:28 PM
Another vote for CZ: they are very accurate and come with great factory sights. You should also look at new or used Marlin bolts, which are also very accurate and far less expensive. You can buy good quality after market aperture sights for many .22 rifles from Tech-Sight - I have them on my Marlin 60 and they are great.

Speaking of semi-automatics, you may want to look at the Marlin 60 or 795. They are very inexpensive, accurate and they function reliably.

bamaranger
November 9, 2012, 01:01 AM
The OP wants a "reaonable price". CZ's are great, but they are a bunch of cash for a .22. I'm suggesting a Ruger 10/22.

Buy one at Wally World for less than $200. Shoot it as is. When the urge strikes to change, there is a whole raft of accessories for the 10/22.

And.......whoever sold Mom & Dad a .17 as a starter rifle/plinker should sell something else besides guns.

aarmel732
November 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
Marlin XT-22 cost me $190 OTD, and has been reliable, accurate and fun. I just picked up a Marlin 795 for $100 on armslist and has been stone cold reliable too, plus it shares mags with the XT. My Dad shoots a 10/22 and a friend shoots a Marlin 60 tube. All of us have a fun time, and over boxes and boxes of cheap bulk, there have been no issues. All the guns shoot better than we do! The CZ's are fine weapons, but don't overlook some of your other choices!

johnwilliamson062
November 11, 2012, 05:20 PM
Citadel M1 Carbine. I don't know how accurate they are, but they look great and have the sights on them.

Looking for another gun and I nixed marlins from my list.

Tempest 455
November 12, 2012, 07:25 PM
I've got a Marlin 60 and love it but it's not a Savage MKII. The Savage will shoot 1 MOA at 100 (or less on a good day) however, the best ever w/ the Marlin was 1.5" five round group at 100. I love it but it's not a target rifle.

ripnbst
November 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
I will put another vote out for the Mossberg 702 Plinkster. Mine has been great since day one. Never tested accuracy at 100 but at 50 it will hold a nice group.

shurshot
November 16, 2012, 07:48 PM
Locate an old Marlin Glenfield Bolt action .22. Most will out shoot most of the newer guns, and were built very rugged.

jmstr
November 17, 2012, 03:16 AM
Another vote for the Marlin brand.

I have the model 60 semi-auto and the model 39a lever action. Both are great shooters. I highly recommend the model 60/model 795 [diff is basically tube fed magazine vs detachable magazine], as they should cost new under $300 easily, after fees/taxes. And used they can be had closer to $100. Great knock-about guns!

CZs are very nice. They cost more in the area of a new Model 39A lever action though.

If you goal is a low-cost plinker for cheap recreational shooting, I'd say you should check out the Marlin and the Ruger 10/22. Both have good reputations and won't break the bank.

Ignition Override
November 17, 2012, 04:43 AM
If a unique foreign gun might be welcome, you might spot a Romanian M-69 Trainer (bolt-action) for about $150 at a gun show.
Mine is very light and handy, though you might consider a new Marlin 60, as many suggest.