PDA

View Full Version : Marlin x17 HMR

blackhawk8
November 6, 2012, 05:01 PM
im interested in Marlin 17HMR..anyoone have one and what are your thoughts on it..thnaks

presence
November 6, 2012, 09:56 PM
i have one. one of the ones w/ the 100 pound bull barrel. its a great little, heavy gun, and i really like it. i love the round itself, but the wind really seems to carry it off target once you get out so far. i've honestly never had a bad marlin.

mine is a model 917vs

alex0535
November 7, 2012, 06:56 AM
Own a Marlin 917v. Has a heavy barrel, looks like yours with a different stock.

Mine has the T-900 trigger system which is not adjustable and I found it to be a little heavy. With very basic tools and parts I got into the trigger and removed the trigger return spring. This was replaced by a pen spring that I cut to the same length. Put everything back together and I am now very happy with the weight of trigger pull.

Group from 50 yards shooting prone with a bi-pod. Redfield 4-12x Accu-range reticle.
http://oi48.tinypic.com/5eeb28.jpg

Needless to say, it shoots so good that I will never part with it.

I don't notice much problems with wind but this isn't usually a very windy place. Any squirrel within 150 yards of its barrel is in mortal danger.

I can't remember the last time that a squirrel that I shot at with it managed to get away. I aim for the heart, hit them in the heart, and they drop like a stone.

alex0535
November 7, 2012, 09:57 AM
Just killed two more squirrels with my marlin .17 hmr, around 50 and 80 yards.

pltx2000
March 4, 2015, 01:34 PM
It blows up in your face (like mine did). Had purchased extended warranty from Gander Mountain ... it's been 2months since I turned it in for repair, still don't have it back.

FiveInADime
March 4, 2015, 03:22 PM
It blows up in your face (like mine did). Had purchased extended warranty from Gander Mountain ... it's been 2months since I turned it in for repair, still don't have it back.
Ammo issue? I've heard a lot of 17hm2 had case ruptures, does that apply to the HMR too?

BIG P
March 5, 2015, 01:43 AM
Mines a critter getter. grounds hogs hate them.Shot a yote last saturday @ 205yds.He made it about 25yds out went the lights.Pretty bad little rifle.

pltx2000
March 15, 2015, 07:55 PM
I've seen, on several occasions, that my Marlin XT-17V would not feed properly and when advancing the bolt the bullet would end up inside the case. I suspect this is what happened, except, that this time the round made into the chamber even though the bullet was inside the case. It blew up the clip housing and the bolt was shredded back to where you could only move it back a couple of inches. Still waiting on FA from factory (it's been 2 1/2 months now).

power5
March 16, 2015, 07:02 PM
I have the savage version which is nearly identical. I compared both before purchase.

Indoor at 100 yards 2 weeks ago. This is with 17gr vmax federal premium.
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/15/03/16/ca40f3c69f50a2af021e90ce7f8a01c3.jpg

lamarw
March 16, 2015, 07:16 PM
I am pleased with my 917V.

SVTCobra306
March 21, 2015, 11:10 PM
I had a 917 VS (maybe VSR?) for a while. I liked everything about the rifle but the barrel length and weight. I traded it in only because the LGS got in a Savage 93 in stainless with a sporter barrel, and my primary use for the rifle is carrying it all over the timber hunting deer sheds, squirrels, and rabbits. The heavy barrel was not a good fit for my use. If they had gotten an XT-17 with a sporter barrel, that would have been my choice.

SwwPlayboy
March 23, 2015, 11:08 AM
I love my 17 HMR. I have a Savage 93R17 TRR-SR with a Redfield scope. $300 more than the Marlin 917 but it came with additions you can play with. My Wife has the Savage 93R17 BRJ. We've spent many hours outside playing battle ship with them at 50-100 yards. As said in a previous post, wind can really make a difference with a 17 HMR but that makes it more fun IMO. We've each put well over 1000 through each and have never had an issue with the gun. Ammo on the other hand, Ive tried them all and Hornady has been the most faithful. Winchester and CCI, every single box I bought, 1 in 10 wouldn't fire. Remington has also been good but I just prefer Hornady.