PDA

View Full Version : Dream gun... is there something out there ???

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 03:50 PM
today I'm thinking of a stainless bolt action 223 with a common changeable box magazine... anyone making anything like that right now ???

I have a couple nicer blued bolt action 223's, but wouldn't mind something a bit more "rough & tumble" maybe a good composite stock ( though laminated would be prefered )

I can't seem to remember seeing anything like this ???

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:11 PM
did a little searching, something like the Ruger scout rifle in 223...

only thing even close is a Browning X bolt with the detatch mag that attaches to the dump box floor plate

Jimro
November 6, 2012, 04:11 PM
No, closest you'll get is the Mossberg MVP, no stainless option. GI magazines and a composite stock though.

Jimro

Husqvarna
November 6, 2012, 04:16 PM
tikkas varmint comes in .223 and with a stainless barrel, synthetic stock, box magazine

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:19 PM
ooo.... that is pretty close... I see it come with a laminated stock... nothing stainless though ???

I really like my lil CZ... but something that takes the double stack would be cool

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:27 PM
the only Tika I find looks like the scout, which looks to be discontinued ???

otherwise, I see some with 5 round mags...

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:35 PM
Mossberg Preditor series gets me pretty close to what I'm after... the regular MPV has a bench rest syle stock... I like the preditor series stock better... offered in both a light weight & bull barrel... but seem to be out of stock anywhere they've been listed

ahhh... but lots of them listed on Gun Broker

jglsprings
November 6, 2012, 04:36 PM
I'm sorry Mr Magnum,

You have the wrong gun... The correct dream gun is a H&H 375 double rifle.

http://www.hollandandholland.com/royaldouble.php

OOOOOH! You meant "your" dream rifle (sorry)... Carry on!

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:40 PM
JGL... & not really my "dream rifle" just one I'm dreaming of today :o

& I'd love a big double rifle myself... I did get one of the Russian side by sides in 45-70, & that one is fun to play with... but it's no H&H rifle though

johnwilliamson062
November 6, 2012, 04:42 PM
Someone was making a conversion to rem 700 that took stanag mags.

Found some info:
http://www.remingtonowners.com/topic179.html
Someone here probably owns all of those.

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:45 PM
I'd be interested in more info there, if anyone knew more...

taylorce1
November 6, 2012, 04:46 PM
I don't quite understand "common changeable magazine", most manufacturers use a proprietary detachable box magazine (DBM) but I'll wing it.

Savage makes a Model 12 VLP with DBM, Laminated stock, and fluted stainless steel barrel. Weighs in at 10 lbs unscoped so it isn't a packing around rifle. The Savage Model 16 FCSS with DBM, synthetic stock and sporter weight SS barrel.

Browning has the White Gold and Stainless Stalker X-Bolts both in .223 and DBM. The White Gold has a walnut stock and the Stalker is composite.

Remington has the SPS stainless steel but it isn't a DBM, but there are a lot of conversions out there to make it so as well as people making laminated stocks to fit it.

Probably the rifle that intrests me the most is the Ruger Laminated SS compact, but it doesn't have DBM and there is no way to covert it at the present time that I know of to a DBM styl rifle.

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 04:57 PM
actually if Ruger offered their scout rifle in 223, that's what I was envisioning, as well as the Mossberg MVP preditor ( if it were stainless )

an AR type magazine is what I was thinking... however I saw some of the pics on Gun Broker of the MVP, with 30 round AR mags, & that just looks impractical... but 10 rounders pre loaded would make tons of P. doggie fun...

as mentioned, I have a couple blued rifles, but could find a place for a stainless model... I suppose a Rem 700 SPS with a mag conversion is likely my best bet for what I'm looking for ( though will admit I do like the laminated stocks better than the glass stocks )

Magnum Wheel Man
November 6, 2012, 05:04 PM
thanks JW... that was an interesting link...

johnwilliamson062
November 6, 2012, 05:06 PM
BOOM!!! (https://dbmg-llc.3dcartstores.com/Detachable-AR-mag-bottom-metal_p_26.html)

Almost makes me consider a remington.

Here is the further question, can you then use a Colt conversion to make this work for 22LR?
One of the others for the pistol calibers?

So, if you did this to a REMAGE, could you have a multi-caliber bolt rifle that could use "standard" mags for all those calibers?

barnbwt
November 7, 2012, 08:20 PM
^Cool, if they ever make a Rem700 bottom metal for M14/M1A/FAL mags my .308 will be first in line (I love how they allude to a Beta C in the link. Classic :D). 'Bout time someone did a box-mag conversion that doesn't rely on 70$ propriertary mags :mad:

TCB

jehu
November 8, 2012, 07:31 AM
Take a look at Sako Stainless Varmint or Stainless Hunter. In 223 they only import the 1:8 twist so I don't know what you want to shoot.

Magnum Wheel Man
November 8, 2012, 07:53 AM
anyone know if Sako does a short & long action ??? they show an XS & an S action ( don't know if that is extra short, & short or ??? )... I really like the Tika rifles, but wouldn't buy a 223, because the rifles all use a long bolt... just somehow seems wrong to run the extra stroke, more than needed for the cartridge length... like I said, I do like them, & a stainless .270 Tika is in my future, just not so keen on the shorter cartridges through the Tika...

BTW... Sakos tech page shows 2 twist rates available ( I know, that doesn't mean both are "really" availble )

http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/85VarmintLaminatedSS.pdf

jehu
November 8, 2012, 10:11 AM
I have a Sako Stainless Varmint in 22-250 and it is a Ground Hogs worst nightmare. My 223 is a Weatherby Super Predator Master 1:12 twist. I would have gotten the 223 Sako Stainless Varmint but Sako, for no good reason that I could determine, does not import it in the 1:12 twist which I wanted for the lighter bullits. They only import the 1:8.

taylorce1
November 8, 2012, 11:28 AM
Sako uses different action lengths unlike Tikka. This is the best description I can find on the different action lengths but is on the Sako 75 (http://www.sako.fi/pdf/specs/75HunterStainless.pdf). My guess is that there are different magazine lengths and bolt throws a 1:12 twist .223 can't run long bullets like the 1:8, so they put it in a medium action instead of a short so you can run longer bullets.

Husqvarna
November 8, 2012, 01:08 PM
the tikka has got both a spacer and they do something with the bolt to make it short action even if it is produced as a long one

Husqvarna
November 8, 2012, 01:09 PM
but if you got the money for a sako by all means, tikkas are great but sakos:cool:

my bud got one in 222 it is so sleek and wonderful

SSA
November 9, 2012, 11:33 AM
Savage site shows 4 models. 223, stainless, detachable mag.