PDA

View Full Version : Bolt/Lefty/Threaded/Detachable box

flavoredWillard
November 6, 2012, 09:39 AM
Hi, I'm a first-time poster, many-many-time reader. I know you're thinking Ruger GSR, and i would love one, but i can't afford .308 ammo. Aside from the specs in the title, I'm open to any suggestions/chamberings. Growing up, all i hunted with was right-handed bolts, so i could possibility give in on that. Intended purpose: general hunting/defense/tack driving.

Thanks!

jimbob86
November 6, 2012, 10:11 AM
Short of Milurp stuff, or carbine calibers(.223, .357, .30/30) ..... it does not get much cheaper than .308 WIN.

There are good deals on lefty guns out there, particularly used ones on consignment racks.

If you want a GP rifle ..... .308 is good caliber choice.

If you want to be able to afford to shoot more, of ANY caliber, handload.

It is not rocket science. Follow simple steps, diligently, take no shortcuts, understand what it is you are doing, and you can cut the cost of most centerfire ammo in half, and make better ammo, in the long run. The key is that last part: The Long Run. It's not an instant gratification thing, and many people don't have the attention span for it.

alex0535
November 6, 2012, 10:32 AM
I am a lefty, and it is frustrating with the lack of left handed options.

I plan to get a Remington 700 SPS Youth Compact .243 win. The varmint version just weighs too much for what I am doing and probably what you want to do.

Basically I came to the conclusion that because there is just such a lack of lefty bolt actions available, I might as well build one that will do everything I need it to and it will be a rifle that I have my entire life and the last bolt action I need.

.243 is a necked down .308. If I manage to wear out the replacement .243 barrel and feel like moving up to something larger at that point the next barrel would probably be a .308.

If you are looking for something affordable that has great out of the box accuracy, look towards Savage. They have a pretty good selection of left handed rifles as well.

Husqvarna
November 6, 2012, 10:56 AM
I also hunted/shot right sided rifles but do not give in, when you go lefthanded you will be a better/safer shooter.

I love my tikka t3 SS

, buy a lefthanded .22lr if you are concerned with ammo prices, I love my savage mkII

math teacher
November 6, 2012, 01:55 PM
I too am a lefty. You mentioned a detachable box. By that I assume you meant a detachable magazine. Savage should have a left hand model with one. Remington makes the 700 with a detachable magazine, but perhaps not in a left hand version. No matter, Cabelas sells the Kwik Klip assembly which converts the 700 BDL to a detachable magazine. It is drop in and easy to install. It may be for long action only in which case you might consider a 30-06. I have used one for years and have a couple of extra magazines (clips.)

ripnbst
November 6, 2012, 11:39 PM
I don't know about lefty but check out the Mossberg MVP.

FloridaVeteran
November 7, 2012, 12:15 AM
I'm also a lefty. The Remington 700 BDL I bought 40+ years ago, in .270 Win, is still a great, good-looking, reliable rifle. Used ones (in a variety of calibers) should not be difficult to find. The sorta good news is that owners of my generation now are dying off and their wives and children are selling the guns. Most left-handed guns are not passed on, due to the shortage of left-handed sons or grandchildren who also want to shoot such rifles. A possible win-win for you.

If I were wanting to buy an AR-style rifle (which I'm not), I'd be tempted to try out a Stag in right-handed, then decide of left-handed is the way to go.

cbuck
November 8, 2012, 02:38 PM
also a lefty and have a left handed tikka t3 stainless, detachable mags and a left handed bolt. they offer a bunch of different t3s but i dont think they have a threaded barrel option. if you can live without one the t3 will punch a ragged hole right out of the box all day long. as far as ammo goes you could get one in 223 but its not going to be much cheaper than the surplus 7.62 that you can use in the 308 version. if your trying to shoot cheaper 22lr is the way to go

Metal god
November 8, 2012, 05:20 PM
Savage Model: 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP for about $600 with Nikon scope included

They make this model left handed in just about every caliber you would ever need From 204 Ruger to 30-06

Kreyzhorse
November 9, 2012, 08:17 AM
As a lefty, don't settle. A left handed bolt action really makes difference.

I'd also suggest a lefty Savage 110. I hunt with a 7mm Rem Mag and the gun is just flat out scary accurate and reliable as any thing.

GeauxTide
November 11, 2012, 08:06 PM
and i would love one, but i can't afford .308 ammo

Stick with a 22 if you can't go Wally 308 for $18 a box.