PDA

View Full Version : A 1st For A Henry Big Boy

Shotgun693
November 5, 2012, 01:04 AM
We had a Cowboy shoot Saturday. For the very first, and only, time I saw a Big Boy finish a match without a failure. If I live long enough I might see another one.

rebs
November 5, 2012, 06:44 AM
Who is we ? Was it a sanctioned match or you and some friends ?
So what is it you are trying to say ?

chipchip
November 5, 2012, 11:36 AM
What kind of failure have you seen?

chipchip
November 5, 2012, 11:38 AM
What other lever actions where used in the match?

Bamashooter
November 5, 2012, 05:59 PM
How many people were shooting Henry's? Did it win the match? What exactly is your point sir?

Shotgun693
November 5, 2012, 10:46 PM
This was a SASS sanctioned local shoot. There were all types of Cowboy guns used, from '73 clones to Marlins. I've seen many Big Boys shot but this was the first time that I've ever seen one make it completely through a shoot without some type of failure that rendered the gun inoperable. It was a brand new .45.

rebs
November 6, 2012, 10:31 PM
I wasn't aware they made it in a 45.

Magnum Wheel Man
November 7, 2012, 07:50 AM
I've always heard they were smooth & reliable... so are you saying that you're seeing otherwise ???

... that said, I understand they are not optimum for CAS... too heavy, to long a stroke on the lever... perhaps the ones being used are by people short stroking them ???

I'm not defending Henry, I don't own one yet ( will likely buy a 22 just for fun sometimes ) but do own 2 levers I ( we ) use for CAS... my old 38 / 357 custom Rossi has a pretty long stroke, so I know in person what happens when those get short stroked... still I've never had a problem finishing a stage... I usually end up ejecting a live round, & end up with that as a "miss"

Shotgun693
November 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
I've seen Henry's fail to feed, double feed, fail to extract and lock up. This was the first time I've seen one finish a match without some kinda failure. I have loaned my '73 to a few shooters so they could finish a match.