PDA

View Full Version : Remington 700 ADL

Hot_Lead
November 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
Hello everybody.

At my local Academy Sports & Outdoors, they have some Remington 700 ADL's in stock for $380 and I was going to pick one up. They have them available in .243, .25-06, .270, .308, and .30-06. If I end up buying one, it will likely be a .30-06, or possibly a .270.

Anyways, I was wondering what kind of accuracy/groups I can expect with moderate-quality, factory ammo (Remington Core-Lokt, Winchester Super X, etc.)? Could I get MOA or lower?

I was also wondering what you guys think of the ADL itself. Is it as good as any other Remington 700? Or is the BDL, or SPS better quality/more accurate?

Thanks.

jmr40
November 2, 2012, 08:36 PM
The only mechanical difference between the ADL and the others is that the ADL has a blind magazine. As far as accuracy or reliability it is really luck. You will probably find most to be about equal and you could get a bad example from any of them.

The SPS is the same budget gun, but with a floorplate. The BDL and CDL's are better finished with walnut stocks.

I actually like the ADL a little better. You save money, there is no floorplate to malfunction, they are lighter, and the stocks are stiffer which in theory helps accuracy. It takes about 5 seconds longer to unload your gun without a floorplate.

silvrjeepr
November 2, 2012, 09:32 PM
My 270 adl was MOA when I bought it 19 years ago. Since then, I gave it a good bedding and cut that number in half. Will yours do the same? Who knows, but at that price I'd jump on one in a heartbeat.

ripnbst
November 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
Can the ADL with blind mag be as easily restocked into a Bell&Carlson, McMillan, etc as compared to an SPS or other mag format rifle?

SSA
November 2, 2012, 10:18 PM
Two of the most accurate rifles I've ever been around are short action ADL's.

No problem finding stocks or any other parts.

jmr40
November 3, 2012, 12:02 AM
Can the ADL with blind mag be as easily restocked into a Bell&Carlson, McMillan, etc as compared to an SPS or other mag format rifle?

There are fewer options, but yes. All of the high end stock makers such as McMillan, MPI, Brown Precision, etc. offer blind magazine options. You find quite a few custom rifles built with these stocks and ADL parts to save weight.

There are fewer options from the cheaper stock makers. I don't think Hogue offers one and B&C's only option is designed for an ADL Mt rifle. You can buy it and open up the barrel channel for the larger contour of a standard barrel ADL but for a couple of reasons I don't recommend it.

math teacher
November 3, 2012, 12:49 AM
You can put an after market BDL stock on it and add a Kwik Klip detachable magazine assembly available from Cabelas or MidwayUSA has a more expensive version if you so choose. Be sure to get extra magazines. As a starter, that is a heck of a price and the only difference is the stock.

warbirdlover
November 3, 2012, 02:14 AM
Before buying, HANDLE it, cycle the bolt. Check the trigger pull. Look down the barrel. And a .270 is a good choice.

hooligan1
November 3, 2012, 09:01 AM
Yep, that ADL would be nice to have if it didn't come with any extra Remington problems,, but the price is right. Maybe a guy could live with some of those Quirks. I bet my bottom dollar that this rifle will shoot as well as any of them.
Finding the right commercial ammo is half the fun,,, I'd definetly go with the .270 winchester, or the .308.:)

Joe Chicago
November 3, 2012, 01:04 PM
I had a 1997 700ADL in 30-06 that shot just over an inch at 100 yards (and probably would have performed better with a more skilled shooter). I would be wary, however, about Big Green's quality.

ripnbst
November 3, 2012, 08:40 PM
I bought one in .308 today. Thanks for the heads up on the deal. I was surprised at how light the rifle was. I had a Mossberg ATR 100 in .270 and it was much more heavy than the ADL I just picked up. No scope for it yet, ordered a badger ord scope base for it this evening. We will see how it shoots here in a little while.

Rjmurrayjr
November 3, 2012, 10:58 PM
I cant speak for the 700, but i have 2 friends with the 770 in 30-06 and they are both incredibly accurate. we did not have targets on hand but both could break 12 oz beer botles with every shot for 20 shots at 100 yards with the factory bushnell scope. there are claims of misfires with all remington bolt actions but i still want one and will buy in the next few months.

ripnbst
November 4, 2012, 05:06 PM
Buy a 700. Head and shoulders above the 770's.

ripnbst
November 4, 2012, 09:19 PM
So here's a question: With free floating the barrel being a known easy way to get more accuracy out of a rifle, why do manufacturers still make rifles without free floated barrels?

My ADL barrel seems "partially floated". I haven't shot mine yet, waiting on a base and scope to arrive so don't take this question as an indicator about the accuracy of the ADL I bought. Just an observation and general question.

coyota1
November 4, 2012, 10:03 PM
The blind magazine isn't an issue for me. My 722 is the same way; just rack em out when you are done, and don't shoot yourself in the foot.