PDA

View Full Version : Maybe not the worlds easiest Mauser question

Blue Duck357
December 18, 2000, 09:15 PM
Disassembling my mauser 98 bolt like always, however this time I forgot to put the safety in the upper position as instructed :o. Got one turn on the rear section before I noticed, now everthings stuck and I can't go either way with it or move the safety to the correct postion, any ideas?

Thanks for any help, Blue Duck

James K
December 18, 2000, 10:21 PM
I assume the bolt is out of the gun and the safety is in the fire (left) position. If so, simply put the front bottom of the cocking piece against a solid surface like a table edge or a block of wood (not steel) and push the bolt body forward until the safety can be swung into the middle position. From there it is normal disassembly.

Jim

Blue Duck357
December 19, 2000, 08:28 AM
Jim all your assumptions were right, but I'm still not having much luck. Does this move require a lot of force?, I didn't want to really "stand" on it till I found out if I could bend something by accident.

Thanks for the help, Blue Duck

Paul B.
December 19, 2000, 10:25 AM
Blue Duck. The firing pin spring is pretty stiff. It will take a bit of force to move it.
Paul B.

Blue Duck357
December 19, 2000, 08:09 PM
:DGot it!:D

Thanks Jim and Paul, really appreciate you taking the time to help me out.

Regards, Blue Duck

James K
December 19, 2000, 11:55 PM
FYI, the hole in some 98 Mauser stocks, or the dished end of the stock bolt in others, is used to hold the firing pin tip when removing the cocking piece. A wood block does as well, and I have a hole in the work bench for the purpose.

Jim