PDA

View Full Version : Removing forearm slide from Higgins M20? New guy with 'new' old gun.

Bilzpost
November 2, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hi gang. New guy here. I wanted a new project gun to tinker with so I picked up a J C Higgins Model 20 16 gauge the other day ($80!). I did a complete tear down and clean up but could not figure out how to remove the forearm slide assembly. Do I have to unscrew the magazine tube to get this off? Also, does anybody know any tricks for removing the fore arm nut to remove the forearm wood? Looks like it takes a special tool. If needed I can usually fabricate something that gets the job done.

This 16 Ga is numbered 583.2050 which makes production around 1960. The exterior metal has a bad case of powder rust but it should clean up good enough for the rough country quail hunting we do here in the Arizona desert mountains...though I am kicking around the idea of having it parkerized. The internals show wear but still looks good and it cycles slick as snot. The extracter claw is still sharp so the gun's far from being shot out. The barrel bore cleaned up real nice, shiny bright with no pitting!

It's been years since I used anything but a synthetic stocked shotgun. I was pleasently surprised how much better the balance of this wood stocked gun feels. It is about 3/4 pd heavier than the Mossy I been using ( 7pds 8oz vs 6pds 11oz) but the better balance point seems to make it just as quick to mount.

Okay, I've been rambling long enough. Looking forward to sharing some good threads here on the Firing Line. See ya around the forum....

johnbt
November 2, 2012, 07:07 PM
This is a .pdf file of the manual. http://stevespages.com/pdf/jchiggins_20.pdf

I love these old manuals: "To Dismantle Gun (Do Only When Necessary)"

Part #33 appears to be the "Forehand Operating Sleeve Front Nut". The drawing isn't very clear.

John

Goatwhiskers
November 2, 2012, 09:41 PM
The number you gave is not a serial number, rather it is the numerical designation of that gun used by Sears. I'll cross-reference the gun tomorrow to see what you have. GW

Goatwhiskers
November 3, 2012, 08:21 AM
You have a High Standard Model 200, wasn't made very long but not much different from the Flite King model. The mag tube in those is not screwed in but detaches at the front end and is slid out of the pump tube, then you have enough slack to disengage the action bars from the bolt. All this is from my weak memory, haven't seen one of those in at least 30 years. GW